DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Fast Five (Fast And Furious 5, or whatever it's called)

I don't think I've seen any of the others but I gave this a go because most of The Rock's action movies are decent. I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. I gather the previous movies are more car-based than action, so are they worth watching?

I don't think I've seen any of the others but I gave this a go because most of The Rock's action movies are decent. I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. I gather the previous movies are more car-based than action, so are they worth watching?

I've always shat on these type of movies, fuck me I still cry when I think of 'Torque' but I have a big soft spot for the FATF series, if you watch the first and like it, stroll on through the rest, for me the weakest is Part 2 and I quite like Tokyo Drift despite that being unpopular with most. I've not seen the 5th one yet, looking forward to it. There is action in the previous ones the cars and races are just a backdrop to it.

• Moderators
I always just thought that everyone was so alike, shallow and ignorant, that they constantly got each other confused with other people in the industry. Like when Leto's character, Paul Allen, confuddles Bateman with somebody else and admonishes Bateman at the same time. I dunno, it's a very off the shit ending, but I do love that movie. It's ten times the value of the book, and there's a comedic charm in the movie that is sorely lacking in Ellis' novel.

I preferred the novel over the film because I felt the gap between humour and violence was much more. The film is more humouress overall, but the book has moments where you are chuckling away in your head at the previous chapter while being faced with something totally disgusting. I found that very powerful.

I think you see a similar thing in A Clockwork Orange. (Also in one of Stuart Millard's short stories)

I definitely got that more with the A Clockwork Orange book than I did the movie. Not that I don't appreciate the movie but there's something about reading a story without the gloss of movie editing, music etc, that can really strip it down to the actual narrative, and make it far more brutal and amusing. Don't get me wrong, editing in a movie can make a story sometimes, but other times can overwhelm it.

• Paid Members

you'll probably enjoy the rest of them. The 3rd one kind of stands alone, but that one does feature some of the best car stuff in the entire series.

• Paid Members

just sat through Bridemaids with my girlfriend. It definately wasn't the Hangover for women that it was promoted as. I thought it was aright, some of the humour just seemed so out of place though, it was like a serious chick flick with slapstick added for the sake of it. Plus I don't think ive ever seen a movie with such an unlikable bunch of main characters in a movie like this ever.

Watched Red State last night, and loved it. I think part of it's charm was watching Kevin Smith trying something new. Was just an insane movie, and I'd recommend this to anyone. Loads of nods to the Coen Brothers too, which was nice...

I wish Cop Out had that charm because at least it would have had one thing going for it. My Kevin Smith fan boyism has all but vanished as I have gotten older but I really wanted him to mature as a film maker just like Empire said he could when he was making Jersey Girl :( . Did he write Red State?

• Paid Members
I wish Cop Out had that charm because at least it would have had one thing going for it. My Kevin Smith fan boyism has all but vanished as I have gotten older but I really wanted him to mature as a film maker just like Empire said he could when he was making Jersey Girl :( . Did he write Red State?

Cop Out wasn't dreadful, but it was an okay Sunday afternoon on the couch flick. Nothing more.

Yeah, he wrote Red State, and it's a decent progression. I love Kevin Smith, so I am a bit biased, but even the missus thought it was a good - if strange - watch. It reminded me of From Dusk Till Dawn crossed with Fargo. Best way I can put it...

Hesher. I honestly don't know what to make of this film. It was good bordering on the ridiculous. There were some things I didn't like such as the bully (was the guy playing him a really bad actor or was that how the character was supposed to be portrayed?) and the young kid himself who was really whiny throughout. Other than that it was enjoyable, and if nothing else it just shows how great Joseph-Gordon Levitt is (I have such a hard on for this guy). The character of Hesher is great and enjoyable, but as I said it did border on the ridiculous.

Speaking of Joseph-Gordon Levitt, if Hollywood insist on remaking The Crow, I want this guy to play Eric Draven.

Tracy Morgan was the only worthwhile thing in Cop Out.

Saw two films at Vue yesterday. Orange Wednesdays and the kids are back in school = WIN

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes: I groaned at the thought of yet another remake/reboot, but it told a compelling story. Thumbs up. A mile ahead of the other POTA reboot which I thought was woeful.

Apollo 18: Another "THIS IS TOTALLY REAL FOOTAGE!!!11!1!!eleven!" style of film, which I don't usually care for. (I think the Paranormal Activity films were gash; ditto The Fourth Kind et al) However it was a pretty good plot, albeit not one that requires much thought and relies quite heavily on your stock "quiet bit quiet bit quiet bit quiet bit LOUD BIT" device as a means to frighten. Thumbs up to this too, but it's not as good as the other film.