The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Black Veil Brides are next on the shit list though, they are well on their way now but i think they might take it to a whole other level.

BVB are fucking shocking though, just dull metalcore who are only becoming popular due to their image. Which is just ripping off Motley Crue who were some of the worst thing on the 80s rock scene.

Is anyone thinking about going to any festivals outside of the UK this year?

I went Brutal assault last year, and the plan was, to go to a different festival in Europe each year but this years line up at Brutal Assault is looking great: Brutal Assault

Machine Head, Deicide, Immortal, Suicide Silence, Dimmu Borgir, Converge........

I would've loved to go to Wacken, but that sold out so fucking quickly. I'm waiting for the new year to see who is announced for Sonisphere, I enjoyed last years lineup more than the previous years Download. Download obviously has gone on the offensive this year giving out their headliners early, but Sabbath is the only one that interests me.

To be fair i've never paid any attention to BMTH's music or antics so i can't judge, it just comes from how people around me say things about them and they are usually closed minded idiots to anything that isn't <insert trve black metal band here>.

Now festival wise i'd love to goto Roadburn this year, i can't say i've ever seen a line-up as good as this. http://www.roadburn.com/roadburn-2012/lineup/

Is anyone thinking about going to any festivals outside of the UK this year?

It's Hellfest for me this year. Black Sabbath, Lamb Of God, Skynyrd, Machine Head, Amon Amarth & Orange Goblin being among the bands I can't wait to see.

Pentagram, Sabbath, Vitus, Goblin and Yob on the same line-up?! Bloody Hellfest! It looks like heaven for any doom/stoner fanatic, I starting to think of going to this :)

• Paid Members

went to a bit of a nostalgia gig last night. Back around 2000 when i was following the emerging Welsh music scene there were a ton of bands, some hung around like Funeral For A Friend, but tons of bands just disappeared. Anyway's 2 re-formed for 2 gigs in the Welsh Club, Hondo Maclean + Johnny Mental.

Hondo Maclean actually did alright for themselves at the time, they toured and made a bit of a name for themselves before changing their name and trying again before finally giving up (2 of the band are now in Funeral For A Friend). They played a fun, drunken set the singer was destroyed.

Johnny Mental on the other hand never broke out of the local scene, but they are fucking tremendous. I saw em ton of times on local shows but i never really got into them till after they split up when i dug out a Split EP they did with another local band called Shaped By Fate, great stuff. They stole the night last night without doubt, in a day where so many metal bands are overly technical it was great to see a band just play straight up metallic hardcore, no fancy shit, just riffs and breakdowns. Such a weird rag-tag bunch of guys in the band too, the singers about 4 and a half foot tall (no shit). Bonus of the night was that they were selling old merch, and they had an album on sale i never even knew they released, so i got that for a couple of quid.

It kinda reinforced why im constantly looking for little lost gems of albums, a band like Johnny Mental pretty much disappeared without trace but they had shit to offer.

Tremendous.

Hondo Maclean actually did alright for themselves at the time, they toured and made a bit of a name for themselves before changing their name and trying again before finally giving up (2 of the band are now in Funeral For A Friend). They played a fun, drunken set the singer was destroyed.

I had no idea about this or that 2 of them are in FFAF. Was the gig a one-off?

I really liked Hondo Maclean. Got all there EP's and albums, ive even got The Future album d/l and listen to it regularly. Saw them live so many times, they even supported Lostprophets for a tour.

• Paid Members

Primal Rock Rebellion

remember about a year ago something was posted in here about Iron Maiden guitarist Adrian Smith having a band with former Sikth frontman Mikee Gooman? at the time i thought it was a joke but it's true and the first track is in that link above. I quite like it too, it got my head nodding.

Anybody in the Glasgow vicinity wjo enjoys a bit of Thrash Metal? If so, I'm putting on a big all-day Thrash Metal festival entirely out of my own pocket. This is actually the third one I've done, and the last, simply because I don't want people to start thinking I'm an actual promoter. I've been doing it really because I just want to see bands I like. Anyway, it'd be good to see new faces turn up as it'll be a fantastic night.

We still have all the usual suspects (Amok, COT, Citizen Death) plus some good friends from last time (Thrashist Regime, Strike Offensive) and some great English and Edinburgh bands. After this year's madness where 2 people ended up running around the pit in a child's play tunnel, I hope we can keep up the same level of drunken stupidity without excessive casualties.

thrashbash.jpg

The third and final Glasgow Thrash Bash is taking place on the 29th of January at Stereo, opposite Glasgow Central station down Renfield Lane. Tickets are £6 in advance and can be bought from Tickets Scotland, the bands or myself. The line-up is:

AMOK

BLOOD, SWEAT AND BEER

CIRCLE OF TYRANTS

STRIKE OFFENSIVE

CITIZEN DEATH

BLUDVERA

THRASHIST REGIME

REDMIST DESTRUCTION

DISPOSABLE

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/events/312708742091730

• Paid Members

Howard Jones has left Killswitch Engage.

Not really a shock, you get the impression that Howard wasn't happy in the band for a long time, I always felt that he was never truly comfortable being on stage either. Great vocalist no doubt, but he always seemed out of place to me.

Band are looking for a new singer.

Johnny Mental on the other hand never broke out of the local scene, but they are fucking tremendous.

They certainly are tremendous but they actually did a full UK tour with Malefice a few years back and the two of them were signed to Hangmans Joke Records for a brief period of time. I was working for a music magazine as their metal reviews guy and would always get pre-release albums and AAA passes and Johnny Mentals record and Malefices debut E.P both arrived the same day and when I heard they were playing some shitty pub locally I got myself over. Johnny Mental headlined but Malefice blew them out of the water, a few months later they were supporting Slayer and Johnny Mental dissapeared. Shame.