The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Shame it was in the IPL instead of an international game/tournament.

Exactly.

This so-called IPL is a carnival of fools and lackwits, a foul bastardisation of cricket designed for dribbling imbeciles with their Xbox, tattoos and Nandos.

I say the mental attrition of a five day test is the true test of a cricketer

• Paid Members

Just had a chuckle at the Australian squad for the Ashes. It really is amazingly lacking in players that England will be worried about.

Michael Clarke (capt), Brad Haddin (vice-capt, wk), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Chris Rogers, Matthew Wade (wk), James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird.

3-1 to England. And England were crap in New Zealand as well.

• Moderators
Shame it was in the IPL instead of an international game/tournament.

Exactly.

This so-called IPL is a carnival of fools and lackwits, a foul bastardisation of cricket designed for dribbling imbeciles with their Xbox, tattoos and Nandos.

I say the mental attrition of a five day test is the true test of a cricketer

Just had a chuckle at the Australian squad for the Ashes. It really is amazingly lacking in players that England will be worried about.

Michael Clarke (capt), Brad Haddin (vice-capt, wk), David Warner, Ed Cowan, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Chris Rogers, Matthew Wade (wk), James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird.

3-1 to England. And England were crap in New Zealand as well.

Never has a more ramshackle ensemble of scoundrels, thieves and rapists ever got together in the name of Australian cricket. Not one of these larakins is even fit to light Jonathan Trott's pipe. Anything less than a 5-0 whitewash will prove to be an an embarrassment to English cricket.

Edited by Guy Bifkin

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Let's talk about more cricket!

The Champions Trophy started today. It's wide open and I can't see a clear favourite but I'm going to plump for Pakistan because they have the best bowling in the tournament even if their batting isn't all that strong. South Africa were shite in their warm-ups, are currently being tonked by India, and they may be without Dale Steyn and so will probably hilariously bottle it again.

As for the Ashes, Warney thinks the Aussies are crap and they might be sticking all their hopes on fast-tracking an unknown Pakistani leg-spinner to Australian citizenship:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/0...a-england-ashes

I'd have said we were looking like a strong contender for this except our batting against New Zealand over the past couple of weeks has worried me. Now our best bowlers are back, at least we'll be able to get wickets as we did yesterday.The West Indies could be a dark horse in this competition - I understand Bifkin's dislike of Gayle, as no true Brit likes a fast-scoring batsman from the colonies, particularly if they're black, but in a one-day, knockout competition like this he could be a player. The Windies aren't as bad a team as they were a few years ago.Put me down as one who only truly enjoys test match cricket though - it's my favourite bit of summer. Cricket is at its most pure when you're listening to it on a tinny portable radio, outside, with the sun scorching down, and you can go out for a few hours or even a whole day, come back and know it's still going on.I now have my own soundproofed room at work, so TMS in iPlayer means my productivity has gone through the floor.

• Paid Members

The West Indies could be a dark horse in this competition - I understand Bifkin's dislike of Gayle, as no true Brit likes a fast-scoring batsman from the colonies, particularly if they're black, but in a one-day, knockout competition like this he could be a player. The Windies aren't as bad a team as they were a few years ago.

They're a fine limited overs outfit, that's for sure. Quite a few people fancy them. They won it last time it was played over here and are the 20-20 world champions as well. Should be a good tournament, though, lots of teams in with a shout.

I don't know where I stand on our batters yet, particularly Trott. I'm not sure whether his style of play suits us and whether he puts pressure on us, or whether its a good job he's there because all the twenty and out merchants frustrate me.Undecided.

• Paid Members

His average is fantastic. His strike rate, not so much.I think the problem is not just him but our top three as a whole. They're all individually great players with superb records, but Trott, Cook and Bell isn't going to strike anyone with fear. And they won't drop any of them either, even when Pietersen comes back.

It's a test match batting top three isn't it. I think they're great but it's never going to be fireworks. We don't have a Chris Gayle style thumper though, apart from Buttler of that last match was anything to go by.

• Paid Members

It is, it's almost a test match approach we take and then leave it to Buttler and Morgan to thump it at the end. It's dangerous, though, because we haven't really got the 7 and 8 that India or West Indies have to back them up if they don't come off. I want to see Pietersen opening again when he comes back in the ODI team, he did well there before his injuries.