The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

the top 10 worst metal albums of all time (according to Yahoo)

here

agree?

What an awful populist list

Slang was pretty good and was recieved warmly, so it was a change of direction. and not hair metal as the writer seems to wants it to be. So fucking what? I liked it at the time

Fear of the Dark has few decent songs on it (Still rate Weekend Warrior, Judas My Guide and Chains of Misery over Be Quick or Be Dead and the awful From Here to Eternity) but its not even maiden's worst. Virtual XI, NPFTD and even for me (though Im roundly hounded) AMOLAD were worse though as with all of them their are at least some songs I like, but others I utterly loathe.

Bark at the Moon is pretty good as well

Nowt wrong with Load and Reload. Quite partial to Load tbf. Probably marks me out as some kind of loony who should be poked at with a giant stick. I think the reason this got so much stick is that they hadnt released owt since Black, which itself was noticibly softer anyway, and then they chopped off their hair and started to move away from trad metal gear in James's case he went a bit 'dad like' and has stayed there. Lars is clearly on a different planet. Since then all the Napster crap and Newsted fucking off as well as some idiotic proclamations have helped sully things and is why they are an easy target. The Loutallica thing doesnt help matters.

St Anger is utter balls though

• Paid Members

anyone here a fan of this new trend of emotional hardcore stuff coming out. I know that represents a lot of bands but there seems to be this new movement of 'real emo-hardcore'...proper honest, non trend following shit like Touche Amore, Defeater, La Dispute and so on. They are getting 5* reviews across the board but i just think its all fucking terrible. I hate the vocalists in these bands, instead of actually singing actual melodies or just being flat out aggressive its like they just have an emotional moany rant over the music, at times it almost sounds like people sound when they argue whilst crying. I fucking hate it, i think it comes across so false yet critics and no doubt the hardcore 'scenesters' are jizzing all over it.

I fucking hate the hardcore scene, i love some of the music but i hate the crowd. I went to a h2o gig a few weeks back and there were so many posers there it was unreal. The movement kinda prides itself on freedom of speech and individuality but 90% of the people in there was just another clone, from the dance moves all the way down to his newly purchased flat cap (i blame the gaslight anthem). Cunts, the lot of em.

...and dont get me started on the women in that scene.

i did get your sarcasm Ebb. It seems its just a reunion for a festival in Australia

That 'worst' albums list is a complete joke. 'Load is a fucking great album in my opinion and Ive always said so, Re-Load has some good tracks tunes of it too but is the weaker of the two. And I have said before that St Anger's final third is actually retty good, but you do have to get past a lot of bad stuff to get to it.

I also like how everyone has seemingly judged this Metallica/Lou Reed collabation completely based on the youtube preview clip a full month before its even released. I honestly dont know what Im going to make of it, but I'll only make a judgement once Ive actually heard the album in full.

Speaking of Metallica/Lou Reed - Lulu, Megadeth's new album 'Th1rt3en' is released the same day. A wise move by Mustaine?

I also like how everyone has seemingly judged this Metallica/Lou Reed collabation completely based on the youtube preview clip a full month before its even released. I honestly dont know what Im going to make of it, but I'll only make a judgement once Ive actually heard the album in full.

Fair enough but the full version of the song has been knocking about for days as per the Loutallica thread, the song released is bobbins. Iam the Table.

Anyone here into the whole Red and Anarchist Black Metal scene at all? I've been having a little nosey through many of the bands as i slightly lean that way at times and there is some awesome Crust/Sludge like stuff doing the rounds along with some amazing Post-Black Metal.

This folky band/project Book Of Sand are pretty damn good, might not be everyones cup of tea but i find it beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68M1dtQmpog

Edited by Merzbow

anyone here a fan of this new trend of emotional hardcore stuff coming out. I know that represents a lot of bands but there seems to be this new movement of 'real emo-hardcore'...proper honest, non trend following shit like Touche Amore, Defeater, La Dispute and so on. They are getting 5* reviews across the board but i just think its all fucking terrible. I hate the vocalists in these bands, instead of actually singing actual melodies or just being flat out aggressive its like they just have an emotional moany rant over the music, at times it almost sounds like people sound when they argue whilst crying. I fucking hate it, i think it comes across so false yet critics and no doubt the hardcore 'scenesters' are jizzing all over it.

I fucking hate the hardcore scene, i love some of the music but i hate the crowd. I went to a h2o gig a few weeks back and there were so many posers there it was unreal. The movement kinda prides itself on freedom of speech and individuality but 90% of the people in there was just another clone, from the dance moves all the way down to his newly purchased flat cap (i blame the gaslight anthem). Cunts, the lot of em.

There should be nothing emotional about hardcore. Full stop. Tiuche Amore are absolutely awful.

Can't say I've noticed the scene getting posery though, although it's mainly been local undergound hardcore I've been seeing recently.

• Paid Members

There should be nothing emotional about hardcore. Full stop. Tiuche Amore are absolutely awful.

Can't say I've noticed the scene getting posery though, although it's mainly been local undergound hardcore I've been seeing recently.

the scene is full of posery. It's the snobbiest music scene there is.

I never got the appeal of Korn. I know that Follow The Leader was held in pretty high regard but I just never saw why. Alot of my friends at the time thought they were the greatest band on the planet, only to completly sack them when Untouchables (think thats what it was called, the album after Issues) didnt "meet their usual standards". Maybe I just didnt get what they were trying to do

• Paid Members

http://www.hellfest.fr/

The first Hellfest announcement was made yesterday and the top acts are getting a lot of negative response. Trivium in a high profile spot at Hellfest? Fuck no. It's widely hoped that the next announcements will be better. Although this one has got some top bands - Alcest, Anaal Nathrakh, Darkspace, dISEMBOWELMENT, Napalm Death, Necros Christos, Solstafir mainly.

The general consensus seems to be that because Hellfest sold out last year for the first time there's a fear that this year they're going to go more mainstream, which I certainly hope is not the case. I do think the next announcement will be better, but this one pales in comparison to the first announcements of the last few years.

The first Hellfest announcement was made yesterday and the top acts are getting a lot of negative response. Trivium in a high profile spot at Hellfest? Fuck no. It's widely hoped that the next announcements will be better. Although this one has got some top bands - Alcest, Anaal Nathrakh, Darkspace, dISEMBOWELMENT, Napalm Death, Necros Christos, Solstafir mainly.

The general consensus seems to be that because Hellfest sold out last year for the first time there's a fear that this year they're going to go more mainstream, which I certainly hope is not the case. I do think the next announcement will be better, but this one pales in comparison to the first announcements of the last few years.

I thought this years line-up was pretty poor. Looks decent so far for next year.

I'm not really a fan of Trivium (they're ok) but they're surely no more 'commercial' than Ozzy, Scorpions, Black label, Iggy, Disturbed!?, Alter Bridge! All of whom were there last year.

Those headliners are laughably bad apart from Oyster'. Nice to see Arcturus on there, hope it means we get a UK gig or two but i have no idea if it's Vortex or Garm on vocals, Garm would be more than preferable. Looks like Dave Cunt has two bands there aswell, just wish he would start up Mistress again.

Edited by Merzbow