Varg Vikernes Released

Psygnosis

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Dissection's comeback album was ill-received as well.

Ah, I don't know it.

I have Storm Of The Light's Bane and the Feathers Fell mini-release, both of which got a fair bit of play in my younger days. I torrented The Somberlain at some point, but never got into it. At that point I'd ceased to be interested in actively listening to music, so there wasn't much likelihood of me giving it much of a go.

Thanks for the link to the documentary Until The Light Takes Us, David. It brought back memories of a time when I used to live in Toulouse and there was a pretty lively Black Metal scene (including people that I'd had drinks with and whose gigs I'd attended getting national press after arrests were made for grave desecrations and church burnings, the police discovering exhumed remains and Nazi and satanic paraphenalia at the ringleader's appartment).

I'd never really given thought to the idea that these people who lived in squalour in their twenties would become people who still lived like pigs in their thirties and forties, so it was interesting to see it on film.

I'd have never thought Chris Benoit would go crackers and kill himself and his family.

Though, in hindsight, he was always sort of odd. I still think Benoit is probably a nicer murderer than this Varg chap. I mean, the Vanilla Midget never burned any churches down, did he?

I'd have never thought Chris Benoit would go crackers and kill himself and his family.

The difference is, Benoit suffered head trauma which caused him to lose the place and kill people.

Vikernes has always been in control of his faculties, including when he killed

Exactly, David. Varg hasn't got the excuse of having a broken noggin like Benoit did. He's just a thoroughly unpleasant man who really shouldn't be put up on a pedestal just because he happens to make music.

Worse than wrestling fans who say they find it easier to "forgive" Benoit because he happened to be a good performer.

He's just a thoroughly unpleasant man who really shouldn't be put up on a pedestal just because he happens to make music.

He's not exactly "put on a pedestal" to be fair, it's simply that some people like his music.

There are plenty of thoroughly unpleasant people who are idolised because of their music, most of them more than Vikernes ever will be.

Tupac Shakur got jailed for sexually abusing a woman, and was involved in a gunfight that ended with a six year old boy dead. Is he still regarded as a top hip/hop artist?

He's just a thoroughly unpleasant man who really shouldn't be put up on a pedestal just because he happens to make music.

He's not exactly "put on a pedestal" to be fair, it's simply that some people like his music.

There are plenty of thoroughly unpleasant people who are idolised because of their music, most of them more than Vikernes ever will be.

Tupac Shakur got jailed for sexually abusing a woman, and was involved in a gunfight that ended with a six year old boy dead. Is he still regarded as a top hip/hop artist?

Absolutely, Dave. I just don't think it necceserily very pleasant to say "w00t!" when a right-wing murderer is released from prison, whether you're a fan of his music or not.

If Benoit hadn't killed himself after he did away with Woman and Daniel, and he was granted parole, I'd find it in pretty poor taste if the ROHbots and Meltzerites started saying "Yay! Benoit's being released, sign him to DRAGON GATE for a ***** dream match with that Jap we love!!!" And I'm one of the folks who can still watch events with Benoit matches without even thinking about the '07 atrocities.

• Paid Members

Absolutely, Dave. I just don't think it necceserily very pleasant to say "w00t!" when a right-wing murderer is released from prison, whether you're a fan of his music or not.

If Benoit hadn't killed himself after he did away with Woman and Daniel, and he was granted parole, I'd find it in pretty poor taste if the ROHbots and Meltzerites started saying "Yay! Benoit's being released, sign him to DRAGON GATE for a ***** dream match with that Jap we love!!!" And I'm one of the folks who can still watch events with Benoit matches without even thinking about the '07 atrocities.

I agree. Benoit, even with the head trauma, committed a hideous crime - not just murder, but murder of his family, people who trusted him to protect them, especially his child. Sure, there is an element of diminished responsibility, along with the pressures placed on him by the wrestling industry, but ultimately they pale into the background when you consider he chose to sustain those damages, chose to put Dynamite Kid up there as his idol and model, and chose to abuse steroids in combination with GHB and painkillers. His actions mean his legacy as a human being is poisoned, to say the least. If I was particularly religious, I wouldn't say it was unforgivable, because that's what the concepts of Hell and Purgatory are for, but as an agnostic, I'd say for the present and in this life, he can't be forgiven.

As to his work, I'm still able to separate it from the man and enjoy it. If I didn't, I don't think I could enjoy the work of Dynamite, Snuka, Kerry Von Erich, Manny Fernandez or Jake Roberts. I'd go so far as to say that the number of wrestlers with filth in their pasts (or even their presents) probably outstrips the number of those without.

Archived