DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I watch so many films (films studies student here) but rarely if ever post in this thread. Odd that.

Breaking the habit to tell y'all that I watched Re-Animator followed by Frankehooker in the wee hours last night, all in a makeshift living room fort by the way!

I'd seen most of Re-Animator before and knew what to expect but the over-the-topness of the ending still threw me a little. I enjoyed it but am surprised to see how much love it gets from critics and how much of a cult following it has achieved. Will probably check out Bride of Re-Animator this week and maybe also Beyond Re-Animtor if I can find good copies!

Frankenhooker was just totally off the wall and everything I expected (and a little bit more). Cheesey special effects/settings, grotesque makeup effects, paper thin story, nudity, roided up pimps ('I'm just waiting for my bitches, I'm sure they'll be down in a minute') etc. Has anyone seen this before?

I saw REC 2 the other day which is pretty much a continuation of the first film, was okay in parts but not that much different from the first film really.

Aside from the demons. They need to retcon all that bullshit if they make a third one

I saw REC 2 the other day which is pretty much a continuation of the first film, was okay in parts but not that much different from the first film really.

Aside from the demons. They need to retcon all that bullshit if they make a third one

quick summary of REC 3 taken from imdb

The action now takes place miles away from the original location and partly in broad daylight, giving the film an entirely fresh yet disturbing new reality. The infection has left the building. In a clever twist that draws together the plots of the first two movies, this third part of the saga also works as a decoder to uncover information hidden in the first two films and leaves the door open for the final installment, the future '[REC] 4 Apocalypse.'

Release date just says 2011 with 4 to follow in 2012

Edited by iamtheman

Watched a load of films over the last few days, as not much better to do

Hope and Glory- Superb semi autobiographical account of John Boorman's Childhood in World War 2 Worth Seeing Charley Boorman as a German Pilot.

Death Race 2000- Still an ace film, has themes that are still relevant today 30 odd years later. Bizarrely weird that Junior, Frankenstein, Matilda The Hun among others have passed on, but still worth a watch even now in a B movie goodness type of way. Martin Kove/Sly Stallone/ David Carradine and the then immensely fit Simone Griffith and Mary Woronov also help things move along. Its a a bit short though and there are a lot of reused shots which can irk sometimes.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- I dont care, its bloody ace. Elias Koteas steals the show as Casey Jones, The Puppet work is superb and it has Sam Rockwell in an early lead role. Very Violent for a kids film, even if it is stylised and Cartoony. Well I like it still

Enemy of the State- Hackman, Smith, Voight, Black, Jason Robards, Jason Lee, Tom Sizemore, Seth Green and so on. Awesome cast. Awesome film. Yes its full of holes but It still holds up 13 years later. Good fun

Nightwatch- Heard lots, didnt expect anything, ended up a cross between Blade, Matrix and Deathnotes, which is no bad thing. Though is there anyone one who isnt 'an other' in the film. which kind of let it down a bit and working out who Yegor was wasnt exactly the most taxing thing ever. Still a bit of a departure. Some nice special effects on a low budget. Isnt very much like the book according to those whove read it though. Better than average.

Dante's Peak- Its shit.. everyone knows its shit, but its a disaster movie so thats good right? The CGI still holds up, though the model work is fucking awful at times which is a shame Id still watch it again, but am a sucker for disaster movies

The Last Castle- Robert Redford in a Prison Drama, get the fuck out. Shame its utter gash.. Military Prisoners all good guys, the Kommandant a tyrant and Robert Redford to save the day maybe, or not. The ending is hilariously bad.. Avoid

• Paid Members
Frankenhooker was just totally off the wall and everything I expected (and a little bit more). Cheesey special effects/settings, grotesque makeup effects, paper thin story, nudity, roided up pimps ('I'm just waiting for my bitches, I'm sure they'll be down in a minute') etc. Has anyone seen this before?

I haven't seen it, but I am aware of it. Am I right in thinking it's a Troma film?

I haven't seen it, but I am aware of it. Am I right in thinking it's a Troma film?

It isn't I'm afraid. It is relatively obscure though. Not sure who released it.

I first remember reading about it a few years ago in one of my step-dad's FEAR magazines and decided to download it last night to watch with a friend. If you're into silly/tounge-in-cheek dark comedy/horror then this is for you. It kind of reminded me of 'Street Trash'.

I watched them both pretty much back to back last week with them both being on Sky. I thought the first one was fantastic, the second one was ok but nothing great. I get that they used the demon element to stop it being basically the first film all over again, but the whole demon shtick was a bit shit. I guess it drags a franchise out of it when in all reality it should have only been one film, two at a maximum with someone infected getting out of the building through the sewer when chasing that reporter woman for example.

Oh, and that Manuela Velasco :love:

Edited by Sergio Bellend

Nightwatch- Heard lots, didnt expect anything, ended up a cross between Blade, Matrix and Deathnotes, which is no bad thing. Though is there anyone one who isnt 'an other' in the film. which kind of let it down a bit and working out who Yegor was wasnt exactly the most taxing thing ever. Still a bit of a departure. Some nice special effects on a low budget. Isnt very much like the book according to those whove read it though. Better than average.

Yeah i enjoy the film but i've gotta say the book walks all over it every time and the film is very loosely based on the book and the second film(Daywatch) even less.