DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Kick-Ass I found to be just cool from start to finish, but surprisingly brutal in places. Chloe Moretz was immense as Hit-Girl, but felt a bit uncomfortable with the fact that an 11 year old was playing a role that brutally killed a lot of people. Still excellent though.

She's actually 13 if that makes you feel any better...

It's also a bit silly to over-react to it. If that discourages these emotions in any way.

• Paid Members

Watched The Deer Hunter for the first time the other day, what a heavy film. A tad choppy in terms of editing, but in a good way (and 3 hours for a film is long enough, damned if I'll ever watch the uncut Das Boot). One part that cracked me up:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The Russian Roulette official doing a rap pose after Nick shoots himself. The most dramatic scene in the film and all I could think of was someone saying "Wurrrrrd!".

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
Yeah, I liked Right At Your Door because it concentrated mostly on just a couple of people rather than trying to cover a whole country or world panicking. Great ending too.

Watched this on Saturday night, really enjoyed it and thought they made the most of what they had. I saw the ending coming from the moment SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

she smashed the window and he taped it up

but that didnt make it any less enjoyable.

Can anyone recommend any other 'end of the world'/'terrorist attack' type films that are good but less well known?

• Paid Members
Yeah, I liked Right At Your Door because it concentrated mostly on just a couple of people rather than trying to cover a whole country or world panicking. Great ending too.

Watched this on Saturday night, really enjoyed it and thought they made the most of what they had. I saw the ending coming from the moment SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Can anyone recommend any other 'end of the world'/'terrorist attack' type films that are good but less well known?

Last Night is underrated and not very well known, I think it went straight to video over here. There's also The Omega Man and the mini-series of The Stand which are worth seeing. They're not anything to do with terrorists, but good apocalyptic fare.

Edited by Gladstone Small

I finally got round to watching Moulin Rouge last night. Well, I say "watch" as I gave up after about 40 minutes. It was just terrible. The acting was diabolical, the music montages were cringeworthy, and the art style was like taking acid at Disneyland. Plus Nicole Kidman makes the most unerotic erotic dancer ever.

Oh, Stug - you really should check out the full length Das Boot. The DVD has the episodical tv version which makes it a mini-series and much more palatable than trying it in one go. It's quite brilliant.

• Paid Members

Last Night is underrated and not very well known, I think it went straight to video over here. There's also The Omega Man and the mini-series of The Stand which are worth seeing. They're not anything to do with terrorists, but good apocalyptic fare.

Cheers fella.

I highly recommend

Night of the Comet http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087799/

It claims to be a zombie film but theres very little zombie stuff included in my opinion

Edited by Jimmy_kahoona

Me and a couple of mates went to the Lord of the Rings all nighter at the waterloo imax on saturday night/sunday morning. Its exactly how it sounds, start at midnight and all 3 films in one big nerdy marathon to mordor. In theory it was a great idea, but it was bloody hard to stay up and we consider it some kind of achievement we did it. I missed all 3 on the big screen at release since I wasn't a fan until a couple of years ago, it was cool to see the full experience.