DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Somebody told me what the crack is with that shitty looking romantic drama Remember Me:

Huge huge spoilers:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

So, it's your standard heartfelt drama with blah blah and dawsons creek and love and loss and shit, but with a remarkable twist. Following mostly resolution for the characters, the male lead goes to his dad's office to wait for him so they can deal with something or another. Meanwhile, all the other characters are seen looking forward to a better future and all that shit, and it ends with a teacher writing on the blackboard of the little girl character's class "Tuesday 11th September", and then would you believe it, it's 9/11 and the office the male lead was in was the WTC, and he gets a plane in the face.

I would have never ever given a toss about this film, however I sort of want to watch it would somebody who doesn't know the ending now, just to see it happen, and to watch somebody else's reaction. It's a bit of a lazy hook too, but that's it now I suppose, no film can ever do something like it again.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

From the trailer this looked awful and not my sort of thing at all. Now having read the spoilers I want to take my Twilight/Pattinson-loving missus along to see this. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Saw Kick Ass last night. I'll pretty much echo everyone else's thoughts and say that it was tremendous fun. Plenty of laughs, great action (the scene that appears to only be lit by muzzle flash is outstanding) and probably the best role Nicholas Cage could have taken to get him back in people's good graces. It's a shame they went with a fairly clich

Clash of the Titans 2D version - left the cinema feeling very under whelmed and disappointed. The trailers made it look great.

Also the Medusa CGI is just as bad as Scorpion King CGI at the end of the The Mummy Returns and apparently the 3D version is a big mess and was done on the cheap, no doubt to jump on 3D bandwagon.

Ralph Fiennes as Hades was pretty fun though. 6/10

Kick Ass next for me.

Edited by Jas

After being on my 'to watch' pile of dvd's for well over 18 months, I finally viewed Red Dragon yesterday. Was a bit worried that I wouldn't enjoy it seeing as I have yet to watch Silence Of The Lambs (also on my to watch pile). But I thought it was a perfectly enjoyable thriller. Anthony Hopkins was superb as Lecter, and I've always enjoyed watching Edward Norton. A few of the scenes seemed a bit pointless (where the killer takes the blind woman to stroke a tiger at a vets springs to mind), but overall it was a good film. Not sure if I'll end up watching it again, but glad I got round to watching it.

7/10

• Paid Members

Saw Kickass yesterday. It's a ton of fun and the audience was packed and going apeshit pretty much all the way through. Cage's Adam West voice was a highlight for me. It was also refreshingly violent and the action was fast paced yet didn't settle for the shitty "shake the camera around so much you can't fucking see anything" technique most films go for these days. Go see it.

The Mist. Awful film. Great ending. The writer is a sadistic cunt.

That writer would be Stephen King. I thought the film was great from start to finish.

I think it was a combination of Thomas Jane, the annoying son and poor CGI that spoilt it for me.

I didn't realise it was based on a King book though. Twisted SOB.

• Paid Members

The Mist is the perfect example of a good film that's a bad film because of shitty acting. The acting in that film from top to bottom is fucking godawful.

And for the record, the Stephen King story ends with the survivors driving into the mist to an uncertain future. Frank Darabont added the ending in the film.

• Paid Members
"But in Kick-Ass, childish violence of the most extreme kind - hacking off limbs, shootings in the mouth, impalings and fatal stabbings - is presented with calculated flippancy, as funny, admirable and (most perversely of all) sexually arousing. "

So is this guy a pervert or what? In what way was the violence meant to be sexually arousing?

The Mist is the perfect example of a good film that's a bad film because of shitty acting. The acting in that film from top to bottom is fucking godawful.

And for the record, the Stephen King story ends with the survivors driving into the mist to an uncertain future. Frank Darabont added the ending in the film.

Then I shall point my finger of twistedness towards him. As shocking as it was, I really did laugh. I tried to put myself in his shoes, and I think I know what decision I would have made, and it wouldn't have matched his.

"But in Kick-Ass, childish violence of the most extreme kind - hacking off limbs, shootings in the mouth, impalings and fatal stabbings - is presented with calculated flippancy, as funny, admirable and (most perversely of all) sexually arousing. "

So is this guy a pervert or what? In what way was the violence meant to be sexually arousing?

Because a young girl was doing it?

No?

Just me?

Fine.

• Paid Members

That really is a fantastic review - for all the wrong reasons.

Here is a link if no-one else has seen it.

Daily Mail Clicky