DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Just watched Mary and Max late last night on Film4. Very dark claymation about a girl and man who write to each other from Australia and New York, respectively over a number of years. Some dark content, as both help eachother deal with the other's loneliness and marginalisation through their letters. Heartfelt and the potential to make one a bit teary. Has voices of Toni Collete and Philip Seymour-Hoffman which sold me initially on watching.

• Paid Members

wild little bits on info on the old Hong Kong movies. I really need to watch me some more Jackie Chan movies, i remember going to a friends house when i was about 10, he was from Hong Kong and i'd always sit and watch Jackie Chan movies with him in Cantonese, good memories.

I recently purchased the re-release of Police Story, next chance i get it's going on.

• Paid Members

i saw the prequel The Thing tonight and i thought it was excellent. It's very similar in tone to the original and the story-line, whilst being a prequel is actually pretty similar. Just a different group of people in the same situation...It ties in great with the original movie though and pretty much shows how the Norwegian camp looks how it does when the Americans show up, makes it fun looking out for certain things. The movie will have a ridiculous amount of haters, but fuck 'em...i liked it.

• Paid Members
i saw the prequel The Thing tonight and i thought it was excellent. It's very similar in tone to the original and the story-line, whilst being a prequel is actually pretty similar. Just a different group of people in the same situation...It ties in great with the original movie though and pretty much shows how the Norwegian camp looks how it does when the Americans show up, makes it fun looking out for certain things. The movie will have a ridiculous amount of haters, but fuck 'em...i liked it.

I hated it, I wanted to like it and loved the little nods to the original like leaving the axe in the wall but theres no tension and some of the CGI is just shit. Also you can pick out the half a dozen 'In it just to die' characters straight away

• Paid Members
You need to see the Bollywood re-interpretation of the bus stunt.

Tried googling, but no joy. Do you know the name of the Bollywood film?

Not anymore. I've had a look around Google and YouTube, but to no avail. I do have it on VHS somewhere, so if I get chance this weekend I'll see if I can find it.

For "choreography involving set pieces", Operation Condor is probably one of Jackie's finest works. Some serious precision work going on there.

That said, if you don't like actors speaking multiple languages in a scene, it's going to kill you. Chinese Jackie, German Ada, Japanese Mimoko, American Bruce, etc..

The film is just class from top to bottom, I put up there with the original Indiana Jones movies, never had a problem with multiple languages like some people.

I quite like Armour of God, but havent seen it in an age. Armour of God Operation Condor, really is a fantastic film. Wonder what a Jackie Chan thread would throw up as his best film?

EDIT: currently struggling through Sunshine on More 4. It's well, a bit shit isnt it?

Best film? thats a tough question when they're so many good ones, I would say mine are Drunken Master and...yes Operation Condor, only because its those Ive watched the most again and again, but im leaving out some classics.

As for Sunshine, yeah that movie seems to lose it half way through, pretty much when they decided to throw Freddy Krueger in there, for a film that was trying to be serious about itself that shit just made me laugh.

Funny youre watching that after we have been talking about HK movies, since I remember when watching Sunshine that Michelle Yeoh was in it, which surprised me, my fav film with her is still The Heroic Trio, probably one of my fav HK fantasy movies, dont know the actual name for those movies forgot it, but theirs usually a ton of wire work, another would be saviour of the soul, both movies had Anita Mui, I thought she was a great actress, was sad when I found out she died, so young as well :(

I watched The Thing (2011) I thought it was alright, however the OG is still better, because I feel like most of the cast in 2011 were just cannon fodder, you never really got to know any of them that well, still not a bad effort really.

Edited by The Total Package

• Paid Members

I hated it, I wanted to like it and loved the little nods to the original like leaving the axe in the wall but theres no tension and some of the CGI is just shit. Also you can pick out the half a dozen 'In it just to die' characters straight away

i thought the CGI was quality, i know Thing-fanboys would have preferred some old school practical effects but there wernt any complaints from me. As for the 'in it to die' thing, based on the fact that they re-did the 'who's the alien' thing, them characters needed to be there...that was the best part of the movie too.

• Moderators

End of the year's getting close, so it's almost time for Top 10's and all that. I won't reveal mine yet, because I'm pretentious, and that's going to happen at great length on my blog. In fact, here's part one of that, way too long to paste - the also-rans, and stuff that stank.

Top 20 movies of 2011 - Part 1

So what are people thinking for the best of the year? I had to stretch my regular Top 10 to a Top 20 because there was so much stuff I absolutely loved this year.

• Paid Members

End of the year's getting close, so it's almost time for Top 10's and all that. I won't reveal mine yet, because I'm pretentious, and that's going to happen at great length on my blog. In fact, here's part one of that, way too long to paste - the also-rans, and stuff that stank.Top 20 movies of 2011 - Part 1So what are people thinking for the best of the year? I had to stretch my regular Top 10 to a Top 20 because there was so much stuff I absolutely loved this year.

"massive crush I had on Scarlett Alice Johnson when she was in Eastenders"

High five!

• Paid Members

Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed Final Destination 5. The best way to approach these movies is as a comedy. The set-ups are hysterical sometimes.Cracking twist at the end of this as well.

• Paid Members

Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed Final Destination 5. The best way to approach these movies is as a comedy. The set-ups are hysterical sometimes.Cracking twist at the end of this as well.

Thats exactly how I saw it.

• Paid Members

Thats exactly how I saw it.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The Gymnast death made me laugh out loud [close spoiler]
");document.close();
Thats the one that had me on the floor.