The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• 1 month later...

I picked up the first Minutemen issue of Before Watchmen yesterday... And it's actually really fucking good. I was dead against the idea when it initially came up, but got a little interested when they announced who was working on them. If you're on the fence, give this one a go.

I just finished The Complete Maus. I thought that it was a fantastic way of telling a survivor's story. I'm now keen to pick up the accompaniment book "Meta Maus."

Had no idea about MetaMaus until you mentioned it there mate, so cheers for that. Maus is one of the best things I've ever read.

I just finished The Complete Maus. I thought that it was a fantastic way of telling a survivor's story. I'm now keen to pick up the accompaniment book "Meta Maus."

Had no idea about MetaMaus until you mentioned it there mate, so cheers for that. Maus is one of the best things I've ever read.

I too didn't know about it. Maus is amazing.

• Paid Members

I've been meaning to get into Maus for ages, I've only ever heard stellar things about it.

I've been off work this week and apart from feeling quite sick and really sorry for myself I've also finally managed to finish Preacher. Absolutely loved it, took me a little while to get into it due to the sometimes disjointed dialogue of the earlier installments, but the story is incredibly engrossing and the supporting characters are brilliant.

Starting The Boys now, I'm a big fan of Darick Robertson from his work on Transmetropolitan so this seems like its going to be the most readily accessible having just finished Preacher.

Anyone else loving scott snyders run on batman?, i really like the court of owls arc and great art by greg capullo.:)

Yeah. I actually only started reading comics when I discovered the DC Comics app on my iPhone, so I've been picking them all up digitally since the New 52, and hoping to build up a nice collection of TPB's of the older stuff in time, but yes, I agree, Batman at the minute has been really good. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo do excellent work together

Edited by pryko

• Paid Members
Lads who are into Batman, recommend me some Solomon Grundy stuff. And nothing that's just fanboy continuity-wank, where you have to have read an infinite number of crises and back-issues to know what's going on. I'm after standalone stuff.

Check out Starman - I think it's volume 3 or thereabouts. It's fairly standalone, and Starman is a fucking brilliant series anyway, which is pretty continuity-wank-free.

Basically, Starman is a classic superhero and is now old. His son reluctantly takes over. He begins, eventually, to interact with other characters, and you get a brilliantly sympathetic, tragic take on Solomon Grundy. And Batman is also in it.

• Paid Members

The latest part of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Century: 2009) is out, and it's fantastic. It's also causing controversy due to the revelation over who the long-built up literary antichrist is:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Harry Potter, who goes on a school killing spree, Columbine style, before killing someone with lightning bolts from his cock later in the story.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Alan Moore is fucking insane. In a brilliant kind of way.

Check out Starman - I think it's volume 3 or thereabouts. It's fairly standalone, and Starman is a fucking brilliant series anyway, which is pretty continuity-wank-free.

Basically, Starman is a classic superhero and is now old. His son reluctantly takes over. He begins, eventually, to interact with other characters, and you get a brilliantly sympathetic, tragic take on Solomon Grundy. And Batman is also in it.

Cheers, I'll have a look into it.

• Paid Members

I actually liked Infinity Inc.'s take on Grundy, even thought at series had gone beyond lame at that point. The finale was pretty cool

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Injustice Unlimited was a group of young villains, like Infinity Inc. was a band of young heroes - one of them hypnotized a good guy recreation of Grundy into using the "cyanide touch" of Mr. Bones to kill the Star Spangled Kid (or Skyman, which is a more sane, but less cheesily cool name). It was all surprisingly sad, for a bunch of lamers who sucked

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Off-topic from Solomon Grundy, but I'm re-reading Knightfall at the minute in anticipating to the upcoming Batman movie, and because Knightfall is perhaps my favourite Batman saga. Bought myself the new re-release from DC a few weeks ago:

BMKFv1_cvr_r2.jpg

Edited by Khemical

Off-topic from Solomon Grundy, but I'm re-reading Knightfall at the minute in anticipating to the upcoming Batman movie, and because Knightfall is perhaps my favourite Batman saga. Bought myself the new re-release from DC a few weeks ago:

BMKFv1_cvr_r2.jpg

I only just picked up the old versions not too long ago, but the new Knightfall Part 1 contains Part 1 of the Vengeance of Bane doesn't it? His backstory in prison and what not