DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

The first Batman film was brilliant. The characters, the story, the soundtrack, everything. Batman Returns is less good, but still enjoyable. The first Batman film by Burton was far better than either Nolan film. I cant stress that enough. I loved both Burton films.

• Paid Members

It's all subjective really, it depends on what you're looking for in a Batman film. I tend to find that the more hardcore Batman fans prefer the Nolan franchise, where the more hardcore film fans prefer the Burton ones. Not a concrete theory mind, just based on what I've seen.

Anyway, films I've seen recently;

Austin Powers in Goldmember - The characters have pretty much all become caricatures of themselves by now, exaggerating all the subtle mannerisms that made them so funny in the first film. With that being said, it had some funny moments (Michael Caine/the 'academy' flashback) but it's just not a patch on the satirical masterpiece that was the first film. It made sense for Myer's to do two sequels, but I just wish they left it after the first one.

I Am Legend - Really enjoyable film. Interesting insight to what it would be like to be the only human being left in a deserted city. Will Smith does a great job here. Only thing slightly questionable is that Will Smith's character is a Lieutenant army action hero who knows his way around a gun/fast car/one on one combat but ALSO appears to be a professional scientist who manages to single handedly discover a cure for the virus that almost wiped out the entire planet :confused:

Apollo 13 - Just a fantastic film really. You're unlikely to go wrong with Tom Hanks, and the fact that it's a true story just tops it. Really gives you an idea of what not just the astronauts were going through, but what their families and the people back at Houston were going through too. (Plus I still can't get my head around how they managed to pull off the non-gravity effect)

Edited by Foale

• Paid Members
It's all subjective really, it depends on what you're looking for in a Batman film. I tend to find that the more hardcore Batman fans prefer the Nolan franchise, where the more hardcore film fans prefer the Burton ones. Not a concrete theory mind, just based on what I've seen.

Big Batman fan here. Not a fan of the Nolan films but love the Burton ones. Nolan sucks all the fun and coolness out of Batman for me.

I still can't get my head around how they managed to pull off the non-gravity effect

I believe they kit out a passenger airliner to look like the inside of a spaceship. The plane is then flown to a high altitude before the pilot basically puts it in a nosedive to the ground. Because the plane is falling at the same speed (or more) than gravity the passengers will experience weightlessness for a short time. I think they can only get about 30 secs of footage doing this before they turn the plane around, go back up and do it all again.

This clip explains it better

The Kids Are All Right-pretty good, really is Annette Bening's film with some good one-liners. Film doesnt really have a very satisfying ending but it held my attention throughout which considering how i can give up on a film pretty quickly if i find i'm losing interest is actually a compliment to the film. Not a outright comedy nor a full-on drama-somewhere between the two i'd say. I'd recommend a watch.

At least Burton can do semi-engaging female characters, something Nolan can't quite seem to grasp.

Based on their Batman films, I wouldn't say either of them excel with female characters, though Burton is better. Nolan's females are nothing remarkable in any sense. Burton's females are more prominent and not just damsels in distress, but a serious criticism I'd level at his first Batman is that Vicki Vale and Bruce Wayne's romance is way flatter than it should be, and I'd like Catwoman to have been a more credible threat in Batman Returns.

Christopher Nolan makes clever films for stupid people. He's the middle class Michael Bay.

I've seen 3 Nolan films; Memento, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Memento's an interesting watch for its gimmick but nothing special beyond that, and it doesn't warrant repeated viewings. Batman Begins, I like. Dark Knight is good, but overrated. But I wouldn't call any of them clever.

I agree entirely that Michael Bay is a terrible filmmaker. Transformers 2 is especially awful.

The first Batman film was brilliant. The characters, the story, the soundtrack, everything. Batman Returns is less good, but still enjoyable. The first Batman film by Burton was far better than either Nolan film. I cant stress that enough. I loved both Burton films.

Not a fan of the Nolan films but love the Burton ones. Nolan sucks all the fun and coolness out of Batman for me.

There are things I really like about Burton's Batman films. Stylistically, they're wonderful and create a really distinct Gotham. Jack Nicholson's Joker is a perfect mix of manic and sinister. And, like I said before, despite its slip-ups and dovetailed plot, I still found Burton's first Batman quite enjoyable.

But I much prefer the darker and more intimidating tone of Nolan's films. And, silly Batvoice aside, I think Christian Bale is a better, more convincing Batman than Michael Keaton too.

• Paid Members
I also watched Sucker Punch, which was just mind-numbingly bad. So blunt, shallow and messy that it was hard to care about or find any of it entertaining.

Sucker Punch fails at almost everything apart from looking quite nice. It has a weird fantasy element which means there is never any tension or drama in any of the action pieces, There is zero character for anyone in it and Zack Snyder has overdone the time remapping fast/slow motion and its just boring now. I really wanted to like it when I went to the cinema but its just a very very bad film

• Paid Members
And, silly Batvoice aside, I think Christian Bale is a better, more convincing Batman than Michael Keaton too.

I love Christian Bale but that is a fucking outrageous claim. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Edited by martyngnr

• Paid Members
And, silly Batvoice aside, I think Christian Bale is a better, more convincing Batman than Michael Keaton too.

I love Christian Bale but that is a fucking outrageous claim. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Its not outrageous at all. Keaton was more likeable and it was pretty cool how a relatively skinny bloke could do such a good job as Batman, but overall Bale is the better Batman.

• Moderators

Do you guys mean 'better batman' as in better overall in their films or just as batman?

Because Christian Bale doesn't make for a very good Bruce Wayne, but I like him when he's batman. Michael Keaton on the other hand isn't really quite physically intimidating enough as Batman but is an excellent Bruce Wayne.

I never really saw Batman as physically intimidating though, he's more of a skilled fighter than a meathead.

Keaton was an excellent Batman and, as has been said above, Tim Burton's first Batman film is the best of all the cinema takes on Batman. And I say that as someone who pretty much detests Burton nowadays.