What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators

After all the praise that has been heaped on it here-abouts, I ended up watching some episodes of Weeds on TV last night (and staying up far too late doing so). Gotta say, it was pretty fun. I could see myself getting sucked into watching it, time permitting..

Also, the theme song is awful.

• Paid Members

Oh it really is. They do that Wire thing where different artists cover it for different seasons. IT DOES NOT HELP.

Fantastic show though, must finish off S5 soon.

I'm crazy with a "Californication" marathon I had when I was on a long-ass train journey. It's awful, I know it's awful, but it just sucks me in. I like Duchovny in it, but his fauz-profound writing is pitiful, the women in it are basically just there to be boobs, his agent is fucking awful, his agent's secretary is like the Daily Mail's idea of what a SuicideGirl would be like...why does it compel me to watch more of it?

* The ship and its justification of "oh, and earlier ship must have come this exact same way and left stargates for us to visit. Convenient, eh?"

That actually made perfect sense. The ancient's plotting of Stargates when on new journeys was pretty well documented in both SG1 and Atlantis, and it is actually the whole premise on which Atlantis is based. The first ship would come by, marking its territory so to speak, and when others followed not only did they have the safety net of the stargate energy signatures to follow, but also had sanctuary if they were attacked.

Thinking about this, why don't they just use the stargates to travel then, rather than the incredibly inefficient way of sending one ship out then sending, for some reason, another ship after it?

I mean, it's foolish to speculate as to what direction the series will take, but if I, as a fairly contented viewer of sci-fi TV, can rip that many holes in it, I think it's going to have to work double-hard to win back viewers who are already thinking of ditching it and get new ones.

finished the first season of Twin Peaks the other week and after being in Florida for a fortnight I have come back to the second series (watched the feature length first episode last night). I absolutely adored the first season.

I've heard different things from different people about season 2 and I was wondering if anyone had opinions on whether or not it was worth it? A lot of people I know have said it really starts declining in quality about half way through the season but several places on the net say otherwise.

Also watched the pilot of True Blood on channel 4 the other night and I can see myself getting into that.

Yeah, but that's a bit like saying 'why take a caravan on holiday, when you could just get the train?'; because the caravan is also your home. Atlantis itself was a big fuck off ship, rather than a city or planet. The Ancients lived on their ships...

The stargates served purposes such as opening communications with those planets, without it meaning that the ancients would actually travel through those planets. Plus, Stargate hopping is tremendously inefficient, as dialling a gate address isn't a quick procedure, so it probably doesn't work that much quicker than just hopping into hyper-space.

finished the first season of Twin Peaks the other week and after being in Florida for a fortnight I have come back to the second series (watched the feature length first episode last night). I absolutely adored the first season.

I've heard different things from different people about season 2 and I was wondering if anyone had opinions on whether or not it was worth it? A lot of people I know have said it really starts declining in quality about half way through the season but several places on the net say otherwise.

It's ok, but yeah you'll notice it clearly dips in quality, I mean the whole Windham Earl stuff was legit boring, however the last couple of episodes really make up for it, the very final scene of the show is awesome.

One of the best ever in TV, imo.

Edited by hemme

Just completed Season 4 of Ideal staring Johnny Vegas, and i'm officially hooked!

Bar Judith (who has become increasingly annoying and lost all of her appeal) all the characters have evolved and are absolutely brilliant. So many twists and turns and the mix of humour and surreal situations is perfect. Id be here all day explaining the simutanious storylines involving various characters, but all you need to know is that they all intertwine with one another make for some awesome viewing.

Season 4 left on somewhat of a cliffhanger, and I just had to find out what the outcome of it was so checked on IMDB to check if a certain somebody was still alive. Cannot wait to watch series 5!!

For my money, Psycho Paul is the best character on the show by a country mile, closely followed by serial Man-a-nizer Brian (who's also the director Graham Duff) who plays his part brilliantly.

Plus theres even a one off appearance of Troy early doors!

Watch this show, you wont be dissapointed.

I don't know if anybody here watches Countdown daily (if you don't, you fucking should, you heathens. Sky+ gives you no excuse to miss it), but shortly we'll be entering the knockout stages of this 'series' and the ultimate winner is going to be this terrified little long haired geek with loads of ticks who reels off multiple 9 letterers and always gets the numbers. And he can "speed cube", solving Rubix Cubes in front of your very eyes in about 30 seconds. Great viewing.

I don't know if anybody here watches Countdown daily (if you don't, you fucking should, you heathens. Sky+ gives you no excuse to miss it), but shortly we'll be entering the knockout stages of this 'series' and the ultimate winner is going to be this terrified little long haired geek with loads of ticks who reels off multiple 9 letterers and always gets the numbers. And he can "speed cube", solving Rubix Cubes in front of your very eyes in about 30 seconds. Great viewing.

Countdown hasnt been the same since Richard Whitely died. However, I must admit Jeff is awesome and so is new bird whos name ive totally for got.. The dent is awesome as well.. Ive just not been keeping up really since Conor trashed everyone and before him, Scott Means hammered all and sundry... now that would be clash of the titans!

Bring back 15 to 1.. now that too was fricking awesome