What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
Which season of Arrested Development would people say is the best one? It's just I downloaded season one and it's really not impressing me so far. I'm finding it funny but only in chunks, some episodes I've only laughed maybe once or twice. Is it just one of those slow starters?

I was exactly the same with it. I ploughed through Season 1 pretty quickly, started Season 2 & haven't really gone back to it in favour of other shows. It was good but I think my expectations may have been overly inflated due to the praise it gets on here. I should probably go back & give it another go but I wouldn't rate it above Modern Family or 30 Rock currently & nowhere near Curb or Eastbound & Down.

• Paid Members
Which season of Arrested Development would people say is the best one? It's just I downloaded season one and it's really not impressing me so far. I'm finding it funny but only in chunks, some episodes I've only laughed maybe once or twice. Is it just one of those slow starters?

I was exactly the same with it. I ploughed through Season 1 pretty quickly, started Season 2 & haven't really gone back to it in favour of other shows. It was good but I think my expectations may have been overly inflated due to the praise it gets on here. I should probably go back & give it another go but I wouldn't rate it above Modern Family or 30 Rock currently & nowhere near Curb or Eastbound & Down.

Yeah I just finished Season 1 and while I did get a bit more into it in the last few episodes, I just find the whole thing a bit flat. I enjoyed Curb and 30 Rock more too, and Community.

Some people say the quality started to dip in season 3, those people are idiots. Overall the best episode is probably Good Grief from season 2.

Yes! Absolutely agreed. For the record I would contend that season 2 is the best, but the whole thing is top quality. It's my favourite sitcom to come out of the States and is only second to Father Ted in general terms.

I was extremely disappointed with the last three or so episodes of series three of AD. They seemed to have blue their load with the excellent "Wee Britain" storyline. Which was phenomenal. The scene that stands out for me was in Series one I think. George Michael sitting on Michael's lap, and them getting stopped by the cops. I was laughing for days after that.

In "hilarious" style, a friend and I have started trying to get AD quotes in our workplace meetings. I managed the two/three/four thousand dollar suit mentioned when talking about corporate customers today. COME ON!

Oh, and the chicken dance but that will only count when others do the other dances too.

I really enjoyed watching Arrested Development the first time round (about 2005? Whenever the first season came out on DVD here anyway) but I started rewatching it on Netflix a couple of months ago and couldn't get into it at all. I thought the stuff with Charlise Theron was terrible the first time round, though.

Anybody watch the BBC mini series Line of Duty? Thought it was pretty good, BBC seems to be one of the best UK channels for producing serious crime drama. Blackout which was on a few weeks/month back was pretty good too.

The Newsroom is also up to episode 7 in the US and I've gotten really into the show too. I felt early in to the season that it could become too stale but it has manage to stay quite fresh by not always sticking to the same format every week.

The Black Dynamite cartoon that is up to episode 4 in the States is probably the best cartoon to come along since Archer for me. Brilliant script and voice work and it looks awesome too. It's from the same people who did The Boondocks (which i quite liked but was a bit hit and miss).

The first episode is a treat for Michael Jackson fans/haters.

Oh, and I think i agree with Liquid Snake that Arrested Development and Father Ted are the two best sitcoms ever. Curb, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers are all close though.

• Paid Members

I'm currently watching The Girl Who Became Three Boys. I was hoping that it was some insight into how this girl managed such an incredible act of deception, but it's clear that it happened because the girls who were fooled are just really thick.

"She was a master of disguise" = She wore Jean Paul Gautierre for men.

I just finished watching that, too. Both of the girls came across really badly. At least the one had the sense to keep her real identity hidden, as Im sure the other one has gotten a lot of shit after this show. My favourate part was the girl fell in love with the "boy" who never spoke, and communicated with her via texting, even though they were sitting next to each other. Bizarre. The part at the start when she blamed Zukkerberg for what happpened, because he created Facebook, was also extremely stupid/well edited to make her look bad.

Ive been making my way through Seinfeld, and have gotten into a pattern of watching an episode every night. Im up to the middle of Season 8. After running for so many seasons, I was expecting a decline in quality, but its still as good as ever. They could have become complacent, but they havent. For example, one of the early episodes of S8 referenced the ugly baby from Season 4/5 (cant remember exactly). It was pretty much a minor part of the episode, but just shows the effort they were still putting in. Episodes like the bizaro world one, and the movie pirating one are as good as any.

Ive been making my way through Seinfeld, and have gotten into a pattern of watching an episode every night. Im up to the middle of Season 8. After running for so many seasons, I was expecting a decline in quality, but its still as good as ever. They could have become complacent, but they havent. For example, one of the early episodes of S8 referenced the ugly baby from Season 4/5 (cant remember exactly). It was pretty much a minor part of the episode, but just shows the effort they were still putting in. Episodes like the bizaro world one, and the movie pirating one are as good as any.

No hugging, no learning.

I maintain that the biggest killer of great sitcoms is writers who suddenly decide they want to write a romance or a soap opera instead of a comedy show.