What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

I'm halfway through season 4 of Parks and Rec and I've got to say it's not quite as good as it used to be but SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Leslie and Ben's relationship is the most I've ever cared about a fictional relationship, It's been written really well to keep the tension and the romance.

When I was watching a download of it there was an ad for a Will Arnett/Christina Applegate show "Up all night" It was literally just an image and title but I like those 2, is it any good?

When I was watching a download of it there was an ad for a Will Arnett/Christina Applegate show "Up all night" It was literally just an image and title but I like those 2, is it any good?

I watched the first episode and it was shite. Can't even remember if I finished it, but definitely had no interest in watching the second episode. If you've got kids, it might be hilarious in that "LOL WE DON'T EVER GET TO GO OUT ANYMORE EITHER, I PLAY X-BOX LIVE TOO LOL" way. Perhaps if I stuck with it, I'd like it more.

• Paid Members
I'm watching the Waltons. Jealous?

My main memory of the Waltons is that mum puts beef in the oven before it starts, potatoes at first adverts, veg on at second adverts, and once you hear "goodnight John Boy", you know the smell of gravy is about to emerge from the kitchen, welcoming in your dinner.

I always assumed Waltons was the sort of program everyone turned over as soon as the music started. I've literally never seen more than the first 4 seconds. Ever.

• Paid Members
I always assumed Waltons was the sort of program everyone turned over as soon as the music started. I've literally never seen more than the first 4 seconds. Ever.

No no, you don't turn over until the music stops. That's a brilliant theme tune

• Moderators

Spartacus may go on to be my favourite show ever if it keeps up this quality for the entire run. It's criminal how under spoken-of (is that a phrase?) this show is. It's the best thing on TV by miles and miles and miles. People might have been put off with how silly it was in the very first three episodes, but suddenly, episode four - BOOM, genuinely incredible from then on. The S1 finale is the most exhilarating hour of television or film I've ever seen. Three more left in this season, and it's blowing me out of my seat week after week.

You're right; I'd say it's probably the best show since Deadwood (that ended after The Wire, right). No shit cliffhangers or building up some dumb, unanswerable mythology, just great drama every week. The season two episode, Libertus, is one of the best single hours of TV I've had in a long, long time.

Conversely, I've just finished watching the first three episodes of Luck and I really don't know how I feel about it. Boardwalk Empire was slow as fuck but this is taking the piss; but, on the other hand, having a cast of Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, Nick Nolte and Joan Allen surrounded by some amazing character actors delivering lines written by David Milch and shot by Michael Mann - or people inspired by him - makes each episode really enjoyable if not exactly thrilling. The only real highlight so far was Hoffman channeling Ric Flair in the opening episode, ripping his shirt off after the mildest of provocations.

• Paid Members
Conversely, I've just finished watching the first three episodes of Luck and I really don't know how I feel about it. Boardwalk Empire was slow as fuck but this is taking the piss; but, on the other hand, having a cast of Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, Nick Nolte and Joan Allen surrounded by some amazing character actors delivering lines written by David Milch and shot by Michael Mann - or people inspired by him - makes each episode really enjoyable if not exactly thrilling. The only real highlight so far was Hoffman channeling Ric Flair in the opening episode, ripping his shirt off after the mildest of provocations.

Mad Men was the same. It was slow burning for pretty much the entire first half of Season 1. It was a slower build that ajmcstyles' face turn.