The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

I was thinking Trott as well. Despite being a dirty Bokker, he's had two decent seasons. Worth a go.

They need to move Bopara from 3 as well and get Collingwood up there instead. That just isn't working at all now.

Move Bopara out of the test side altogether, he's been absolute shit all series.

I was hoping that the TMS text team were playing some awful practical joke, but clearly not. It's been a while since we've had one of England's famous batting collapses, but I'm struggling to remember one this bad.

Harmison is bowling ok though, that could be our one saving grace.

Didn't England get all out for 57 not to long ago?

• Paid Members
Does Devon Malcolm fancy a spell with the ball?

He'd be getting the treatment aswell today. Gladstone Small's the man for this situation.

Have you ever tried bowling with no neck? That man was a fucking legend.

Its about now in the game (102 and 80-5 playing 430 odd) that we can say we're truely boned here. Some serious regrouping needed for the Oval. Very impressive from Mitchell Johnson, he's starting to show what he can do and Ben Hilfenhaus, who I tipped to shine at the beginning of the series, continues to look good with the ball.

• Moderators

The Guardian made interesting readin this morning. Mark Butcher, David Lloyd and someone else (Not Gus Fraser) are championing Rob Key at NO. 3! I don't. Key reminds me of a brearly type player, indeed, I wanted him to replace pietersen as captain. Key should not be in the team for his batting, but instead for his cricketing brain, and with someone else in charge, it's not the same.

Butcher also pushed for Ramps, if not Key, but I don't agree.

What we do really lack, especially in these days of 400 in 100 overs is someone who can sit in the crease for hours on end, in an Athers/Boycs style. I thought Bell was capable but apparently not. Any suggestions?

• Paid Members
The Guardian made interesting readin this morning. Mark Butcher, David Lloyd and someone else (Not Gus Fraser) are championing Rob Key at NO. 3! I don't. Key reminds me of a brearly type player, indeed, I wanted him to replace pietersen as captain. Key should not be in the team for his batting, but instead for his cricketing brain, and with someone else in charge, it's not the same.

What we do really lack, especially in these days of 400 in 100 overs is someone who can sit in the crease for hours on end, in an Athers/Boycs style. I thought Bell was capable but apparently not. Any suggestions?

There's a guy at Yorkshire called Joe Sayers who plays like that but he hasn't been in great form recently. Really, Alistair Cook used to be like that and then he started playing SHOTZ! He should go back to that.

Ramps is not the answer. How many times has he been dropped and recalled? more than Hicky I would imagine. They were saying on Talksport that he averages under 30 for Tests, and whilst an exceptional County Batsmen couldn't cut it at Test level. How would he cope with being bought back for one Test, when all the expectation would be on him to deliver? Someone suggested going cap in hand to Marcus Trescothick, and then move Cook down to 3. Harmison desperately needs to be dropped for the next Test, and Bopara needs a rest, as he has been found out in this series that he isn't a Test 3.

Ramps is not the answer. How many times has he been dropped and recalled? more than Hicky I would imagine. They were saying on Talksport that he averages under 30 for Tests, and whilst an exceptional County Batsmen couldn't cut it at Test level. How would he cope with being bought back for one Test, when all the expectation would be on him to deliver? Someone suggested going cap in hand to Marcus Trescothick, and then move Cook down to 3. Harmison desperately needs to be dropped for the next Test, and Bopara needs a rest, as he has been found out in this series that he isn't a Test 3.

On the two occasions in the 1990's that he was recalled against the Aussies, he scored highly and England won both games. Last time he played against Australia, at The Oval, in 2001, he scored 136.

Now, at 39, as the 16th highest century maker of all time, and an average at county level dating back to 2006 off 100+, the stage is surely set for him to come in, and wipe away the memories of an otherwise mediocre international career by winning England the Ashes?

There are certainly worse options out there.

As much as i think Bopara is shockingly awful at the minute i geuinely wouldn't change the side, purely because i can't see a better alternative with it being the last test. As Nas said last night to make a change you have to be sure of finding someone better. Yes there are many batsmen out there in much better form but 1 test is too risky to bring someone in for me. Either you will be bringing someone in on debut (Trott, Denly) and unless they have nerves of steel they'll likely struggle with the situation or you'll be bringing in proven county batsmen (Ramps,Key,Robin Smith??) who will have all eyes on them to rescue England and become the hero. I just think it's too much to change in the last Ashes test, change someone who is in the squad, yeah, but to bring someone in who hasn't been in the fold for a while/ever could go disastourously wrong.

Personally i'd shove Bopara down to 5 and Collingwood in at 3. They both need something to happen so while it'd be a change and fresh start it's not too drastic for them. Collingwood can be dogged and defensive at 3 if an early wicket goes down and Bopara should be able to play his natural game at 5.

I agree with what David Lloyd said in that it's good to have 3 openers to start like we used to have with Tres, Strauss and Vaughan, so they could look to that in the future with Denly perhaps. For now though i guess we'll have to see how they play for their counties the next few days