The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeh depending on what kind of size venues bands play is more down to what kind of tour they are playing. Bullet for My Valentine are playing a 20 date UK tour in venues that probably hold between 1,000-3,000 people. That's a lot of punters over 20 dates. They could quite easily trim that down a large arena tour and just for 3-4 shows. They are still a big draw.

If they do get the nod the backlash from the elitists is going to be hilarious.

• Paid Members

exactly, i vaguely remember Trivium being quality at Bloodstock, i went a little OTT on the beer on the friday but everyone i was with seemed to enjoy it. I think too much stock is put in how the headliner will go down, the festival crowd is a different sort of vibe to a solo show. One of the best examples was when Download put Feeder on to headline in 2005, i don't recall the reaction online but i imagine it was seething. I was there and they went down a treat on the Friday night. Im fairly certain there were metal or punk bands playing elsewhere at the same time if someone wasn't interested.

off point, but anyone hear the Jasta Podcast with Matt Heafy from Trivium, they talk quite abit about the weird love/hate relationship Trivium have with metal fans, pretty interesting.

Once they got the issues with the second guitar sorted, they were spot on.

There was one guy right near us who was moaning the whole way through, so we started to try and find the gun that was being pointed to his head but to no avail. I just said to him "look, if you don't want to watch them, go watch someone else and leave the people who do want to watch them to enjoy it. Stop being a martyr". It's not something I would usually do and I'm not a confrontational type of person, but his moaning was in incessant.

I haven't checked out the Heafy interview with Jasta, but I will. I like Matt Heafy, he seems like a really nice guy.

Gary Holt has been on the Jasta podcast recently too, so will check that out to hear him talk the new Slayer stuff.

Speaking of which, what do we make to the new Slayer album? I know your not going to get any drastically different from them, but there some interesting parts on there, which makes me wonder how involved Holt will have been to the writing process

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

ahhh, i've never experienced anything like that at Bloodstock, what a twonk. I missed the start of Trivium's set because we were watching the Pritchard vs. Dainton thing on the second stage (which was beyond awful) and hit a few rides.

i've listened to the Holt interview. He wasn't involved in any of the writing process, he said he walked in, recorded his parts and left. I haven't given it a real good listen yet (the Slayer album), but what i did hear sounded great.

I'm weird with new albums, im happy they are out but i sometimes wait until i actually listen. Like i still haven't heard the new Maiden album.

• Paid Members

The new 'Heart of a Coward' album is an absolute beast. I was a fan before but on this one they've managed to write catchier choruses rather than just a full out assault. It's still heavy as fuck but much more accessible, like Slipknot's heavier moments. The new Clutch is great too.

• Paid Members

Clutch is another one i ain't got around to listening too!

I'll check the Heart of a Coward album, caught em live at Ghostfest a month or two back and whilst id like em to drop the cheesy stage banter/crowd participation shit they were solid.

Fair play to BFMV, from what i hear they pulled a solid crowd last night in York. Judging by how busy the bar i was DJing in became after they finished, it definitely backs that up. I guess for me i just don't see them as healdiners. One of those bands that will forever be the bridesmaid, but never the bride. But then that is purely my opinion. I actually had the discussion last night along the same lines as this, and we pretty much settled on BMTH being the band that should be given the top slot if it's going to be one of them. They are definitely the band of the moment and capitalising on that now would be the smart play, especially if it creates a new headline level band for future years.

Do they usually announce on there? If not, it must be a pretty big name to warrant doing so

They have all 3 headliners locked in and apparently they are REALLY good this year. According to Vicky Hungerford anyway. She's quite excited about them. Apparently they've picked up some great acts across the bill this year.

Saw Fall Out Boy in Bournemouth last night. Rubbish really, played more new stuff than old, missed out a couple of their bigger tracks (The Michael Jackson covers that got proper recordings/music videos) and just people deciding to film the entire gig on their iPhone rather than enjoy the moment. Properly pissed me off. Sounded alright but shite crowd ruined it for me and my brother. Also Pete Wentz has to be the most overrated bass guitar player in the history of music? Wasn't interested in it at all last night. Spoke a few times sounding depressed and just went through the songs playing pretty much stuff you could be taught after about 2 bass guitar lessons. Just couldn't get into the gig at all.

Support was some really bizzare act called Mat & Kim who have to be YouTubed as they're indescribable. Think the ting things meet the wiggles. Also Professor Green who's stocks obviously fallen massively to now be a support act..

Edited by seanz25