DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

He was also in The Hills Have Eyes remake, funnily enough. And Pale Rider, which he was also great in. Shame that most of his career has been spent in straight to video action films, and not even good ones.

• Paid Members
The sex scene is pretty funny in the film but I can absolutely see why someone who was a fan wouldnt see it that way, or rather that it shouldnt be that way. If they didnt interpret it the same in there reading of the novel it could totally put a nose or two out of joint.

I'm amazed anyone (watchmen fan or newcomer) who watched that scene found it anything but cringeworthy, and that it should have been done differently.

To me its as good as Watchmen film was ever going to be

We'll have to agree to disagree. A better Watchmen film could certainly be made correcting my previous critiques such as the rushed/choppy feeling of the whole film and inclusion of some poor scenes.

But due to it looking so good, it'll be decades at least before someone has another crack at it. If at all.

Edit - Just noticed in my first post I called the film "poor", which isnt true. Thats just my disappointment seeping through. I thought it was a fine 6/10 film (a lot of that is the great look of the film.) But I was disappointed and didnt think it was anything special. Niether did most people, the hype died quickly for that film.

Edited by Rob Lowe

• Paid Members
The sex scene is pretty funny in the film but I can absolutely see why someone who was a fan wouldnt see it that way, or rather that it shouldnt be that way. If they didnt interpret it the same in there reading of the novel it could totally put a nose or two out of joint.

I'm amazed anyone (watchmen fan or newcomer) who watched that scene found it anything but cringeworthy, and that it should have been done differently.

We'll have to agree to disagree. A better Watchmen film could certainly be made correcting my previous critiques such as the rushed/choppy feeling of the whole film and inclusion of some poor scenes.

But due to it looking so good, it'll be decades at least before someone has another crack at it. If at all.

Edit - Just noticed in my first post I called the film "poor", which isnt true. Thats just my disappointment seeping through. I thought it was a fine 6/10 film (a lot of that is the great look of the film.) But I was disappointed and didnt think it was anything special. Niether did most people, the hype died quickly for that film.

Fair enough. Agree'd on the hype but I think to the casual audience it was a different film to what they wanted altogether (Dark Knight 2). I've had non fans comment to me how funny they thought the sex scene was hence my thoughts that its taken differently depending on point of view.

Which scenes do you consider poor incidently? Other than the sex scene.

• Paid Members

Fair enough. Agree'd on the hype but I think to the casual audience it was a different film to what they wanted altogether (Dark Knight 2). I've had non fans comment to me how funny they thought the sex scene was hence my thoughts that its taken differently depending on point of view.

Which scenes do you consider poor incidently? Other than the sex scene.

Hello Darkness, my old friend. I am the villain incase you didn't guess... :music:

• Paid Members

I watched a couple of Rockumentaries very recently, so I thought I'd treat you to a quick double review, sorry if these movies have already been covered here, here's my take on them.

People are Strange

Is a documentary about 60s band the Doors (who I've liked my whole life), I saw it at the cinema with a lass which made it a bit more special as apart from the fact it's narrated by Johnny Depp and features some amazing archive footage of the band (especially the bits with Jim Morrison driving along, those bits are of such amazing quality I have no idea where the footage is from, it's like it was specially shot for this) it wasn't that different from a standard rock documentary you'd get on BBC3. It didn't tell me much I didn't already know (but I am a fan) and sometimes the stock footage of random 60s-ness while the doors music was playing just seemed like cheap filler. I liked the fact that it was all archive footage & single person narration, if it had had people from now talking about the band like most of these documentaries do it would've lost a lot of it's mystique. It was really good, not amazing and the less you know about the band the better you'd probably find it (unless you're totally disinterested obviously).

I also saw Rush -Beyond the Lighted Stage

Which is a documentary about the Canadian progressive rock group Rush who formed in the early 70s and are still going today. This one was a lot more fun than the doors one but had less atmosphere and was less sexy. I like Rush but I wasn't as knowledgeable about their history as I am about the Doors so this one told me a lot more I didn't already know. It has loads of current musicians talking about how Rush influenced them and it also had extensive interviews with Rush talking now as well as their families etc as well as great archive footage and photos. The guys from the band have great personalities and are lively so when talking back about their impressively long career they do it with good humour and it's never boring to hear them talk. The format was fairly straightforward and it played like an extended episode of VH1's behind the music whereas the Doors one was more "Arthouse-ish".

Both were good and interesting and I'd recommend either of them if you wanted an alternative to watching a regular movie, and even though I already liked both bands I've found myself listening to them more since watching these films.

Anyone else seen them?

Watched Up In The Air last night and pretty much loathed it. I'm really sick of these "one dimensional and cold character learns a lesson" movies. Also Jason Reitman is a shit director who doesn't understand subtletly and peppers his films with rotten twee music and needs to fuck off forever.

• Paid Members

I loved Toy Story 3. Loved it.

Infinitely better than the second one, not sure about the first because it's been way too long since I've seen it. The bit that surprised me most was that the Spanish Buzz Lightyear bit got some laughs out of me even though it made me cringe in the trailer and was totally obvious. Once he started dancing i just couldn't help myself.

Lotso was great, Chuckles was great, the human child characters were somehow adorable instead of loathesome/creepy, most of the gags for the older viewer were hits, most of the childish gags worked just as well, the classically trained hedgehog was funny, Ken was marvelous, I want a real dog who talks like Slinky and I just want to watch the whole thing again now.

You win this round, Pixar. And that earlier round with Finding Nemo. And Up. And Wall-E. And Monsters Inc. You magnificent bastards.

I liked that Night and Day thing before the film as well, heavy handed as it was.

Itching to go and see Piranha 3D now. If it's anywhere near as horrendous as Piranha and Piranha 2 then it will be a B-movie masterpiece. The impressions on here suggest that it is. Also Machete is nearly upon us. Yes!