Merzbow Posted October 7, 2011 Posted October 7, 2011 Does anybody in here actaully listens to metal that, you know, isn't on the mainstream charts?Not that I have anything against the mainstream, but for fuck sake - 99% of the discussion in this thread is pretty much just about mainstream metal. How's about a little variety?In other words - check the brilliant debut album of NZ's sludge masters Beastwars: http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/track/red-godAwesome, needed some new sludge to listen to and in return i give you Ecocide http://ecocide.bandcamp.com/album/ecocide-s-t, a mix of genres with a nice sludge feel and some violin. Quote
steve rayson Posted October 7, 2011 Posted October 7, 2011 (edited) Does anybody in here actaully listens to metal that, you know, isn't on the mainstream charts?Not that I have anything against the mainstream, but for fuck sake - 99% of the discussion in this thread is pretty much just about mainstream metal. How's about a little variety?In other words - check the brilliant debut album of NZ's sludge masters Beastwars: http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/track/red-godAwesome, needed some new sludge to listen to and in return i give you Ecocide http://ecocide.bandcamp.com/album/ecocide-s-t, a mix of genres with a nice sludge feel and some violin.I actaully heard of this album before and was curious to check it out, but after reading some reviews claming this was just "an average release" I decided to skip this one. Not much to do at the moment, so I'll give a listen. Edited October 7, 2011 by steve rayson Quote
patiirc Posted October 7, 2011 Posted October 7, 2011 Does anybody in here actaully listens to metal that, you know, isn't on the mainstream charts?Yeah, but only local stuff at the mo. I cant remember if Ive posted this before or notAccidents- Milf Damaging Boozecore apparently omg: Reverbnation page with their 3 demo tracks on. Tbf they are much, much better live, but thats just me. The studio tracks lose something Quote
Forrest Posted October 7, 2011 Posted October 7, 2011 Does anybody in here actaully listens to metal that, you know, isn't on the mainstream charts?Not that I have anything against the mainstream, but for fuck sake - 99% of the discussion in this thread is pretty much just about mainstream metal. How's about a little variety?In other words - check the brilliant debut album of NZ's sludge masters Beastwars: http://beastwars.bandcamp.com/track/red-godI do! Although I'm not that massive on Sludge, I prefer Swedish Death Metal (Entombed, Grave etc.) and there is a fucking load of good stuff coming out of there that isn't going to be lighting up the pages of Metal Hammer anytime soon (Maim, Morbus Chron, Bastard Priest, Repugnant, Repuked). Also, Bonesaw. They're actually Scottish but they are probably my favourite of the last 10 years.I also put on gigs from time to time. In fact, the last thing I did was a fucking powerviolence night! So, don't worry, you're not alone. Quote
David Posted October 7, 2011 Posted October 7, 2011 Can't beat some sludge metal. All contributions duly noted, and will be reviewed at the earliest opportunity.To go along with the non-mainstream deal, how about we all throw some recommendations out for people to hear of bands that we've uncovered along the way? If you're feeling adventurous you can even toss in some words letting us know where, when & how you heard them. Quote
Craig The Hunter Posted October 7, 2011 Posted October 7, 2011 Can't beat some sludge metal. All contributions duly noted, and will be reviewed at the earliest opportunity.To go along with the non-mainstream deal, how about we all throw some recommendations out for people to hear of bands that we've uncovered along the way? If you're feeling adventurous you can even toss in some words letting us know where, when & how you heard them.That is a good idea. I'll have a look through my iTunes and see what I can uncover. Quote
steve rayson Posted October 8, 2011 Posted October 8, 2011 Can't beat some sludge metal. All contributions duly noted, and will be reviewed at the earliest opportunity.To go along with the non-mainstream deal, how about we all throw some recommendations out for people to hear of bands that we've uncovered along the way? If you're feeling adventurous you can even toss in some words letting us know where, when & how you heard them.Here's a few to start it off:Hour of 13A great doom/heavy act. Well written with catchy vocal melodies and killer riffs. This band is easily one of the best metal bands to emerge in the last decade. Everything just flows together smoothly in their albums. Last year they got signed by the great Earache Records.Here's two great tracks that should do the trick:Soldiers Of Satan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GykGHKXGBp8Naked Star - Pale DivineAnother great doom band that mix in some fine stoner with great riffs and an awesome vocalist that sounds like he just finished a fine bottle of Tennessee whiskey. The first track from the debut album should get you hooked in and if you like St. Vitus, Sabbath and Orange Goblin you will bang your head to this without a problem.http://www.myspace.com/paledivine Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted October 8, 2011 Author Paid Members Posted October 8, 2011 anyone heard this yet? had mine through the door this morning (2 days early, i love pre-order) Quote
neil is brill Posted October 8, 2011 Posted October 8, 2011 Hour of 13 seem to have stolen King Diamonds logo. Quote
steve rayson Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 Hour of 13 seem to have stolen King Diamonds logo.It's taken from the "Satanic Bible" and correct me if I'm wrong, but Diamond didn't wrote that book did he? Quote
Merzbow Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 It's the symbol for Brimstone if i remember correctly. Quote
steve rayson Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 Indeed it is and many bands use it. Another great doom/stoner band Quote
neil is brill Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 I stand corrected. I assumed it was copyrighted and all that jazz. My mistake. Quote
thefallenangel Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 Disturbed's B side's album out the Lost Children 7th November looks good with awesome songs including their living after midnight cover. Quote
Registration_Form Posted October 9, 2011 Posted October 9, 2011 Any discussion of sludge metal should begin with, end with and be comprised entirely of Iron Monkey. Beastwars and Hour of 13 tracks are cool. Nice one. I've not been following this thread so don't know score but I'm very open to some sludge sounds. My tiny musical brains usually baulks at the more technical metal so prefer the heavier, more atmospheric, doomy, occasionally excruciatingly slow stuff of Electric Wizard et al. Oh. Here's some Acid Bath. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6WM8THTwg Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.