(Super) Street Fighter IV

bcwdarkside

• Paid Members

Balrog is one of the strongest characters all round. He can stuff quite a lot of Seth's offense, and I actually found him one of the easiest when fighting Seth.

The tier system has Balrog as an "A" and rightly so. Sagat is "S" and is the only character with said rating. Out and out the best all round fighter in the game. Nothing to say a great player with a "C" character can't regularly beat "A"s, and that an "A" character won't still struggle against their specific nightmare opponents, but it's a good indicator of which characters will dominate when the terms are relatively even.

As for Akuma, for a while now he's had one of the very worst defense ratings in the game. Try doing a move in training against Ryu, then do the same to Akuma and see how much damage it does, and Ryu isn't exceptionally good defense-wise. This means that if you're an average Shotokan player you'd be much better off with Ryu or Ken, because Akuma requires a top-notch defensive game or an attack to devastating that the opponent can't breathe for a second. If Akuma gets hit, it really fucking hurts.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The one major advantage Akuma has though is that his Ultra can't be blocked, so he's awesome for taking online opponents by surprise as they'll stand and block only to be took out.

Tried to unlock gouken last night. Twice I got up to seth having filled all the requirements and twice the cheap bastard beat me. Its annoying becuase those were the first 2 times I've ever been beaten by seth as Sagat (beaten him twice before, but this is all on easiest). How hard is Gouken on easiest? I hope I'm not going to finally beat Seth only to get beaten by Gouken.

• Paid Members

Had some goof larfs on SFIV this evening.

Played THERAMM and AliveAndAmplified.

AAA has improved since last time, which is good to see. Busted out a combo into a super-cancel with Abel a couple of times, which was nice. We also did El Fuerte vs Dhalsim in what was one of the worst matches ever. So bad. Funny though. He also ultra-d me out of Dan's super taunt, which is just not on.

Oh yeah, and I bagged one perfect round in Akuma vs Akuma. Ruahahahah.

THERAMM is clearly a bit of a long-term SF player getting back into the swing of it with the new one. He told me he never played Third Strike, but you can tell when someone has experience of 2D fighters. He is developing a mean E. Honda. Took one round off my Blanka which made me a little bit nervous, but I came through in the end.

My Blanka has not been beaten by a forum member yet, and I aim to keep this going until you've all at least had the game for a few weeks! I won most of the games, but Ramm held his own in the majority and it made for a few good fights. Also I picked Seth for one match and tried my best to recreate that playing against the computer experience that we all love. Lots of teleporting, plenty of piledrivers, the machine gun kick, couple of dragon punches and the washing machine ultra all made an appearance. I think it worked, Ramm found it very unpleasant. Also he noted that Seth in some of his alternate colours looks like an Academy Award.

He really does.

I didn't win 100% of my games against either AAA or Ramm, which is encouraging. The better everyone gets the more fun this will be. I'm hoping for a tournament when everyone's prepared. Also I might ask neil to make a "BLANKA KILLER" member title if someone beats my beloved Jimmy. :D

So as I understand it now, the favourites are starting to emerge as follows:

JLM: Blanka

AliveAndAmplified: Abel

mattshutter: Dhalsim

THERAMM: E. Honda

I played FCWPR (that may be the wrong initials, he's tomcatkevo on XBL) also, but I don't think he had a preferred character yet as he'd only had it for a couple of hous.

MattyC: YOU'RE NEXT!!

Y'know, if you're free and you fancy it or whatever. 'Sup to you really. Could be fun. Just sayin'.

• Paid Members

Played more. Damn this game. Took on MattyC and his work-in-progress Sakura. He's really effective when he gets going. Dominated the first round against him in one match with Vega and then got murdered in the second and third when he hit his stride.

First round of the first match I got a perfect with some Blanka murder, but it was a bit flattering because none of the remaining rounds were particularly one-sided.

So add: MattyC: Sakura to the list.

It's good that everyone's settled on different favourites so far. :)

• Paid Members

JLM is being very modest, I got schooled & I'm not afraid to admit it. I am an old school megadrive streetfighter player, I wasted an entire summer holiday at school one year, my friends hadn't been outside to play once in 6 weeks & all went back to school like albinos, I started to get back into it with the HD remix but I'm loving how some of the old combos from the original still work on SF4.

I'm thinking UKFF league? I think we know who'll win but the top 5 could be interesting? Anyone else fancy a game my tag is RAMMZILLA

I will be the Blanka killer!!

I finally got around to getting the game on friday and I'm finding it incredibly frustrating on the Xbox Control. The gammy analogue stick is starting to really annoy me. Where the best place online to purchase a Joystick pad?

Archived