What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators
Excellent.

You know what else I've been meaning to download? Carnivale. Also Deadwood. Two shows I totally missed out on and heard endless gushing praise for. I will watch them, but in both cases, just how heartbreaking is it that they were cancelled before their time? I hear it's particularly horrendous for Carnivale, but is it so frustrating that I shouldn't watch or is the stuff that they DID make so good that it's unmissable even without resolution?

Carnivale is one of my top 3 shows ever, really one of the most incredible things ever broadcast. It does end on a pretty bad cliffhanger, in terms of "OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE S3 THAT NEVER COMES!" but the main threads of the first two seasons are all tied up, it was more of an ending that showed what (amazing) direction the next two seasons would have taken. They planned it as six seasons, with three "volumes," taking two seasons apiece to tell. S3 would have been Volume II, but Volume I was completed. That's my long-winded way of saying you really shouldn't let the cancellation put you off of watching it altogether.

Ive been making my way through Supernatural. Have been enjoying it alot. The first series was good, the second was even better. The third was probably the weakest so far, probably down to the writers strike. Im about halfway through the fourth season, and it looks to be on course to be the best season of the entire show. Its been venturing away from the "Monster of the week" format that it had for the first few seasons, and has been focused a lot more on the main story arc of the show.

Im glad I started watching it. The main characters are very good, and have been given lots of layers throughout the show. Theres some very nice comedy thrown in, and the main storylines for the seasons have been very good. Im enjoying the "Angels and Demons" story a lot, combined with Sam's journey to the dark side. Its also shot extremely well, and has some top notch special effects.

Yeah series 4 is probably the best mate. I'm a little bit worried though, as the orig. plan for the show was 5 series. Not to give anything away (you wnt see it coming anyway) The end of 5 was supposed to be the end of it all together but they've commissioned 2 more seasons, be interesting to see how they do it.

Finished season2 of Chuck, glad its coming back for another, really enjoyable show

• Paid Members

I have only seen two episodes thus far, but it really isn't like Buffy at all. The style, the tone, the flow of the episodes and the issues of prejudice/discrimination/the small town "us vs them" mentality etc. are all totally unlike Buffy. The heroine is young, attractive, blonde, independent, strong-willed and falls for a vampire, other than that you'd be clutching at straws to draw valid comparisons.

• Paid Members
Still watching The Wire. I do have one huge problem with it though - it has made an awful lot of shows that I once thought were good seem very, very shit.

Snoop is the single greatest character in the history of fiction.

With the irony there being that Snoop isn't really a character at all, she's a real person who was still running a drug corner during season 3 of The Wire and spent time in prison for murder. Apart from the cold blooded assassin aspect of her character, Snoop is the real deal (and to emphasize this the writers use her real name and alias). Watch her in interviews on YouTube, she actually talks that fucked up in real life.

And yes JLm you should watch Deadwood. It's fucking amazing. It's so rich and well written it makes almost everything look retarded next to it. Al Swearengen is also the biggest badass ever.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
Excellent.

You know what else I've been meaning to download? Carnivale. Also Deadwood. Two shows I totally missed out on and heard endless gushing praise for. I will watch them, but in both cases, just how heartbreaking is it that they were cancelled before their time? I hear it's particularly horrendous for Carnivale, but is it so frustrating that I shouldn't watch or is the stuff that they DID make so good that it's unmissable even without resolution?

Carnivale is one of my top 3 shows ever, really one of the most incredible things ever broadcast. It does end on a pretty bad cliffhanger, in terms of "OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE S3 THAT NEVER COMES!" but the main threads of the first two seasons are all tied up, it was more of an ending that showed what (amazing) direction the next two seasons would have taken. They planned it as six seasons, with three "volumes," taking two seasons apiece to tell. S3 would have been Volume II, but Volume I was completed. That's my long-winded way of saying you really shouldn't let the cancellation put you off of watching it altogether.

My main criticism of Carnivale really is that all the stuff that isn't really the main story eg. Jonesy banging the fat stripper and then marrying her daughter, is basically all filler for the gaps inbetween the awesome main storyline. None of it is paticularly interesting or gripping in the slightest.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
Weeds and Chuck are the best comedies I've seen in ages and even then neither of them could really be classed as sit-coms.

Am I the only one who absolutely hated Chuck then? Aside from Yvonne Strahovski, I couldn't find any redeeming features in it at all.

Edited by Setting Sun