UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

In the Raw in Houston where JBL was introduced to be Cole's choice of ref, Austin marched down, twatted JBL and scared Cole off before signing the contract himself.

• Paid Members

I'm watching Summerslam 98 again for the first time since it aired (it's held up better than most things around that time frame), anyway, I'd forgot that the Lions Den match was filmed outside of MSG, it's not the Hammerstein it's in, is it?, it looks far too small, and the roof looks too low down for it to be the Hammerstein, but those balconies look strikingly familiar.

Someone help!,

• Paid Members
I'm watching Summerslam 98 again for the first time since it aired (it's held up better than most things around that time frame), anyway, I'd forgot that the Lions Den match was filmed outside of MSG..

Wikipedia says they filmed it in a different area of MSG with a special crowd....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SummerSlam_1998

When the likes of IRS, Virgil and Tito Santana left WWF in the mid 90s, were they released in a spree like the modern post Mania releases, or was there a bit more to it?

Things didn't seem to be as cut-throat in those days as they are now. I guess because the WWF were so good at marketing their guys and everyone was of some value, they'd have preferred not to lose them as almost anyone who was on WWF TV would be somewhat of a coup for WCW. Regular culls weren't common in the 90s.

Of those 3 you mentioned, i don't think any were fired. IRS was there until 1995, got injured then decided to go to WCW. Virgil had fallen to almost Jim Powers/Jim Brunzell levels by 1994, although i'm not sure the circumstances of him leaving. I doubt he was fired though, he was handy to have as a jobber with some name value. Tito Santana left not long after WM9 in 1993 because he was retiring as a full time active competitor to work more sporadically on the indies.

I'm watching Summerslam 98 again for the first time since it aired (it's held up better than most things around that time frame), anyway, I'd forgot that the Lions Den match was filmed outside of MSG..

Wikipedia says they filmed it in a different area of MSG with a special crowd....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SummerSlam_1998

Wasn't it the Paramount Theatre which is adjacent to MSG?

When the likes of IRS, Virgil and Tito Santana left WWF in the mid 90s, were they released in a spree like the modern post Mania releases, or was there a bit more to it?

Things didn't seem to be as cut-throat in those days as they are now. I guess because the WWF were so good at marketing their guys and everyone was of some value, they'd have preferred not to lose them as almost anyone who was on WWF TV would be somewhat of a coup for WCW. Regular culls weren't common in the 90s.

Of those 3 you mentioned, i don't think any were fired. IRS was there until 1995, got injured then decided to go to WCW. Virgil had fallen to almost Jim Powers/Jim Brunzell levels by 1994, although i'm not sure the circumstances of him leaving. I doubt he was fired though, he was handy to have as a jobber with some name value. Tito Santana left not long after WM9 in 1993 because he was retiring as a full time active competitor to work more sporadically on the indies.

Thanks for the response. I had sorta guessed as much but never really knew. I'm guessing it was a similar deal for guys like Martel too, when I was kid I didn't bat an eyelid when he turned up in the 95 Rumble, but was he still under contract at the time and working TV's or was he just a one night appearance only? I seem to remember him disappearing just after WM X time.

Thanks for the response. I had sorta guessed as much but never really knew. I'm guessing it was a similar deal for guys like Martel too, when I was kid I didn't bat an eyelid when he turned up in the 95 Rumble, but was he still under contract at the time and working TV's or was he just a one night appearance only? I seem to remember him disappearing just after WM X time.

Martel was a bit like Koko B Ware and the Bushwhackers in that he was never far away, but regularly disappeared for a few months here and there between 1992 and 1994. At least they had the perfect gimmick-related reason for it when he returned - they said he was away travelling the world on modelling shoots. I don't know if he was continually under contract or if he was released then rehired numerous times during that time, but i think he did leave soon after WMX, and the 1995 Rumble was a one shot deal. He did appear on some Canadian house shows in early 95 and there were rumours of him returning in a tag team with the Jackal of all people, but obviously nothing came of it. I would have liked to see him take Jacques place in the Quebecers when he retired.