UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Bret Hart -> Bob Backlund -> Diesel. Why?

I'm only assuming, but I would guess...

1) Diesel just turned face, so beating Face Bret Hart wouldn't have made sense.

2) It was a brilliant continuation to the Bret V Owen feud, so made perfect sense.

Bob was simply a necessary transitional, Heel Champion.

Bret Hart -> Bob Backlund -> Diesel. Why?

I'm only assuming, but I would guess...

1) Diesel just turned face, so beating Face Bret Hart wouldn't have made sense.

2) It was a brilliant continuation to the Bret V Owen feud, so made perfect sense.

Bob was simply a necessary transitional, Heel Champion.

Bret had arena matches at the time with Jim Neidhart, which were bombing. They needed to get the title off of him.

As a viewer, this wasn't known at the time, I certainly didn't expect Backlund to take the title at all.

Diesel's face turn was completed on the same night, when he finally snapped at HBK.

To tune into Mania the following Friday night and find that Diesel had taken the title from Backlund was a MASSIVE shock.

At this point Nash was a nobody, Shawn Michaels bodyguard, given an IC title run only to improve HBK's mic / outside the ring skills.

At the time, it was a totally out of the blue few days which made for shock tv. In hindsight, you can easily argue that it worked, and made Kevin Nash who he is today. (Or was at one point, in fairness)

• Paid Members
Was there any ever rumours of The Undertaker jumping ships to WCW in the 90s?

I'm sure I read somewhere that Taker did look into it when Bret Hart was going to go the first time in 1996, but, from what I recall reading, Bischoff said he was basically useless without the whole "Dead Man" gimmick and it would prove to be a legal hassle if he ever did come in.

I believe this whole thing happened before Mankind came in.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Diesel's face turn was completed on the same night, when he finally snapped at HBK.

To tune into Mania the following Friday night and find that Diesel had taken the title from Backlund was a MASSIVE shock.

At this point Nash was a nobody, Shawn Michaels bodyguard, given an IC title run only to improve HBK's mic / outside the ring skills.

At the time, it was a totally out of the blue few days which made for shock tv. In hindsight, you can easily argue that it worked, and made Kevin Nash who he is today. (Or was at one point, in fairness)

Nash wasn't a nobody at this point, not at all. He was very over as Michaels' Monster tag partner/bodyguard, he was a former IC and current Tag Champ, and he'd ruined a whole bunch of people at the Royal Rumble (where the crowd began chanting for him and getting behind him, despite being Heel).

What's more, his Face turn on Michaels was one of the biggest stories playing out in the WWF at the time. It was hardly a case of a lower card (nobody cares) tag team splitting. The manner in which he split was also part of it; he destroyed the whole of the other team at Survivor Series, looking like a Killer, and then when he snapped, he tore through his own team to try and get to Michaels.

Diesel was built up perfectly. Sure, the speed at which he became Champ was shocking, but he'd been prepared, from a character point of view.

• Paid Members

Diesel wasn't a nobody. As you say, his Rumble and Survivor Series contributions were excellent. He had been presented as being inferior to Razor Ramon though, I felt, which made him a slightly odd choice for champ.

Not sure about the reasons for taking the title off Bret other than to freshen up the top of the card and because they felt tha Nash had something. If drawing poorly against Neidhart was the problem, the solution was obvious. Stop booking Jim fucking Neidhart in world title matches.

I hated the Backlund angle at the time being a big Bret Hart fan. I still do to be honest but I can see the need for it.

• Paid Members

Wasn't it also something about Bret Hart wanting an extended Christmas break with his family and was willing to drop it to anybody (well, Hart's buddies) at the Survivor Series? This was supposedly Hart's way of sticking it to the "kliq". He'd drop it to anybody, just not to any of you guys.

I'm sure I also remember reading that he was more than happy dropping the belt to Backlund. He was pretty peeved when he found out that Nash got it though, as he thought Backlund would have had a longer reign.

I dread to think what a longer Backlund - Diesel match would have turned out like at the time.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
Wasn't it also something about Bret Hart wanting an extended Christmas break with his family and was willing to drop it to anybody (well, Hart's buddies) at the Survivor Series? This was supposedly Hart's way of sticking it to the "kliq". He'd drop it to anybody, just not to any of you guys.

Probably cobblers. He made it sound in his book at the time he considered each of those guys to be his friends at that point, he just didn't buy into their "we'll all look out for each other" mentality that they initially invited him to be part of, i.e. protecting their spots at the top, and preferred to hang around by himself or he'd hang out with just one of them, or just Undertaker, or just Bam Bam or whoever. The real problems didnt start til 1995 when he realized how they suddenly were monopolizing the top of the cards and he was getting nothing feuds.