The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
Talk of writing and coms... this has reminded me..

Where's ChrisB at these days?

He's out and about, saw him on Wednesday - he's just been busy writing, finishing his second novel and also writing a new story serial for his blog.

I'm mostly lurking here these days. And yeah, it's probably safe to follow me again - the #youareold thing tickled me for a few days. I had people ready to kill me over that.

• Paid Members
Any Daredevil fans knocking about? To be honest the character had never interested me in the VERY little I'd read but I vaguely liked the Directors Cut of the Affleck movie. Finally read Frank Miller's Born Again after having had it on the pile for months. Bloody brilliant sums it up pretty well. Its made me an instant fan. Do any of you know continutity wise what graphic novel/tpb follows it? Its the first time I've been REALLY interested in reading a Marvel character since I quit reading Spiderman aged 13. I highly recommend Born Again.

DareDevil floundered a bit after Miller left. I didn't get into it until Kevin Smith's run, which wasn't bad at all. Following that, Brian Michael Bendis had a phenomenal run, which I really recommend.

• Paid Members
Any Daredevil fans knocking about? To be honest the character had never interested me in the VERY little I'd read but I vaguely liked the Directors Cut of the Affleck movie. Finally read Frank Miller's Born Again after having had it on the pile for months. Bloody brilliant sums it up pretty well. Its made me an instant fan. Do any of you know continutity wise what graphic novel/tpb follows it? Its the first time I've been REALLY interested in reading a Marvel character since I quit reading Spiderman aged 13. I highly recommend Born Again.

DareDevil floundered a bit after Miller left. I didn't get into it until Kevin Smith's run, which wasn't bad at all. Following that, Brian Michael Bendis had a phenomenal run, which I really recommend.

That's a real shame. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble now.

• Paid Members

Currently enjoying "Sleepless" by Adrian Tomine. Non-typical, independent writer/artist who doesn't do superheroes or fantasy - mainly short stories about individual situations in real life, looking at the human condition and the "micro-moments" one goes through in life.

Got into his work from reading "32 Stories", a beautifully-presented boxed collection of the first seven issues of "Optic Nerve", a comic he produced himself just with a photocopier when he was a teenager, and which features his earliest work. It's brilliantly done, as the publisher has simply re-produced those slim, paper editions almost identically, then boxed them in a charming brown cardboard matchbox-style box with the title printed on. The fascinating thing about those seven issues is the visible and gradual improvement in his artwork, and you can see his ideas and style coalescing into a distinctive and vivid aesthetic.

"Sleepless" is a bit after that, and his treatment of the stories within tend to be a bit more intense and mature than the "32 Stories" stuff (although those were surprisingly mature when you consider he was only fifteen when he drew them). You get a feeling of actually being there or, at least, having tangibly experience such situations as the ones he places his characters in.

Either way, I strongly recommend the guy.

I'm finally working my way through my American Vampire collection. Worked my way through 1-18 along with the Survival of the Fittest mini-series in the past week or so. Hoping to get through 19-34 and the Lord of Nightmares mini-series as quick also. Enjoying it very much. Skinner Sweet is such a good character.

Also finally worked my way through all the Death of the Family issues and tie-in's, so I'm looking forward to Issue 17's release. Should be a belter.

I re-read some of my old 2000ad's recently and I'm after some Judge Dredd graphic novels that I don't have (Necropolis mainly) anyone know a decent place to get them relatively cheap? Don't have to be new

Can anyone throw out some general suggestions for Judge Dredd stuff? Its the next one on my list to tackle after I get through Watchmen and Sin City

• Paid Members

America is a good one, I like Judgement on gotham which is a crossover with Batman, it's fun.

Anything with Judge Death is cool but most of all I like anything drawn by Brian Bolland, the man is a god.

I like the 80s stuff most too.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Moderators

So I'm now all up to date with The Unwritten. It's my favourite thing I've read in ages and I'm really interested to read some other opinions on it.

Does anyone know where I can read some good discussion/essay/article type things about it? All I have found so far is some shittily written blog posts.

Got some Amazon vouchers for my birthday and thinking of picking up some DC graphic novels as most of my collection is Marvel.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Old, new, it's all good :)

I don't have much beyond a couple of older Batman ones - Nine Lives, The Killing Joke and Hush I think.. and I've read the best known Frank Miller stuff.

Oh, and someone gave me Superman: Earth One last year.

I re-read some of my old 2000ad's recently and I'm after some Judge Dredd graphic novels that I don't have (Necropolis mainly) anyone know a decent place to get them relatively cheap? Don't have to be new

Can anyone throw out some general suggestions for Judge Dredd stuff? Its the next one on my list to tackle after I get through Watchmen and Sin City

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen these but my local Waterstones has been selling these A5 books of classic Dredd series. I picked up The Dark Judges story which was really fun. I recommend that.

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen these but my local Waterstones has been selling these A5 books of classic Dredd series. I picked up The Dark Judges story which was really fun. I recommend that.

I have seen those, seen them in my local comic book shop too and online. I've heard that 'The Day The Law Died' is supposed to be pretty decent too