The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
Would it upset you if I told you I hated Deadpool Scotty?

Superman Red Son is a must too read I think.

Not at all, sir. I completely understand the hatred out there for Deadpool. It's essentially Van Wilder or Stifler crossed with a Hong Kong action flick for the most part...but better than Bulletproof Monk.

I go way back to 1999 with Deadpool. My mate got a comic coz he saw Wolverine on the cover but said it was shit, and gave it to me. I saw Deadpool 'shoryuken' Kitty Pride and fell in love with the chap from then on in.

I've been meaning to read Red Son for the last few years. Must go onto ebay and get that now while it's in my head.

• Paid Members
Watchmen

Dark Knight Returns

Long Halloween

Batman Year One

Daredevil Born Again

They are the ones that jump out off the top of my head that I would consider stone cold classics.

The Killing Joke's got to be on that list too.

I did consider Killing Joke but as important as it is IMO its not quite as good as my list. A bit like A Death in the Family (except way better). To be fair I've only read it the once. Should give it another go soon.

• Paid Members
It's more pop-culture references, the strange pitch black slapstick humour, self awareness, fourth wall breaking and general insanity, that seem to do it for me.

I just find (found) it to be a very cleverly written comic. Not so much these days, as Daniel Way (who can have his moments on occasion) tries way too hard. Definitely his Joe Kelly and Fabien Nicieza runs, though.

The only writer who has come close to recapturing the aforementioned golden age is Victor Gischler.

Cheers. What

• Paid Members
Liefeld just drew him though. Nicieza and Kelly brought the character to life.

I fucking don't like Liefeld. He's very full of himself...like that Ren & Stimpy dude. He's an arrogant cunt.

Except John Krickfalusi is amazing and Rob Liefeld is one of the least talented artists in comic history!

• Paid Members
Except John Krickfalusi is amazing and Rob Liefeld is one of the least talented artists in comic history!

Both are as you say, but I really wanted to knock Krickfalusi out, during the dvd intro to Naked Beach Frenzy.

On another note, I just ordered some Oink! Comics from Ebay. Can't fucking wait to get them!!!

• Paid Members
Favoured by Marvel fans or genuine newcomers?

Both, K-Pits. It's a fun read, and one of my fave comics to read when I'm under the weather. Don't mind the '43-59' in a series, nonsense. It's all begun and wrapped up in there, and it's just a good introduction to the humour and bedlam of the character.

If you want some really dark Deadpool, then 'Kills the Marvel Universe' is a good standalone. The Deadpool Max (Nut Job) series is a standalone, but essentially was shit, so I'd stay clear of that.

You could go for The Circle Chase and Sins of the Past also, which is pretty much the beginning of Deadpool and his first major stories.

I have to say though, with regards to Ennis' military fetish laced through his Punisher tales, I thoroughly enjoyed Born.

Must actually read Mother Russia again.