(Super) Street Fighter IV

bcwdarkside

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bought my copy of SFIV, haven't loaded it up yet as I thought checking out SSF2THDR would be a good warm-up. On Medium, Speed 2 and after thirty continues and two characters (Ken and Akuma)... I want to cry.

Any advice for someone who can't counter-attack at speed and gets beaten in the air at least 70% of the time?

• Awards Moderator
Any advice for someone who can't counter-attack at speed and gets beaten in the air at least 70% of the time?

Beaten in the air as in 'you both attack, their hit wins'? Kick at just past the apex of the jump. Or use Forward (Medium Kick) in the air, which carries high priority for most characters.

Counter-attacking at speed is pretty much 95% of the game (a little less with a shoto-scrub). Practice I'm afraid seph. With Akuma you need to keep the pressure on, utilise the fact that you can spew fireballs everywhere to back them into a corner, then run in with a cheeky Roundhouse sweep. Or pile them on and teleport t'other side.

Ken, I can't help you with. Picked him about a dozen times in 20 years.

• Paid Members

Had a few good Best of 5 matches this morning against some randomer in player match.

The first game was his Gen against my Abel and he was very good with Gen (and also I was surprised at his lack of Ken). When I was playing with Gen I thought he was weak, and shit. This guy showed some of Gen's good abilities and tactics. He also seemed to know the charge>dash cancel thing which caught me off guard once or twice. He won 3-2 with only a tiny speck of health left.

The second game was his Cammy against my Sakura and he was the first Cammy i've played online that didn't spam her special drill and cannon moves, which was nice. Another really close game with me coming back in the supposedly last game with Sakura's ultra finish which took us to another decider. The last match ended again with him with a tiny speck of health left and hitting me with a focus attack.

The third game and my favourite of the 3 was my Balrog against his Sagat in which everything that JLM has been saying about charge characters came into massive use. In the second round I won by charging an ultra during the performance of a super and caught him way off guard, as he assumed I was going to be left vunerable. I also won a game quite well for someone my standard by stunning him and then hitting my ultra on him. It was the first time i'd had the opportunity to win from a stunned opponent and he knew exactly what I was going to do, so it almost felt like I was taunting him which is something i've never been able to do against someone other than Ken. I also made use of other JLM tactics such as charging my move during a ducking block (I was one of those people who walked backwards like a prat). He won this one 3-2 like all of the games we'd played and then he quit. A shame because he's probably the most fun i've had playing online so far, though he did message me afterwards saying I was good and he really needed to focus to beat me. It was nice to get a compliment.

• Paid Members

Yaay fight stories~!.

My weekend away has not happened. Also my train ticket is non-refundable. Tremendous.

Anyway, the upshot is that I'll probably be wanting to do streetfighting online at some stage this weekend. Will keep an eye out for y'all.

• Paid Members
Yaay fight stories~!.

My weekend away has not happened. Also my train ticket is non-refundable. Tremendous.

Anyway, the upshot is that I'll probably be wanting to do streetfighting online at some stage this weekend. Will keep an eye out for y'all.

Bummer :/

I'll be able to give you a few games later, my mate is coming round so i'll practice against him for a while. If he's still here then he'll probably give you a few games too.

My favourite combo was in practice (as its not possible in arcade without infinate special meters) as Sagat. I managed to hit a double super combo. i.e. I hit them with his super combo and as they fell I hit it again. I only ever managed it once!

• Paid Members

Imo, Balrog was good against Seth because of his long range and strength. If you keep calm, stay back and throw charged moves and strong punches, Seth can't hit you with his spinning piledriver, multiple hit zapping thing, etc. He also has enough speed to hit a jab or two if Seth uses his black hole sucking-in thing, cancelling it and leaving him open for some more powerful moves. He's awful if you get too close though, as he's a bit too slow for short range combat.

Gutted! Finally got to the boss with Ken (believe it or not) and the game just stopped on the versus screen. Must have left it for 2 minutes and nothing happened. The game didn't freeze as the P2 controller worked :( Do i try and work my way through the game again or just get a replacement copy?

In online play I'm played 4 lost 4. Is hard to master but I will persiveer

Archived