The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
I loved The Filth too as well as Invisibles, but I've not read much more Grant Morrisson stuff at all. A bit of Batman, but that's about it.

What else should I check out?

His X-Men run, definitely. It coincided with a relaunch, so if you read it in order, you shouldn't need too much pre-knowledge if you're not a fan.

Also, if you're feeling brave, Final Crisis. It's fucking MENTAL, but it's basically a love letter to Superman and Batman. Again, the more you read of his Batman run, the better it is as a whole.

52 (the weird weekly thing) isn't just him, but it's really good.

WE3 is the best one-shot he's done. It's absolutely heartbreaking and lovely. And uber-violent.

• Paid Members
If you like Preacher and want to try something else, I'd suggest Garth Ennis' run on Hellblazer. It was written at a similar time, and there's some really good stuff in there.

An utterly amazing and brilliant run. The only problem is that the final book of his run "Rake at the gates of hell" is a complete fucking bastard to get. It took me 6 months to get it for

How come it's so rare? I think I bought all the Ennis Hellblazer collections, but that would've been a good five or six years ago. The concept of walking into Forbidden Planet and coming out with seventy quids worth or more of comics is completely foreign to me now. I might buy Crossed #25 tomorrow if I see it in town, and that'd be my first comic purchase since Crossed 3D, which was my first in ages. I don't even know where any of my Hellblazer comics are anymore. I've half a mind to start digging them out and pop that one on Ebay for twenty quid, but there are mountains of shite all over the flat and I'd probably end up not finding them and then remember I got them from the library or something.

• Paid Members
How come it's so rare?

DC have been really weird with reprinting Hellblazer. They didn't collect it consecutively, but kept missing stuff out. Other parts were only released in the UK via Titan.

They have never printed Paul Jenkins' run, which was longer than Ennis'. I had to download that in order to read it, because I can't legally buy it from DC. It's insane.

They appear to have finally started collecting it in order, but I'll be shocked if they get past Ennis before giving up. It's a shame, because I ended up really liking Jenkins' run.

• Paid Members
How come it's so rare?

DC have been really weird with reprinting Hellblazer. They didn't collect it consecutively, but kept missing stuff out. Other parts were only released in the UK via Titan.

It's the same with Ennis' run on Punisher MAX. You can get all the volumes for normal price no problem but volume 7 "Widowmaker" was a complete pain for me to get at a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone else reading X-Men at the moment? I was sceptical with Brian Michael Bendis taking over, but it's been superb. Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men are my two first buys, right now.

Also, Superior Spider-Man has been a huge amount of fun. Basically, Doctor Octopus managed to swap bodies with Peter Parker before he died, and is vowing to be a better Spider-Man than Parker ever was. Parker's conscience is remaining, but Ock is trying to destroy it. It's stupid, but fun.

Anyone else reading X-Men at the moment? I was sceptical with Brian Michael Bendis taking over, but it's been superb. Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men are my two first buys, right now.

I'm planning on doing, but I need to read through Civil War, Age of X, Second Coming, Schism, AvsX and a few other before I get reading the current stuff.

I've recently picked up all the current issues of Harbinger and Bloodshot by Valiant Comics, which I'm enjoying

I'd really advise anyone who enjoys Batman or cop shows and so on to read Gotham Central, they have the whole series collected in four books now and it focuses on the Gotham Police Department and their battles against villains of Gotham with Batman taking a backseat and being a minor character. It is a great series with some amazing artwork and awesome stories.

As of what I'm reading now I am only really collecting Superior Spiderman as I can't afford to collect different issues of various series every month or every fortnight. I used to like Spiderman but never bought the issues, but once issue 700 of Amazing Spiderman came out I decided to jump into collecting as it was a good starting point with Superior Spiderman. One of my mates who has kept up with Amazing Spiderman for a while said he didn't have high hopes for it and expects it to be a shortish thing until Peter returns as Spiderman which you can sort of see beginning to happen now. It will be interesting to see how it happens now though with Doc Ock Spidey planning to do a Parkerectomy.

I had heard good things about Gothem Central. Is it something that a casual reader (I.e. Me) can pick up easily enough, or is there alot of backstory that I need to be familiar with first as to not find it confusing as to who everyone is

Yeah a casual reader could definetly get into it, there's no backstory or anything to it, it's obviously linked to Batman as it's in Gotham City but it wouldn't even matter if you didn't know who or what Batman was as he doesn't play a huge part in it anyway, it revolves around the Police Department. It does include villains from Batman but again it doesn't matter too much if you don't know who they are or about their backstories. It's pretty much a stand alone series collected in four books and it's brilliant too.