The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Would it be such a bad thing to go back to the days of Monsters of Rock style 1 dayers? Surely quality will prevail over quantity then?

• Paid Members

Would it be such a bad thing to go back to the days of Monsters of Rock style 1 dayers? Surely quality will prevail over quantity then?

I think there's still the demand in the UK for fests like Download to continue, if anything I can see them having more 'years off' like Glasto are doing this year. From the 3 years Soni ran for it became apparent that there's a finite number of bands that'll tour Europe & can draw decent numbers. It almost became a given that whoever was at Download this year would be at Soni next & vice versa. This year Download have pretty much locked in the majority of the metal/hard rock 'big hitters' so next year will likely resemble 2011's line-up with a more radio-rock friendly bill.

They tried to do it in 2006 at Milton Keynes Bowl.IIRC, the bill was:Deep PurpleAlice CooperJourneyThunderQueensrycheTed NugentRoadstar (formally know as Hurricane Party)

• Moderators

I've been to a few really good one dayers at Milton Keynes Bowl.Ozzfest 98 was one of the first gigs I ever went to and the line up was amazing! Would have been even more amazing to me had it happened a few years later and I knew who all those bands were... but hey - that experience was what introduced them to me in the first place so I can't complain.I realise I'm probably in the minority here, but a one dayer has far more appeal than a festival to me.

• Paid Members

As i'm exorcising my odd musical demons, I should add that as I get older I am getting less and less offended by Nickelback. Some of their tracks get my toes-ah-tapping.

they are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Definitly not a cool band to like but ive always though they'd put out good tunes, its clear what audience they cater for and no one does it better than them. I don't own an album or anything, but they dont offend me.*hangs head in shame*

Careful with that it's a slippery slope, next thing you know you'll be listening to creed then heading into real dad rock territory.

Scott Stapp, has been blocking all Alter Bridge fans from the official Creed twitter in recent times, afaik it's now resolved, but he doesnt do himself any favours at all.I'm not sure how Creed get the Dad Rock tag though, Christian Rock maybe but Dad Rock? Its' hardly the likes of Thin Lizzy, Marc Bolan/T-Rex, Byrds, U2 and so on, which are genre staples afaik.

I'm not against one day festivals, it would simply come down to what the lineup was. If you could have a one dayer like what you had when Ozzfest was about and have it spread over 2 or 3 stages, you really have a stacked lineup year on year

Edited by KingOfMetal

Careful with that it's a slippery slope, next thing you know you'll be listening to creed then heading into real dad rock territory.

Scott Stapp, has been blocking all Alter Bridge fans from the official Creed twitter in recent times, afaik it's now resolved, but he doesnt do himself any favours at all.I'm not sure how Creed get the Dad Rock tag though, Christian Rock maybe but Dad Rock? Its' hardly the likes of Thin Lizzy, Marc Bolan/T-Rex, Byrds, U2 and so on, which are genre staples afaik.
They're modern dad rock, bands like Nickelback, Creed, Foo Fighters and Kings of Leon. Just radio friendly rock that seems to appeal to middle aged men.

• Paid Members

I decided to stick on Strays by Jane's Addiction for the first time in ages. It's still blows my mind how good it is, when they got back together in the early 00s I fully expected some rubbish sub-par cash in, but it's an accomplished 'arena' rock album.Their newest album is a bit wank though.

Just goto a festival for 1 day?

Still get the over used bands at festivals problem. Someone on the download forums produced a graph for how many times each band has played. Killswitch will have played DL 3 times in 4 years this summer BFMV have played the last 3 years, so it does get repetitive.