UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
What's the deal with the "wrestlers handshake" ?

Is that a euphemism? Is that what Patterson used to call the ol' reach-around?

Or do you just mean when wrestlers shake each other's hands, which best I can tell is the same as any handshake?

Or do you just mean when wrestlers shake each other's hands, which best I can tell is the same as any handshake?

I believe I know what you are on about.

Essentially, when wrestlers shake other wrestler's hands it's a very soft handshake. None of this overly-firm, macho stuff.

From what I was told back when i used to train, it used to be a way of knowing who was actually in on the 'work' back when that mattered. If someone tried to crush your hand with a macho handshake, they weren't in on how the business worked and were probably some bloke trying to look hard. If the handshake was soft, you knew it was another worker.

I think the tradition just stuck. Another part of it was that it stopped backstage hardmen from trying to out-do each other in the macho handshake department.

Just one of those little things that people did really. I certainly noticed it when being introduced to veterans while training.

I believe I know what you are on about.

Essentially, when wrestlers shake other wrestler's hands it's a very soft handshake. None of this overly-firm, macho stuff.

From what I was told back when i used to train, it used to be a way of knowing who was actually in on the 'work' back when that mattered. If someone tried to crush your hand with a macho handshake, they weren't in on how the business worked and were probably some bloke trying to look hard. If the handshake was soft, you knew it was another worker.

I think the tradition just stuck. Another part of it was that it stopped backstage hardmen from trying to out-do each other in the macho handshake department.

Just one of those little things that people did really. I certainly noticed it when being introduced to veterans while training.

Yeah, that's the one. Seemed a little strange to me but hey ho. Is it still common place with wrestlers or is just the veterans who keep it going ?

• Paid Members

I believe in Shawn Michaels book he mentioned that he thought it was goofy so he and a few others dropped it in the mid-nineties. Not sure if he's changed his mnd these days. I imagine everyone is different.

I'd be interested to know if British wrestlers do it and where it originated.

i just watched a DVD rip of the 2000 Royal rumble not sure if it was a tagged classic, and it had Cactus Jacks music edited out, and the clips of his deathmatchs in japan replaced with ECW footage. Why ? Im guessing that they dont have the rights to the deathmatchs, but i thought cactus music was wwf producded

Also are all the WWF scratch logos blured out on the Tagged Classic DVDs?

• Paid Members

I hate that handshake code bollocks. Firstly because i can't stand a wet handshake, secondly because i'd expect rugged, old-school wrestlers to have a firm handshake and thirdly and most importantly it would give me and i'd have thought anyone else an entirely different message. A firm handshake would give me the impression i was in safe hands and the other guy would hold things real tight. A sloppy handshake would tell me the other guy is just that, sloppy. Sloppy, clumsy, unsure, hesitant.

i just watched a DVD rip of the 2000 Royal rumble not sure if it was a tagged classic, and it had Cactus Jacks music edited out, and the clips of his deathmatchs in japan replaced with ECW footage. Why ? Im guessing that they dont have the rights to the deathmatchs, but i thought cactus music was wwf producded

Also are all the WWF scratch logos blured out on the Tagged Classic DVDs?

Jack's WWF music was stock production music, not originally produced stuff.

Dont they usually replace it with the REAL Cactus Jack theme? The one where they state that he's not on a team or a member of a gang. He's Cactus Jack and better known as Mr. Bang, Bang? That was the Cactus Jack theme. Awesome stuff.

LOVE that theme. That was from the cheesy early 90s WCW theme song era. Stuff like that and Steinerlined RULED

I've been really busy over the past couple of weeks and so I've not been able to catch any WWE programming. The last episode I caught was the Raw where Edge announced his retirement. I'm looking to watch the ER PPV tonight so if anybody can give me a brief run-down of anything of note that may have happened in the interim then I'd be very grateful. A reply in a spoiler tag would be wonderful.

Cheers in advance if anybody can help.

• Paid Members
What was the story behind WWE losing the master tape of one of the episodes of Nitro a few years ago?

I don't know if they've actually lost anything but, from what I've read, the WCW tape library is so unorganised that they don't really know where anything is. According to PWinsider, they're actually paying people to go through all the tapes and sort it out.