The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

Completely off topic my Hitman graphic novel collection is coming on good. Just got For Tomorrow and it's an amazing book. Any book that can have such a poignant scene as the death of Tommy's father figure and have an elephant piss on Tommy's head is always going to be a winner.

Actually, that comes across a bit sarcastic. Truth is when I read that death scene there was a real tear in my eye. The dialouge was just tragically brilliant.

Well, isn't that the difference between TPBs and Graphic Novels in a nutshell? One is like a DVD boxset of a TV show and the other is a film?

No, though that'd be great. There is no difference between trade paperbacks and graphic novels. "Graphic novels" is just a name put on trade paperbacks to try and make them seem more legitimate. I'd love it if they did start distinguishing them as per your idea. But on the shelf, there's no real distinction between a standalone Iron Man book and Ultimate Iron Man #200-205 in the same way that feature films and TV boxsets have their own sections. Which means recommendations are often useless, because someone might say so-and-so is awesome, but they do so from a position of having collected it and read that character's stories since 1989. Whereas someone picking it up for the first time isn't going to give two shits about the bird who dies 22 pages in.

True, but at the same time when a large portion of your audience has been consistently reading every issue for years you can't just pander to the first timers and newbies. It's an ongoing series, that's what the collections are for.

Sure, but it holds the comics back. It's not like, for example, Lost where someone might go "season three is great, the bit where they hang around them fucking cages for a million years is awesome" and you can go back and get season one and two and you're up to speed to watch what people are raving about. Imagine if, to enjoy season three of Lost, you had to watch two Lost boxsets, season six of Seinfeld, the final episode of Early Edition, and four episodes from the penultimate season of Highlander. And all of those things had their own "to get this, you need to have watched ______" thing. With comics, it's like a cross between a spiderweb and an endless Russian doll. And didn't that approach, limiting the market to collectors and wayward folks who masturbate over continuity, have the industry pretty much on its arse until the films started propping it up?

Completely off topic my Hitman graphic novel collection is coming on good. Just got For Tomorrow and it's an amazing book. Any book that can have such a poignant scene as the death of Tommy's father figure and have an elephant piss on Tommy's head is always going to be a winner.

Actually, that comes across a bit sarcastic. Truth is when I read that death scene there was a real tear in my eye. The dialouge was just tragically brilliant.

Have they released all of Hitman in TPB form now? I remember when I was wanting to start reading it, I had to buy a big collection of individual issues on Ebay because there were only a few collections released. That was eight years ago, mind, but Hitman had been finished for a few years before that.

I think it's one of the most underrated comics, it pales in comparison to Preacher and probably suffers from running parallel to it.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Random question: but does any one know why characters such as say, Batman, have multiple titles out on a monthly basis? I would have thought with the reboot, they would have just poolde their efforts into one titular comic per character, rather than fragmenting into Batman, Gotham Knights and whatever else Batman has at the moment. That's what puts me off reading comics on a regular basis, and instead just picking up a graphic novel I can read from start to end.

Yeah, I really rate it. There have been 6 volumes of the TPB thus far and I just read the next volume will be out for August. Little more costly than some books (well, from where I've pciked them up anyway) but still a fantastic read.

My guess Khemical is because Batman sells. Why not have multiple titles if it makes you more money?

Edited by spotlightmagnet1

Random question: but does any one know why characters such as say, Batman, have multiple titles out on a monthly basis? I would have thought with the reboot, they would have just poolde their efforts into one titular comic per character, rather than fragmenting into Batman, Gotham Knights and whatever else Batman has at the moment. That's what puts me off reading comics on a regular basis, and instead just picking up a graphic novel I can read from start to end.

I agree and disagree with your point.

As pointed out, Batman sells. I currently purchase Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin and Batman: The Dark Knight. I think having all 4 is good, as is said, it sells. But it would be a lot better if the titles were all independent of one another, which when reading them all, I thought they were, but then with the Court of Owls arc, all 4 titles were linked together and used for the buildup, which in my opinion shouldn't be done

• Paid Members

As pointed out, Batman sells. I currently purchase Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin and Batman: The Dark Knight. I think having all 4 is good, as is said, it sells. But it would be a lot better if the titles were all independent of one another, which when reading them all, I thought they were, but then with the Court of Owls arc, all 4 titles were linked together and used for the buildup, which in my opinion shouldn't be done

So, normally do the four titles carry four different stories (occasional crossing over for big stories), or do they all happen in the same universe and the same time and tell different parts of the same story?

Comic book characters like Batman, or Spiderman, or Superman (the real transcendental, crossover characters) really only exist in the aether these days, like a foundation for embellishment.

The amount of titles, and different lineage the characters are often given, as good as makes one books Batman an entirely different character to that in another book.

I don't like it one little bit.

So, normally do the four titles carry four different stories (occasional crossing over for big stories), or do they all happen in the same universe and the same time and tell different parts of the same story?

