UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Watched 'The True Story of Wrestlemania' the other day.

At WM8 it mentions originally is was to be Hogan/Flair. Why did they change their mind and go with Savage/Flair instead?

I've heard it was because of Hogan's decision to "retire". Flair beating Hogan at WrestleMania was a no-no and putting Hogan over a drawing card only for him to walk away was also a no-no. So apparantly they switched it so Hogan wouldn't have to lose and they could end WM with their babyface winning.

Meltzer has said in the past that it's because their house-show run was receiving only tepid reactions, so McMahon determined that he would need to programme something else in the main event.

They answer this in this month's issue of Power Slam funnily enough. Basically what Ronnie said was right, they had done the match on House Shows in all of the major North American markets, and the attendance was getting lower and lower due to over exposure of the same match routine. Vince thought they needed something fresh for Wrestlemania, so they went with the two matches we got.

• Paid Members

At WM8 it mentions originally is was to be Hogan/Flair. Why did they change their mind and go with Savage/Flair instead?

They said on the documentary that Flair wasnt "living up to expectations" and decided to run with Sid. So it sounds like Meltzers reasons are probably true. If you remember, Hogan vs Flair was still booked as the main event of WrestleMania even after the big Sid vs Hogan angle at the Royal Rumble. Hogan won a "telephone poll" and got the shot against Flair. It was only later it was changed.

• Paid Members

They said on the documentary that Flair wasnt "living up to expectations" and decided to run with Sid. So it sounds like Meltzers reasons are probably true. If you remember, Hogan vs Flair was still booked as the main event of WrestleMania even after the big Sid vs Hogan angle at the Royal Rumble. Hogan won a "telephone poll" and got the shot against Flair. It was only later it was changed.

The telephone poll is shown on the TSOWM. I'd never seen it before that.

Sid's facials were amazing (as always) He looked like he was gonna kick right off and shit his pants at the same time.

Amazing.

You've already bought it, so watch it and find out?

i would like to know peoples opinions of the show, like those that went or had seen it before you know what i mean jackass?

Wouldn't it be more interesting if you watched the show first, then asked people for their opinions so you could see if you agreed or disagreed with them? It just annoys me when people say they've bought something then want opinions on it before they watch it. You've already done the hard work in parting money for it, so just pop it in and see what you think!

Jackass.

first of all apologies for calling you a jackass, that was bang out of order, secondly whats so wrong with wanting to know what other fans thought of a show that you havent seen before?

i would like to know peoples opinions of the show, like those that went or had seen it before you know what i mean jackass?

Wouldn't it be more interesting if you watched the show first, then asked people for their opinions so you could see if you agreed or disagreed with them? It just annoys me when people say they've bought something then want opinions on it before they watch it. You've already done the hard work in parting money for it, so just pop it in and see what you think!

Jackass.

first of all apologies for calling you a jackass, that was bang out of order, secondly whats so wrong with wanting to know what other fans thought of a show that you havent seen before?

Nothing. It just seems odd to me, thats all. I could understand why you'd do it if you hadn't bought the DVD, asking others for their opinion to help you decide whether to buy it or not. But buying it then asking others what they think of it before watching just strikes me as odd.

It's cool though.

Jackass.

Nothing. It just seems odd to me, thats all. I could understand why you'd do it if you hadn't bought the DVD, asking others for their opinion to help you decide whether to buy it or not. But buying it then asking others what they think of it before watching just strikes me as odd.

It's cool though.

fair do's mate

Just ordered both Honor Takes Center Stage shows for the weekend.. What time GMT does iPPV start tonight? , with the clocks going forward recently I'm a bit confused. Just says 8PM on go fight live.

someone told me the otherday that the first wrestlemania was shown on terresteral tv is this correct ?

I read somewhere before that Britain first got to see Wrestlemania 1 and 2 on Sky Movies, just before Wrestlemania 3.

I was under this impression also. A quick google has produced nothing concrete, I know even up to the very early 90's ppvs were still on sky movies as it was pre sky sports. I'd imagine this is a confusion between the wwf stuff that was on ITV sporadically during the dying days of world of sport.

Sky Movies didn't start until 1989. As far as I know, WrestleMania 2 through 5 were on Sky Channel (later Sky One), with WM3 the only one at was live. 6 through 9 were live on Sky Movies, with everything after that on Sky Sports (10 on tape delay) and later Sky Box Office.

Eurosport also showed a few events like WM6 on a 6 week or so tape delay split into two shows

• Moderators

There's a video on TVARK or somewhere like that which has an advert for Wrestlmania 1 on Sky Channel, and it'd make sense for there's footage of "Land of a thousand dances" on youtube off Sky Channel on youtube.

• Paid Members

According to a Meltzer newsletter (might have been on old one) it was always going to be Hogan vs Sid. The promised match was the main reason Sid jumped over from WCW. It was in his contract.

• Paid Members

What/when was the blow off of the Hogan/Undertaker feud in late 91/early 92?

I remember seeing a match on one of the Hogan compilation tapes where he beat Taker with a rollup after hitting him with the Urn. Surely there must have been more to it that that though?

• Moderators
There's a video on TVARK or somewhere like that which has an advert for Wrestlmania 1 on Sky Channel, and it'd make sense for there's footage of "Land of a thousand dances" on youtube off Sky Channel on youtube.

It wasn't an advert for Wrestlemania at all (serves my own for being posting pissed when I should be sleeping), but according to this photo they were showing Wrestling in the April of 1984, I'd imagine it'd have to be WWF on the Sky Channel, so is there any chance they would have shown the first Wrestlemania if they were already showing WWF wrestling?

sky_channel_schedule1984.jpg

• Paid Members
What/when was the blow off of the Hogan/Undertaker feud in late 91/early 92?

I remember seeing a match on one of the Hogan compilation tapes where he beat Taker with a rollup after hitting him with the Urn. Surely there must have been more to it that that though?

I think the legit end to that feud was Hogan eliminating him from the Royal Rumble. Hogan made it a point in interviews before the Rumble that he wanted to stop Taker winning the Rumble before he went on to win it himself. After the Rumble, Undertaker turned face and Hogan went on to feud with Sid Justice. Undertaker was a side note looking back. Tunney and Flair were bigger parts of that story than the Undertaker was.