The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

I doubt they will do that. Flower and Strauss like the security of 6 batsmen, although I would be all for it.

Aggers and Geoffrey on TMS said that it would almost certainly be Eoin Morgan to replace Collingwood when his Test career comes to an end, although that does leave them slightly lighter on the bowling options. Both Ravi Bopara and Adil Rashid were mentioned as outside candidates who could do the job that Colly has been doing.

I've really no idea what Ponting will do next, and there are no clear candidates to replace him.

Everyone mentions Michael Clarke and he appears to have been the heir apparent for several years now, but he has been in as poor form as Ponting batting wise and at this point it's not as though he would be a better choice than Punter. Hussey is too old, Watson is a possibility, and the only others who I have heard mentioned as future captains aren't even in the Test team at the moment (Cameron White, Tim Paine).

• Paid Members
I've really no idea what Ponting will do next, and there are no clear candidates to replace him.

Everyone mentions Michael Clarke and he appears to have been the heir apparent for several years now, but he has been in as poor form as Ponting batting wise and at this point it's not as though he would be a better choice than Punter. Hussey is too old, Watson is a possibility, and the only others who I have heard mentioned as future captains aren't even in the Test team at the moment (Cameron White, Tim Paine).

To me the pressure of leading such a poor Aussie side has taken its toll on Ponting. He has been like a ghost all series. Add to that Watson and Clarke being so out of form it is frightening.

Only Mr Cricket really gets pass marks out of all the Australian squad.

• Paid Members
I doubt they will do that. Flower and Strauss like the security of 6 batsmen, although I would be all for it.

Aggers and Geoffrey on TMS said that it would almost certainly be Eoin Morgan to replace Collingwood when his Test career comes to an end, although that does leave them slightly lighter on the bowling options. Both Ravi Bopara and Adil Rashid were mentioned as outside candidates who could do the job that Colly has been doing.

I'd love to see Rashid become England's all-rounder, but I just get the feeling it won't happen even though he clearly has the ability and stats to back him up.

I think if Clarke is made captain he needs to be backed with better selections and some experienced people around him - they should give David Hussey and Phil Jaques calls to give more experience and strength to the batting. The bowling though is a real concern for them - we're spoiled for choice, they have very few coming through in spin or seam.

He's absolute legend Swanny, if I ever see him I giving him a massive hug. I want to get a proper print of Swanny and the team doing the sprinkler at the G if I can find one, that's going up in my house.

I thought it was a surprising decision from Clarke to bat this morning, it looked great conditions to bowl in. That said though, this is the first time in the series that Australia are batting like a test side. They've mentioned it on commentary too, but there's been a clear change in approach. We've bowled alright thus far, a few threatening looking deliveries from Tremlett in particular, so hopefully we can grab a couple before lunch. I so desperately want this victory.

• Paid Members

Another quality bowling display - maybe a bit short at the start but much more in control by the end. Pitch is already turning a bit too which should make things interesting.

Another quality bowling display - maybe a bit short at the start but much more in control by the end. Pitch is already turning a bit too which should make things interesting.

Well, I watched until about 10 overs after lunch, and it was looking a bit touch and go when I went to bed. Watson was striking the ball well, and Kawhaja looked pretty threatening on is test debut. I though Anderson looked particularly stinted.

• Paid Members

Another tremendous day. It looked in the balance when walking wicket Collingwood went, but what a partnership between Bell and Cook. Stick on another 50 at the least in the morning, and plenty of time to bowl them out and maybe chase a small target.

• Paid Members

Fantastic day's batting from Cook, Bell and Prior. I reckon if we can stick on another 60-80 runs in the morning session we've got a good chance of another innings victory. Have the Aussies ever suffered three innings defeats in a home test series I wonder?

Also, those runs put Cook only 70 behind Botham now in terms of all time England test runs, and only 100 or so behind Vaughan, Hussain and Compton. Incredible achievement at 26 years old.

Ally Cook has been simply outstanding, nailed on man of the series. Although you look around and there really has been contributions from everyone that's played for us, that's the clear difference between the two teams.

I think we're probably safe for at least a draw now handing us that sweet, sweet series victory. I think we'll kick on and win it though. You can see how desperate the Aussies are getting now and that Hughes "catch" was embarrassing. I did feel a bit bad for Michael Beer on that though, having thought he'd taken his first wicket for a second time. I think he's done well though, he's looked way better than Xavier Doherty did.

Also, I know they kept mentioning all the pink for the McGrath Foundation but I really did think that was a great thing to see. Now that Glenn isn't constantly removing our batsmen he's a genuinely likable guy and it's heartwarming to see the effort he's put into it and the fruit of that is brilliant.

Anyone else also keeping up with the South Africa v India match at Cape Town? It's been brilliant, the battle between Steyn and Tendulkar in particular was awesome.

Edited by Harvey Dent

Jimmy Anderson the man of the series for me, if he didnt deliver in this series, we wouldnt have won. Going in with 4 bowlers is always a risky move and youre always relying on your main boys being on form when you do. Especially after the injury to Broad and Swann struggling for spin on a few wickets. He's been outstanding, having said that, Ally has been imperious, just looking every bit the world class batsman he is.