DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

Just back from the cinema, I`m a little tired cause of work and i`m old so I`ll give what will be a negative review of this purely based on my tired, annoyed mood.

Dont get me wrong its a great little movie, good concept and very nicely done BUT I just didnt get it! theres loads to keep geek girls and boys happy, plenty of referencies to geeky things and a very nice opening `Universal` Logo which started off extremely well. I wont bother going into plot cause we all now what its about. The first fight was great even if a little `WTF!` that I was thinking, then the next 2 fights were copy and paste. That lost the momentum for me. BUT it did manage to pull it back with fight 4.

There was just so much going on I kinda lost interest. I`m old now, this film just showed me how old I am. Great views of what young folk think of nastalga but it wasn`t nastalga for me, it was young folk thinking it was nastalga. As I said the opening Universal logo and soundtrack was awsome to me but I do wonder just how many other younger folk actually truely understood it?

Theres meaning in the film but it wasn`t deep enough to keep me interested and it was too fast and furious for me to care.

Rating: I`m actually too old to like this movie

Get the dvd cause the cinema adds nothing to it

Just finished watching Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

Never seen this before, but obviously heard a lot about this because of Sidney Poitier and the social context to the film. It's also billed as a romantic comedy, which is not a genre I really like.

Let me just say that if you have any interest in the art of film acting, you have to see this film. It's like a Rap Battle of acting chops, with the performers vying for the best scene. Sidney Poitier is great in this film, and obviously it cemented his career and broke new boundaries for black actors.

But he's not the best performance in the film. I saw African Queen a few months ago, and this film has cemented my belief that Katharine Hepburn was the greatest film actress of all time. She is just awesome in this film, she hits all the right notes and really nails the part.

But even she is outdone by Spencer Tracy. Yes, Spencer Tracy, an actor I associate with the 1930s. He plays the Dad in this film, opposite his long-term partner Katharine Hepburn, and delivers one of the great speeches in film history at the end. He died mere days after filming finished. It's an astonishing piece of cinema and one that will make even the hairiest dicked bastard shed a tear.

• Paid Members

Spencer Tracy was an absolutely fantastic actor. Absolutely awesome. I think if you loved his performance there that you need to check out Fury and one of my favourite all time films, Bad Day At Black Rock. The latter has an unbelievable cast - Robert Ryan (VERY underrated actor), Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin and others, and he out-acts the lot.

Edited by Gladstone Small

I thought Land Of The Dead was pretty good but Diary Of The Dead was really poor. Not seen the most recent one yet but I've not heard good things.

Diary works if you pretend its a spoof and Romero is deliberatly trying to shit on his legacy

So I watched New Moon last night and I was shocked at how little I cared about the whole R-Patz/guy with shirt off stuff. What did bother me was the character of Bella. I really cannot fathom why this character is supposed to be appealing to anyone, from the readers of the books, the audience of the film and chiefly, the two guys who are obsessed with her. Not only is she a completely hollow shell who is defined by the men around her, she's arguably the biggest cocktease since Cathy in Wuthering Heights.

As for the film, nothing happened at a glacial pace and I remain baffled by its popularity.

• Paid Members
So I watched New Moon last night and I was shocked at how little I cared about the whole R-Patz/guy with shirt off stuff. What did bother me was the character of Bella. I really cannot fathom why this character is supposed to be appealing to anyone, from the readers of the books, the audience of the film and chiefly, the two guys who are obsessed with her. Not only is she a completely hollow shell who is defined by the men around her, she's arguably the biggest cocktease since Cathy in Wuthering Heights.

As for the film, nothing happened at a glacial pace and I remain baffled by its popularity.

YES. Bella is awful. She apparently has very little mind of her own, and seems incredibly easily swayed by the next poppet to show up. Also, she seems determined to paint herself as this lonely, sad type when there's almost fuck-all wrong with her life - she's not a reject at school, she's got a load of friends she seems to keep fucking off for no reason, she's got a bloke she's sickeningly in love with and who's got her back at every turn, and she's got another bloke with equally freaky powers and devotion to her fighting for her affection.

• Paid Members

That was my overriding impression from seeing the first Twilight movie. She is utterly, utterly hateful to the people in a new town who are nothing but welcoming and friendly to her. Total bitch. I haven't and won't watch the other ones, despite the presence of Nikki Reed, who has made me sit through some real abominations in her time.

• Paid Members
That was my overriding impression from seeing the first Twilight movie. She is utterly, utterly hateful to the people in a new town who are nothing but welcoming and friendly to her. Total bitch. I haven't and won't watch the other ones, despite the presence of Nikki Reed, who has made me sit through some real abominations in her time.

I met her a few months ago, in one of the theatre bars on Charing Cross Road. Pleasant enough, seemed a little surprised I remembered her from Thirteen.