The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

By the sound of things from Cook's interview, we are playing two spinners, which I'm all in favour of. I don't think this deck will spin like some, but we have, have, have to get some matches under our belt with more than one spinner before India/Bangladesh.

Rashid also desperately needs test matches for his confidence. He's played a lot of twenty over cricket recently, which is fine, but most players can't immediately get into 4/5 day rhythm. We are not going to win in India if Rashid doesn't feel comfortable in the England camp, I think it really is as simple as that. He's a leggy and he is the only one with a bit of mystery about him. He actually has a decent googly for a start, which is more than Mo's pathetic doosra.

Really looking forward to listening to this at work. Decent TMS line up (by that I mean Blofeld is commentating) and a finely poised test match.

I'm also off to sunny Taunton on Sunday for Zummerzet vs. Glamorgan 50 overs. Jayawardene is playing for us (Somerset) so I'm excited.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Such a conservative line up. I don't know why I am even surprised, we always do it.

Vince playing: dumb

Root at three: dumb (if he isn't comfortable there)

Balance at five: dumb

Moeen as the only spinner: dumb

I still think we'll win this. But the ECB need to look further than the end of their nose. We are going to get annihilated in India if we think that Rashid will be integrated with the team after playing two games against a fucking dreadful Bangladesh side.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Who is your South African? I had the good fortune to umpire a South African called Obus Piennar. He is the overseas player for Sleaford CC this summer. He scored 119* off 96 balls. The day before he got 125* off 91 balls. He is the best batsman I've seen at this level.

• Paid Members

Great performance from England, all told. Root's innings was one of the best I have ever watched, Cook was steadfast opening, but many of the same problems still remain.

Middle order is piss poor. I have never thought that Vince was a test player and he's done little to dispel that from my mind. ODI player, when you can drive more freely, fine. Not against a swinging red ball from someone of Mohamed Amir's quality. Get Borthwick in, or if you really want someone who can play spin and is an experienced pure batsman, get in Hildreth, who again is averaging 50 odd.

Gary Ballance  is still questionable, At least he watches the ball a bit, but still technically unsound on off-stump. Moeen is....Moeen. Took wickets again, but I think he'll be bludgeoned out of the attack in India. Not sure who we go for as additional spinners. Probably Rashid and Treadwell, the latter of which is hardly awe-inspiring and can't bat.

We should take this series now, really. That was a drubbing. I'd imagine Finn comes in for Stokes and it really should be his last chance, hasn't had a performance since South Africa.

• Paid Members

That's absolutely brutal batting. You wouldn't be wanting to bowl against that.

On an unrelated note, I had to give someone out Handled The Ball a couple of weeks ago. I was at square leg and the ball hit the batsman pad and looped in the air as he was trying to pull the ball. It was heading towards his stumps as it came down so he caught it and rolled it towards the slips. There was a big appeal from keeper and slip and having seen him catch it, I had no choice but to give him out. From the look on his face it was clear he knew what he had done. The other umpire has been umpiring 50 years and it was the first one he had seen live.

• Paid Members

Out of interest, ever had to give anyone out Mankad?

I'm continuing my riveting summer of Somerset by booking a couple of days off next week to see two days of Somerset vs. Durham in the Championship.

Good chance to get blottoed while watching what should, in theory, be a good game. Mainly booked it because I've never seen Collingwood play and he hasn't got many more miles to go you would expect (just signed new contract mind). Looking forward to seeing Borthwick live as well, see what all the fuss is about hopefully.

• Paid Members

Not had a Mankad so far. Have had a few bowlers warn the batsman that they are watching but never had it go any further. Most umpiring is pretty straightforward. You have to pay attention though when the unusual happens. I have had in my short umpiring career already to take a bowler off for 3 quick beamers, have had a ball hit the helmet behind the wicket keeper, and had a player knock off his hat whilst trying to take a catch, drop the ball, the ball ended up in the hat, he then picked up the hat with the ball in it. The ball going into the hat off the drop isn't penalty runs, because it wasn't intentional. Picking up the hat with the ball in it is deliberate though, so that then becomes 5 penalty runs! That took some explaining to the skippers I can tell you.

We've had a handled the ball last year. Chasing 200 our last pair had taken us to around 180 and the opposition were nipping a little. Then our number 11 played a forward defensive shot and as it spun back towards the stumps at snails pace, instead of kicking it he picked the fecker up.

We initially were a little disappointed in the opposition appealing - we didn't think it was rolling, we thought the ball had stopped in the crease and our 11 gave it to the keeper. Until he came back to the bar, and answered the question of whether it would have hit the stumps by saying... "yes, my brain melted and I just picked it up".