DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

How many things has Robert Carlyle actually been good in though? He's one of those actors whose career seems to have waned, and for good reason. That episode of Cracker, Trainspotting and... er... 28 Weeks Later?

He was a decent Hitler

hitler1.gif

• Paid Members

So last night I watched a mildly amusing mess of a slasher film called Hack! It was the German Blu-ray of it and featured a bunch of trailers for other ropey looking movies. But only one of them that had me wondering who the fuck made that?

Anyone seen this oddity or know anything about it?

Also, as the Hangover is being discussed, I'll take this topically relevant moment to reiterate that Zack Galifinakis is just the worst. I really hate that guy. He is just about tolerable in Bored to Death, but that's only because Schwarzman and Danson are so good.

Have you seen Between Two Ferns or any of Galifianakis' standup? He's not great in the Hangover films but I find him really funny in his own stuff (and he's gone on record as not exactly being a fan of the Hangovers either). His humour isn't for everyone for sure, he has a very specific style, but judging any comedian on their couple of mainstream money earners is a bit harsh. I think he comes across really well in the podcasts he does (Comedy Bang Bang in particular) - which I guess helps my opinion of him. He also seems to be the one who helped nix Mel Gibson in Hangover 2 (although they still had Tyson back so it's not exactly a winning moment in avoiding abusers in film)

• Paid Members
Have you seen Between Two Ferns or any of Galifianakis' standup? He's not great in the Hangover films but I find him really funny in his own stuff (and he's gone on record as not exactly being a fan of the Hangovers either).

But he's doing a third one:-

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/cheryl-c...ngover-3/287833

Money is good. Contracts are also lots of fun.

As long as an actor/comedian/musician/etc doesn't stop doing the things I enjoy I have no issue with them also doing stuff I dislike. Galifianakis has put out lots of stuff thats made me laugh this year for free - I can't begrudge him doing something to actually make (lots and lots) money. I guess it could be considered hypocritical to continue to appear in something you're also dismissing in other media but it's not like he's been leading campaigns to get the films stopped, he's just made comments to the effect of the films not being his cup of tea humour wise and being somewhat wary of become "the funny fat one from the Hangover films"

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

I think he's definitely hypocritical, especially as he doesn't really have to do these films as presumably he is absolutely minted as a result of them. If he's aware of issues regarding some of the casting in the films as well, then he's doubly hypocritical.

I'm working my way through Season 1 of Homeland, currently 7 episodes in. Totally passed me by when it was on tv, and I know a few people hyped for Season 2 so got the DVD in CEX the other day. Really impressive show. It's kinda like 24 but without the action, focusing more on plot and characters. Claire Danes and Damien Lewis are fantastic.

• Moderators
Also, as the Hangover is being discussed, I'll take this topically relevant moment to reiterate that Zack Galifinakis is just the worst. I really hate that guy. He is just about tolerable in Bored to Death, but that's only because Schwarzman and Danson are so good.

Have you seen Between Two Ferns or any of Galifianakis' standup? He's not great in the Hangover films but I find him really funny in his own stuff (and he's gone on record as not exactly being a fan of the Hangovers either). His humour isn't for everyone for sure, he has a very specific style, but judging any comedian on their couple of mainstream money earners is a bit harsh. I think he comes across really well in the podcasts he does (Comedy Bang Bang in particular) - which I guess helps my opinion of him. He also seems to be the one who helped nix Mel Gibson in Hangover 2 (although they still had Tyson back so it's not exactly a winning moment in avoiding abusers in film)

Nah, I've never really had any experience of him doing his own thing, just his acting in films and TV.

Don't begrudge him acting in the Hangover films though. I think your argument is bollocks here, Gladstone..

• Moderators

Well, for a start, no one said he didn't have a problem with Mike Tyson did they? Let's not pretend his protest would have made a blind bit of difference if anyone with actual power had really wanted Mel Gibson in the film.

And there are plenty of differences between the two of them that I could see someone might feel more strongly about one over the other.

I don't think so. I'm not quite sure how you can have trouble with the casting of Mel Gibson on one hand and not with Mike Tyson on the other hand?

Zach Galifianakis is a hippie and a weirdo, and he's jewish. White Man's Burden could make him overlook anything Tyson's done, whereas Gibson's done racism, the greatest crime of all.