The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Seeing as a few people have mentioned some of the bands already, what do you guys reckon to this 'new wave' of pop punk with bands like The Wonder Years, The Story So Far, Knuckle Puck, Neck Deep etc. I've been jamming Knuckle Pucks new one and it's pretty damn solid.

I have this weird thing with pop punk where I almost feel too old for it, maybe it's me clinging onto youth or something. It makes me feel better knowing some of the guys in these bands are my age or older. I guess I never had a massive problem with the style per se, it was more the shitty bands that sung about absolute garbage and all the naff joke bands. Some of this new stuff though is hitting the mark

I hear you Ralph. Pop punk is a weird genre. I think it's to do with certain bands within the genre basically being promoted and pushed as pop bands. Bands like All Time Low, 5 Seconds of Summer etc. it's just happy, breezy shit that appeals to a younger crowd. Nowt wrong with it per se, it's just aimed at that kind of audience. It gets to a point where they are like boy bands with guitars.

Kerrang! did a Top 50 Pop Punk (which was a expansive list surprisingly) list last week that i browsed at and a lot of the bands in there i wouldn't necessarily even label pop-punk but i guess it all fits under the same umbrellla.

As for Blink 182, to their credit i always felt they tried to distance themself from fart joke thing a long time ago. Their S/T album and the one they put out when they reformed especially were worlds away from What's My Age Again? and all that stuff. The problem with Blink 182 is that they hold a special place for a lot of people who grew up with them as their favorite band and stuff so fans wanna see them do all the stupid shit they used to do just for nostalgia's sake. Tom Delongue couldn't look less enthused playing all that stuff live is his life depended on it.

...and yes Ralph, Stuck Mojo are great! They are probably gonna tour over here again at some point, you need to do see them... what albums are you diggin?

• Paid Members

I have ordered "snappin necks" for now, only paid a few quid for it so thought why the hell not, hardly worth downloading when i can buy it for that much

Pop punk for me is a strange thing, stuff like all time low, hit the lights etc i cant stand but i enjoy a bit of goldfinger, bodyjar, but nothing will compare to, in my eyes at least, one of the originators of pop upnk, Descendents

I really wish they toured more than they do

On a side note, i am really enjoying the vaccines and mumford and sons at the moment, indie music is something i disliked for ages, but thesedays i can cope with it in small does, man, i think i am getting old

Snappin' Necks is great, they changed up their sound quite a bit after that though. Pigwalk and Rising are probably considered the two definitive Stuck Mojo records. I live Declaration of a Headhunter as well though, but the input from Bonz the rapper was limited at that point. The live album HVY1 is quality too, and i aint a big fan of live albums.

Bands like Descendents are a world away from All Time Low and the like. but it's still considered pop punk... i think the term pop punk is so far gone though that if anyone mentions it people think dick jokes and Blink 182.

Im like you Ralph, as i get older im getting into loads more styles of rock music that i would never have listened to back in the day. I've always had a varied type of music taste but i always used to stick within the confines of stuff you would see in Kerrang! or Metal Hammer, i still love that stuff as much as ever but i've definitely branched out, i just take it all in.

There's a young kid i work who's around 18, and he's just getting into music but very much loves the more popular kind of stuff at the moment. He went to see the Foo Fighter's last weekend and his review of Iggy Pop (who he'd never heard of) was 'worst thing ive ever seen'...i remember a similar reaction from me and my mates when we saw Iggy back at the Leeds Festival about 13-14 years ago :laugh: that put a smile on my face, i guess certain things don't make sense until later on. 

Edited by Ebb

Just got two tickets to see Creeper @ Southampton on Haloween. Not heard much of them but like what I have. Anyone seen them live? Any good?

Huge fan of this band. Seen them live four times since they formed last year and I'm going to be at that show too. One of my favourite live acts.

Edited by pitseleh

Bands like Descendents are a world away from All Time Low and the like. but it's still considered pop punk... i think the term pop punk is so far gone though that if anyone mentions it people think dick jokes and Blink 182.

The Descendents still have their share of dick jokes, they were so far ahead of their time that if they released Milo goes to college in the late 90s it would've been insanely popular. Bad Religion and NOFX are the only pop punk bands I still listen to. I was never really into Blink and Sum 41, ETC at the time anyway.

• Paid Members

Yeh i guess they do :) they wrote some incredibly stupid songs, the perception is completely different though. Probably all down to mainstream exposure and music tv.

Im more of an ALL guy than Descendents though, i love both but the albums ALL did with Chad Price are better than any Descendents record for me.

Edited by Ebb

Been a good week for me. Went to see Ricky Warwick and Damon Johnson doing an acoustic show here in York last Tuesday, just fantastic stuff from 2 great performers. Lots of Black Star Riders and Thin Lizzy as expected. But some great surprises too like Summertime Blues and Little Red Corvette. And Damon Johnson's own 'Pontiac' is still an amazing song. Very intimate show with 65 tickets sold in advance and only a handful more on the door. The guys hung around after for a natter, class acts the pair of them..

11147134_10153299658298558_9726170747027

Then we did the Wildhearts on Leeds last night. Set was 'phuq' in it's entirety  and then an encore of various favourites. Such a great night and a red hot crowd, all be it a small one of the o2. 13 years since i last saw them too. So was a special one for me.

12006076_10153314290948558_2608193397514

• Paid Members

I think the issue i have with modern pop-punk is that a large majority of the bands sing about a) Being on the road, b) How many friends they have or c) Being on the road with their friends. It doesn't click with me at all.  I look at Pop-Punk/Emo the same way i look at comedy; the best stuff comes from a place of misery.