What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

My thoughts on the finale of Sherlock:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I think I'm easily pleased, but I thought it was bloody fantastic. Desperate for series 3 now. I know the show is clever and everybody likes to take a stab at working it out, but I'm a bit perturbed at the outcry for a forensic explanation into how Sherlock faked his own death. He's fucking Sherlock Holmes, that's how. End of story. In case you haven't noticed, the show isn't cinema verite or ultra-realistic. There has been quirky scenes throughout; his rescue of Irene Adler in 'A Scandal in Belgravia' and the sword-brawl he has with a Middle Eastern assassin INSIDE 221b Baker Street without Watson noticing in 'The Blind Banker' are examples.

Also, whoever said it'd be a better ending if Sherlock was actually dead...what? Are you made of stone? If it wasn't revealed that Sherlock is still alive at the end, it probably would have been the most grim ending to a television show in history. Even though we know he done it to save his friends, who'd want Sherlock Holmes to commit suicide and leave a disgraced legacy behind? I have to admit being quite moved by Martin Freeman's performance in the last scene. I think he has been fine as Watson but he seems to get such tall praise for a role that I think is quite hard to focus on because Cumberbatch is so electric on screen. The grave scene was hard to watch.

Bring it on!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Just watched season one of The Increasingly Bad Decisions of Todd Margaret - very strange to see a couple of top American guys grafted onto a British sitcom. Reminded me why I love british sitcoms, but have a problem collecting whole runs of them - was very funny, but had a mean spirited edge that wasn't matched by the quickfire nature of American comedies, and also it was set in such grime, something that they have a real issue with here.

It's a tough watch at times like. I think I want to enjoy it more than I do, because I love pretty much everybody involved. Tobias and Job would be enough, but I'm a bit in love with Sharon Horgan too. Judging from the first and second episodes of Season 2, it looks to be much of the same. Not sure I'll stick it out to the end, to be honest.

Once again, I'm in bed with NEWM. I've always found Todd Margaret to be less than the sum of its parts. Something about it just doesn't work.

Tonight on BBC4, Jonathan Meades has a three parter on France starting. I love his stuff, he is one of the few genuine intellects presenting on TV. The programme is on at nine if you're interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019m5yy

Cheers for that, would have passed me by if i hadn't seen it here.

Just finished with episode 3 of the Story of Musicals, highly recommended. Also the BBCs Iplayer volume goes up to 11, I've only just noticed that.

• Moderators

I think I'm easily pleased, but I thought it was bloody fantastic. Desperate for series 3 now. I know the show is clever and everybody likes to take a stab at working it out, but I'm a bit perturbed at the outcry for a forensic explanation into how Sherlock faked his own death. He's fucking Sherlock Holmes, that's how. End of story. In case you haven't noticed, the show isn't cinema verite or ultra-realistic. There has been quirky scenes throughout; his rescue of Irene Adler in 'A Scandal in Belgravia' and the sword-brawl he has with a Middle Eastern assassin INSIDE 221b Baker Street without Watson noticing in 'The Blind Banker' are examples.

Also, whoever said it'd be a better ending if Sherlock was actually dead...what? Are you made of stone? If it wasn't revealed that Sherlock is still alive at the end, it probably would have been the most grim ending to a television show in history.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

In which case they shouldn't have written it so that by the end of it that was the only ending that wouldn't have made it shit.

They painted themselves into a corner with that whole ludicrous plot.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Moffat has more to say on the sherlock finale. i'll pop it in spoilers

SHERLOCK writer Stephen Moffat has taunted fans for missing the vital clue about how the private detective faked his own suicide in Sunday's gripping finale.

Theories on the net include there are secretly two Sherlocks, the Victorian sleuth, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, threw a dummy off the roof, or the Baskerville drug was administered to Watson. Some also reckon it means Sherlock's nemesis, Moriarty, is also not dead.

But Moffat said: "There's one clue everyone has missed. It's something Sherlock did that was out of character but which nobody has picked up on."

The show's finale drew 8.2million viewers and a third series starts filming soon

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Though of course superior to us for Drama at the moment, I was a huge fan of The Shadow Line which was on BBC1 over here a few months ago. I would say that's the nearest thing we had to an American style show.

I enjoyed the Shadow Line, thought Rafe Spall's character was really good.

Also, whoever said it'd be a better ending if Sherlock was actually dead...what? Are you made of stone? If it wasn't revealed that Sherlock is still alive at the end, it probably would have been the most grim ending to a television show in history.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

In which case they shouldn't have written it so that by the end of it that was the only ending that wouldn't have made it shit.

They painted themselves into a corner with that whole ludicrous plot.

I thought the ending was shite & couldn't be explained in any way that made sense but my misses pointed something out to me at the time.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

He asked Molly Hooper for help, which is out of character as Moffet said in his clue. She could have supplied a body for the fall & did the post mortem to confirm it was Sherlock. I guess it makes sense in some ways but is still a bit far fetched. Then again the whole series is far fetched.