UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members
Has there ever been such a drop in quality from the G1 Climax match with Rude/Chono to the rematch at Havoc?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a dip so soon after the first match, but in terms of just "a rematch" I'd say Hogan/Warrior is the rematch that least lived up to the first. I mean.... fuck me ragged, that was miserable.

Has there ever been such a drop in quality from the G1 Climax match with Rude/Chono to the rematch at Havoc?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a dip so soon after the first match, but in terms of just "a rematch" I'd say Hogan/Warrior is the rematch that least lived up to the first. I mean.... fuck me ragged, that was miserable.

Yep, totally see that, what about Flair/Sting comparing the COTC 1 match against the epic rematch from Impact in 2011!

Idle speculation time.

If Bubba Ray had become Bully Ray in 2002, when he went to the Raw brand as a singles competitor... how would his career have gone? Would he have become an established main eventer?

To be clear, by Bully Ray I mean the in-shape, smart talking, top performing guy we've been seeing for the last couple of years in TNA.

• Paid Members
Idle speculation time.

If Bubba Ray had become Bully Ray in 2002, when he went to the Raw brand as a singles competitor... how would his career have gone? Would he have become an established main eventer?

To be clear, by Bully Ray I mean the in-shape, smart talking, top performing guy we've been seeing for the last couple of years in TNA.

Idle speculation?

If you want Bully Ray at the absolute best of his character, he's a heel. That same heel character on the Raw roster of 2002 and beyond would have had one major obstacle to main event stardom, namely Triple H. This isn't a "Hunter keeping guys down" post, but realistically the main event heel roster of Raw consisted of Trips and Trips alone, from the moment Lesnar went to SmackDown and the Undisputed title dissolved, essentially until the 2005 draft took Kurt Angle over to the red brand. Yes, technically heels contested Raw PPV main events in that time, but they were either mid-carders occupying a spot but not truly perceived as being "main eventers" (in my eyes) at the time (Kane, Jericho), were leaving (Jericho), or were swiftly turned babyface (Orton). On Raw, Bully would have been an effective guy for the babyfaces to go over to "get them ready for Hunter" if you like, snugly in the semi-main spot. But he wouldn't have upset the status quo of who actually closed the show.

SmackDown on the other hand may have benefited from a character like Bully who could have had a good shelf life as a heel opponent for Undertaker and Lesnar post-turn, then once established, the Reys, Benoits and Edges of the crew. However, this might have gone against the clear divide they had going on with Raw being for the entertainment/soap opera/big name all-rounders, and SmackDown being the show for the perceived super workers to have the great wrestling matches with less of the over-the-top storylines. At least, that's the way the news sites always described the internal perception of the differences in the brands.

But yeah, the hard-working motivated Bully Ray of today, I think, on the Raw roster of 2002 would have been solidly top of the midcard and worked the RVDs and Booker Ts in the penultimate match of the PPV, waiting in the wings for Hunter's sabbatical or transfer to SmackDown.

• Paid Members

I preferred Bully Ray as that upper midcard heel feuding with Austin Aries and AJ Styles. He was class in 2011/12. His heel run hasn't done anything for me, to be honest. Might be down to how off putting these bikers are or it could have been that he was the first champion of the 4 PPVs a year era and he's had to feud with the same people for months on end, but it hasn't lived up to what I was expecting it to be. I couldn't see him ever cutting it as a main eventer in WWE.

Bully's on the Benoit/Mel Phillips list apparently. Triple H hates him for whatever reason. Batista and Orton think he's the worst as well. They got taken off TV in 2005 just to run their contracts down so they could fuck off. If it wasn't for Heyman, we wouldn't have seen them at One Night Stand. No idea what happened. Says a lot that WWE weren't even interested in him or Devon when their contracts were up last year.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Bully's on the Benoit/Mel Phillips list apparently. Triple H hates him for whatever reason. Batista and Orton think he's the worst as well. They got taken off TV in 2005 just to run their contracts down so they could fuck off. If it wasn't for Heyman, we wouldn't have seen them at One Night Stand. No idea what happened.

Could it stem from that tag match in 2003 where both Orton and Dave got injured? They might consider the Dudleys were reckless with them.

I doubt there's anything more to it than Bully being a total prick in real life. I've heard very few people with anything good to say about him. I was re-watching an old Sid shoot interview the other night and even he slagged him off for the brief encounters he had with him in ECW.

I doubt there's anything more to it than Bully being a total prick in real life. I've heard very few people with anything good to say about him. I was re-watching an old Sid shoot interview the other night and even he slagged him off for the brief encounters he had with him in ECW.

He's always struck me as the sort of person who comes across as an abrasive prick... until you get to know him. I'd put money on it being the case.

• Paid Members

Here's the quote. Cant find the link.

"I never liked him," Orton said of Bubba. "I never liked what he did because he only thought of himself. In the match my foot was broken, it was his fault... Bubba Dudley is the most out of shape, fat, non-work-ethic-having person I knew. And you had a bad taste in your mouth when you met him."

Here's Batista's opinion:

BUBBA DUDLEY IS AN ASSHOLE

The match continued for a while, and it was just a nightmare. When it ended, they haulded Randy out in an ambulance. I followed in a car. Even Bubba Dudley got hurt, injuring his back.

Or so he claimed.

See, the thing that really, really drives me crzy about that night was that Bubba Dudley bitched out Randy while he was being put into the ambulance. Bubba started yelling at Randy, claiming that because of landing on Randy's foot, he had hurt his back.

Excuse me?

Because Bubba broke Randy's foot by landing on it and crushing it, Bubba's back hurt and it was Randy's fault.

Yeah, that's it. Randy's in the ambulance with a broken foot and Bubba's screaming and yelling at him.

And you know, usually if somebody gets injured in your match, or even if it's just a guy you work with, at some point you try to give him a call to check on him and see how he's doing. You want to show a little bit of concern. He's a coworker, and whether you were responsible or not, it's just a polite thing to do. The right thing to do. Show you care.

Needless to say, Bubba never gave me or Randy a call just to see how we were doing. Nothing.

In my opinion, Bubba Dudley is a jerk-off. He's one of those people who used to always bully guys and throw his weight around just because he had a good position in the company. He'd been around for a long time and he was one of those veterans who'd always treated the rookies like sh*t. He treated me like sh*t. He treated Randy like sh*t. To this day, I can't forgive him.

I don't have a whole lot of bad things to say about people, but Bubba Dudley will always be a piece of shit in my book.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

What's Hade Vansen up to these days. Wiki says he's retired. Is that the case? If so, did he retire after he was released from his WWE deal or did he work for a while after that?

As far as I know he's not wrestled since he was future endeavoured. I understand he turned his hand to acting.

Hopefully someone on here that keeps in touch with Hade can provide a better update.