UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Could anyone provide me with a list of the full talent and staff WWF took over when purchasing WCW. I've seen a few kicking about online but they don't seem accurate. For example, some had Stevie Ray and Disco etc and I'm doubtful if either were involved in the move. I even read about Double J being part of it but for obvious reasons Vince wasn't into that.

There weren't 21 weren't there? Some number like that. Actually, now that I thin kabout it, I'm not sure ray made the jump at all.

There's probably some confusion about Jarrett due to Vince 'firing' him on the first night of the angle.

Edited by Vamp

• Paid Members
Could anyone provide me with a list of the full talent and staff WWF took over when purchasing WCW. I've seen a few kicking about online but they don't seem accurate. For example, some had Stevie Ray and Disco etc and I'm doubtful if either were involved in the move. I even read about Double J being part of it but for obvious reasons Vince wasn't into that.

The wrestlers were as follows:

Mike Awesome

Hugh Morrus

Lance Storm

Chavo Guerrero

Shawn Stasiak

Johnny the Bull

Shane Helms

Shannon Moore

Evan Karagias

Chuck Palumbo

Sean O'Haire

Mike Sanders

Mark Jindrak

Elix Skipper

Kwee Wee

Lash Leroux

The Wall

Kaz Hayashi

Jamie Noble

Jimmy Yang

Stacy Keibler

Reno

Kid Romeo

Jason Jett

I don't have full list of non wrestling talent but you can also add referees Nick Patrick and Charles Robinson, plus the short lived WCW match commentary team of Scott Hudson and Arn Anderson.

EDIT: That list is from the original questions thread in Gold, thinking about it some more, I'm fairly sure there may have been some others early on too, such as Booker T, Buff Bagwell and Torrie Wilson.

Edited by Catfish Jake

• Paid Members

I always get a tingle when I see the list of 24 wrestlers they picked up when the sale went through. I remember going "oh, 3 Count vs. Spike, Bubba and Devon at WrestleMania would be class" and writing down scenarios e-fed style of a X-Pac vs Kid Romeo feud. Fuck the rest of you, I remember making the best of a bad situation and doing full on fantasy booking with the a bunch of nobodies. A 16 year old Ian didn't need a Goldberg or Sting.

My fantasy booking always ended up with someone getting spray painted, though.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Kanyon isnt on the list either. What happened to the guys who didnt make TV, ie, Reno/Jett/The Wall? I watched OVW back then, and dont remember any of them being on there. Were most of them just released soon after the buyout?

Also, what was the process for it just being these guys? Were these the ones WWF chose to keep (Lash Leroux and Kwee Wee make me think not)? I assume WCW, even in 2001, still had a silly amount of lower card guys under contract (the Mike Enos' of the world for example), so what happened to all those guys when it was taken over?

As Im here, when was the last time WWE did a pre-match "Show the wrestlers walking backstage to tense music"? Off the top of my head it was that Summerslam with Foley/Austin/Triple H. Wonder why they stopped doing it, as I thought it really added to the importance of a match.

• Paid Members
Kanyon isnt on the list either. What happened to the guys who didnt make TV, ie, Reno/Jett/The Wall? I watched OVW back then, and dont remember any of them being on there. Were most of them just released soon after the buyout?

A lot of them went to the Heartland Wrestling Association and were signed to the shittest of shit deals and then released.

Kanyon was signed after the buyout.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Didn't most talent have the choice of whether to stay and keep their WCW contracts till they expired or potentially take a pay cut and move to the WWF? I imagine the likes of Mike Enos et al knew they wouldn't stand a chance of getting anywhere in WWF so just decided to sit out the remainder of their time warner contracts.

Didn't most talent have the choice of whether to stay and keep their WCW contracts till they expired or potentially take a pay cut and move to the WWF?

Think that was just the elite guys on Time Warner deals, like DDP, Nash, Goldberg, etc. They could have had a lump sum payout and get them off their contract. Edit: Also, paying off all those guys contracts (who were 'sitting out' their contract) would have been a sizable sum, which I dont think has ever been mentioned when talking about WWF's purchase of WCW.

A lot of them went to the Heartland Wrestling Association and were signed to the shittest of shit deals and then released.

So everyone's (bar the Time Warner guys) contract was voided once it was taken over? Was it a case of Kwee Wee having a WCW contract, WCW getting bought out, and WWF actually offering him a shit deal? If thats the case, Im suprised the list of people signed was so big.

Edited by Dai

• Paid Members
As Im here, when was the last time WWE did a pre-match "Show the wrestlers walking backstage to tense music"? Off the top of my head it was that Summerslam with Foley/Austin/Triple H. Wonder why they stopped doing it, as I thought it really added to the importance of a match.

The "It's The Main Event Now" music was great. I think Survivors '96 was the first time they used it, and in later years they just gave it to the lowering of the Cell, which perhaps even more fitting. Dum dum dum dum dum dum........

Sorry, that's not really answering your question.

Thanks for the info. What about guys like DDP who was active during the angle? did he sign separately or was part of the deal?

I'm not basing it on anything other than what I thought at the time but I always figured the stalker gimmick was started planning to reveal someone already on the roster and when the buy out happened they thought something along the lines of "well we only have Booker T & DDP from their main eventers, we're bringing Booker in as champion but if we don't do something big with DDP and he's just another guy this is going to be really shit."