Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

The Cricket Thread

Utterly mystifying decision from Root to bowl first. I was tuned into the first two sessions on and off, then watched the final. The bowling in the evening session was pretty tight on the whole, but from the sounds of it, that was very much the exception.

Smith being gone is key, but it was very much Australia's day. I can see us being blown away once we bat. Big pressure on Cook to deliver too, he didn't impress me in the first Test. Root needs a few runs too unless we want to rely on the newer squad members to spare humiliation.

Innings break, so hope this isn't in contravention of live chat (apologies if so).

Absolute shambles (Charles), every bit as embarrassing as I anticipated before the series. The lack of fight and desire the most saddening bit. Only ray of light in the mire has been Craig Overton's performance; showed fight with the bat and ball. Will almost certainly be dropped for the next test in favour of Woakes/Anderson/Broad I would imagine. 

The simple fact is that none of them bowled well enough on the first day to warrant bowling first. Worse than the bowling of any of the seamers is the fact that Moeen can't turn the ball and Lyon is turning it miles. Once we've lost this test, and we will anyway no matter how well we bowl, they have to give Crane a go if Moeen doesn't turn it. 

What are we thinking now then? I think that if Root can get to three figures, and at least one of Bairstow or Ali can get in the groove, then we have a real chance of what would be a historic come back!

For me though, one of the key aspects will be how they handle the batting line up tommorow. Hopefully, Woakes can defend his wicket for a while to take the sting out of the fresh pace attack. Then I'd personally move Johnny B up above Ali as I can see Lyons having a field day against the Left handers on a day 5 pitch...

My bet is we'll lose a wicket in about the second over of the day, flail around like kippers left on the deck of a boat for a bit, then lose by about 120 runs.

On 04/12/2017 at 9:05 PM, The Curious Orange said:

Before Woakes 2 wickets I thought it was a straightforward move of bringing Wood in for him next test, but I'm not so sure they'll do that now

Wood is dire, Him running in like a mid 30's Gus Fraser after only 4 hours as he's that blown up is not something we need.

11 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

My bet is we'll lose a wicket in about the second over of the day, flail around like kippers left on the deck of a boat for a bit, then lose by about 120 runs.

That was depressingly prescient.

Story of the series, that we haven't performed at the big moments. We get to a position with just merest hint of promise and then kak our whites. 

Edited by Gus Mears

21 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Mystic Mears was bang on the money. If you could let me have 5 numbers and 2 lucky stars for the Euromillions on Friday Gus then I'll see you right. 

15 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Wood is dire, Him running in like a mid 30's Gus Fraser after only 4 hours as he's that blown up is not something we need.

I'm more worried theres a chance we'll go with 3 seamers and bring back Ballance than going with Wood for 4 quick overs before he's gets injured now.

7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Mystic Mears was bang on the money. If you could let me have 5 numbers and 2 lucky stars for the Euromillions on Friday Gus then I'll see you right. 

Haha, occasionally unremitting pessimism comes off. More so than it ought to when it comes to the England cricket team.

I'm with Butcher that they'll lob Wood in for the next test, despite having the engine of an emphysemic 90 year old. At least he shouldn't go full Warrior in a 4 man seam attack if he doesn't fracture his arse again after 3 overs. 

Well it turns out that Ben Duckett is a bit of a bellend. Why on earth would you pour a drink on Jimmy Anderson on the first night that the curfew on the players is lifted. However many tests he has played I strongly doubt he will play any more. 

Very impressive work from Malan and Bairstow today. Cook looks done, get the feeling from his form and comments to the media that he might retire from internationals after this tour. Can't blame him, father to a couple of young kids and has a farm he can retire to.