Devon Malcolm

The Cricket Thread

At least you get to umpire. Sunday cricket here a member of the batting team does it and gives everything in order to get to the pub quicker. 

I never nicked it Cunningham you prick

There is no worse thing than on a Sunday league game than hearing "We haven't had umpires appointed but we do have a club umpire" followed during the game by "Howzat dad" followed at lightning speed with "That's out son" as the finger shoots up quicker than a striking rattlesnake. 

May as well, everything else we try at opener hasn't worked so maybe just getting 30 on the board before losing the 1st wicket in 5 overs is better than getting 10 for it in 5. 

Hameed knocked 218 against Loughborough the other day. There's still hope! I love the lad but he needs a massive season.

Edited by PowerButchi

Well I'm looking forward to a lot of Vince c Smith b Starc 24 (35) this season.

I gave Merv Hughes's son out LBW on Saturday. Padding up to a spinner, playing no shot. Not revenge for his dad tormenting England in the 80s and 90s but satisfying none the less. 

On 4/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

He's started off well. But he needs to be doing that on a regular basis after the last two years. Personally I would make Roy a starter in the Ashes. It's better to get something on the board than have a Jennings get out at 25. No one we have is going to stay in and do a Cook at this moment. I'm of the idea that we need 3 & 4, namely Root to stay in and soften / rub the ball up. Non of our openers can do it. You can always try Bairstow or Butler again. But I've always tended to see Butler as a middle order player who can score quick runs and push the score up.

Jofra Archer has made the Ireland and Pakistan ODI's but not the preliminary World Cup team. His career to date however has been made up of travelling around the Worlds T20 franchises. The next 50 over game only be his 15th.

At least this way you can see how he adapts to the squad and what his level of durability is. There's a big difference bowling 4 overs to 10, and potentially 20-30 if he makes the test squad later on for the Ashes (which is a real risk).

Sensible move really as he now has a potential of six auditions to force his way into WC squad this summer. If he is half as talented as what people are talking about we will have some player on our hands. If he breaks into the 15 I don't know who gets dropped.

Anyone started their club cricket season yet?

My club has played twice- won one and lost one. We managed a narrow victory yesterday, which included a lovely half century from Max Power.

Anyone else playing? Any victims Lion?

First league game of this season was 13th of April @Max Power

Had the distinct pleasure of giving out Tim Hughes LBW padding up playing no shot. Tim is the son of former Australian quick bowler and all around moustache legend Merv. 

Nothing will top that this season. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Missed out a word