DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Jesse James is meant to unlikeable though. Surely you want to compile a list of unintentionally hateful protagonists? Stick Bella Swan and Cathy Linton at the top either way.

Also Bodhi is a prick but he's seductive, so yeah I can see the Tyler Durden comparisons. I love Point Break. I find myself defending Keanu Reeves quite a bit really. I think he's nowhere near as bad an actor as people make out.

Jesse James is meant to unlikeable though. Surely you want to compile a list of unintentionally hateful protagonists? Stick Bella Swan and Cathy Linton at the top either way.

Also Bodhi is a prick but he's seductive, so yeah I can see the Tyler Durden comparisons. I love Point Break. I find myself defending Keanu Reeves quite a bit really. I think he's nowhere near as bad an actor as people make out.

Keanu Reeves is class, people are just stupid.

• Paid Members

saw Morning Glory at the cinema yesterday, little bit of an unexpected gem. The premise sounds shit (young woman takes on role at a flailing TV show to boost ratings) but it's a pleasant little movie. Harrison Ford does grumpy very well...oh and Rachel McAdams has got a sweet ass.

• Moderators

It's a brilliant film despite (close your ears Woyzeck) Maggie Grace being the worst actress of all time in it. Also hugely miscast since she's supposed to be playing a 16 year old and is what, almost 30? Her way of 'acting young' is to run like a twat and act annoyingly kiddy in a way that no child of 16 would ever do.

Whatever, though.. she's not in it much, and Liam Neeson is a fucking badass.

Also, something that always makes me laugh about the film is on two separate occasions he takes a single photo with a disposable camera, which he then gets developed that very day. It doesn't detract from the awesomeness, but it is silly.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I was very suprised by Taken, as i do like liam neeson......but i just didnt think it was going to be as much of an action film as it suggested.

That together with the fact i didnt know Liam Nesson could infact kill everybody in the room whilst you blink, he was amazing in that film!

That's the problem with that film, though, Seven. There's nobody likeable in it. I need someone to engage me in a story otherwise it's just pictures and sound.

Keanu has his moments, but has also put in some of the straight-up worst performances in cinema history, so he probably deserves what he gets.

Taken is excellent. It garnered some hilariously stuffy reviews that screamed of xenophobia but those critics missed the point. It doesn't attempt to be anything more than a straightforward action film. The fact that Liam Neeson is totally believable as a Jason Bourne-style badass who can and will fuck anybody up is one of cinema's finest tricks. Now I'm not saying the guy couldn't handle himself in a scrap, but when I saw the poster for the film my instant reaction was "Liam Neeson... really?

By the film's end I was ready to surrender to the man should I ever walk past him in the street. I also adore the fact that it's only about 80 minutes long, is utterly ridiculous and has no qualms regarding the alleged xenophobia (It's Liam Neeson versus EUROPE!) and thus is populated full of hilarious stereotypes.

Also, the phonecall is one of the greatest scenes. When he delivers that speech and the kidnapper goes "Good luck" before hanging up on him. Well if you're not in a room with your mates and a rake of beer shouting "OHHHHHHHH!!!" at that moment, then you've yet to watch the film properly.

It NEEDS a sequel.

It's a brilliant film despite (close your ears Woyzeck) Maggie Grace being the worst actress of all time in it. Also hugely miscast since she's supposed to be playing a 16 year old and is what, almost 30? Her way of 'acting young' is to run like a twat and act annoyingly kiddy in a way that no child of 16 would ever do.

Whatever, though.. she's not in it much, and Liam Neeson is a fucking badass.

Also, something that always makes me laugh about the film is on two separate occasions he takes a single photo with a disposable camera, which he then gets developed that very day. It doesn't detract from the awesomeness, but it is silly.

Boots develop within an hour. Neeson is good enough for Boots. :angry:

• Moderators

For a man living on something of a budget he clearly has no qualms about wasting 23 exposures though...

The fact that Liam Neeson is totally believable as a Jason Bourne-style badass who can and will fuck anybody up is one of cinema's finest tricks. Now I'm not saying the guy couldn't handle himself in a scrap, but when I saw the poster for the film my instant reaction was "Liam Neeson... really?

It totally reinvented him as a badass. When did the A-Team role get cast? I could never have seen him as Hannibal if I hadn't seen Taken (that film on it's own wouldn't do enough by its end to make him a believable badass).

Taken is excellent. It garnered some hilariously stuffy reviews that screamed of xenophobia but those critics missed the point. It doesn't attempt to be anything more than a straightforward action film. The fact that Liam Neeson is totally believable as a Jason Bourne-style badass who can and will fuck anybody up is one of cinema's finest tricks. Now I'm not saying the guy couldn't handle himself in a scrap, but when I saw the poster for the film my instant reaction was "Liam Neeson... really?

But Darkman proved Neeson could fuck people up nearly 20 years earlier or is that just me?