I assumed that they were different storylines or at least different universes. For example, only Batman and Robin has Robin popping up in it, although Damian was shown in issue 1 of Batman, but then last month, as I said, all 4 crossed over for the Court of Owls story arc, although each was still written by it's usual writer and the art was by the usual artists, they just all linked in with Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Batman storyline. I'd much prefer it if all 4 were kept seperate

• Paid Members

This is why I fear getting into comics as a replacement for Wrestling. So many different arcs, confusing histories, new characters taking on the old heroes costume (like Batman I think). I'm a completest by nature, so it would likely cost me a small fortune too.

I subscribed to The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection, as I thought it was a fair place to dabble, and have the first 9 books of the series. Any recommendations from these to start with? Are they considered more 'kid friendly' or do they have a decent adult flavor?

1 The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home, Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2) #30-35

2 Uncanny X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Uncanny X-Men #129-137

3 Iron Man: Extremis, Iron Man (Volume 4) #1-6

4 The Ultimates: Super-Human, The Ultimates 1-6

5 The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom, The Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) #252, 256-259, 300 & Web Of Spider-Man #1

6 Thor: Reborn, Thor (Volume 3) #1-6

7 Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America (Volume 5) #8-9 and #11-14

8 The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams, The Incredible Hulk (Volume 1) #370-377

9 Wolverine: Wolverine, Wolverine #1-4

Edited by MichaelScarn

• Paid Members
This is why I fear getting into comics as a replacement for Wrestling. So many different arcs, confusing histories, new characters taking on the old heroes costume (like Batman I think). I'm a completest by nature, so it would likely cost me a small fortune too.

I subscribed to The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection, as I thought it was a fair place to dabble, and have the first 9 books of the series. Any recommendations from these to start with? Are they considered more 'kid friendly' or do they have a decent adult flavor?

1 The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home, Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2) #30-35

2 Uncanny X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Uncanny X-Men #129-137

3 Iron Man: Extremis, Iron Man (Volume 4) #1-6

4 The Ultimates: Super-Human, The Ultimates 1-6

5 The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom, The Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) #252, 256-259, 300 & Web Of Spider-Man #1

6 Thor: Reborn, Thor (Volume 3) #1-6

7 Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America (Volume 5) #8-9 and #11-14

8 The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams, The Incredible Hulk (Volume 1) #370-377

9 Wolverine: Wolverine, Wolverine #1-4

I'm subscribed to that too. I read Iron Man: Extremis the other day and enjoyed it; the art is phenomenal too. I think my next read will be the Ultimates.

Edited by Khemical

I'm the same. I've been purchasing all the Batman and Green Lantern comics since the start of the New 52, and now want to try and build up the back catalogue, but it's quite an expensive road to go down.

At present I'm only purchasing the Batman ones and it's taking time and money (and space). I'd like to be able to buy the TPB's in digital format. Would be miles easier

Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America (Volume 5) #8-9 and #11-14

You should really read the first Winter Soldier volume before reading the second volume, which this collects...

Which btw isnt Captain America (Volume 4) btw! But the trade collecting issues 1 - 7 of the 5th volume of Captain America comics!

Edited by Marc Ambush Solo

• Paid Members

Thanks for the tips all. Iron Man it is first then. I'll have to try and locate the winter soldier one.

The future installments are pencilled in as these for anyone interested, I guess DC will follow suit soon as the subscription numbers for this collection were x3 higher then planned, and its caused heavy dealys in getting issues out in time:

10 Astonishing X-Men: Gifted Astonishing X-Men #1-6

11 Captain Britain: A Crooked World Marvel Superheroes #387-388, The Daredevils #1-11, and The Mighty World Of Marvel (Vol. 2) #7-13

12 Avengers: Forever (Part 1) Avengers Forever #1-6

13 The Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt Web of Spider-Man #31-32, Amazing Spider-Man #293-294, and Spectacular Spider-Man #131-132

14 Captain America: The New Deal Captain America (Vol 4) #1-6

15 Marvels

16 Avengers: Disassembled

17 New X-Men: E is for Extinction

18 Secret War

19 Avengers: Forever (Part 2)

20 Daredevil: Born Again

21 She Hulk: Single Green Female

22 Marvel Zombies

23 The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk (Part 1)

24 Punisher: Welcome Back Frank Part 1

25 Ultimate Spider-Man: Power and Responsibility

26 Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars (Part 1)

27 The Mighty Thor: In Search of Gods

28 Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous

29 Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle

30 The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk (Part 2)

31 Captain America: The Chosen

32 New Avengers: Break Out

33 Spider-Man: Blue

34 New X-Men: Imperial

35 House of M

36 Wolverine: Origin

37 Fantastic Four: Unthinkable

38 Thor: The Last Viking

39 Civil War

40 Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars (Part 2)

41 Fantastic Four: Authoritative Action

42 Fallen Son: Death of Captain America

43 Punisher: Welcome Back Frank (Part 2)

44 The Ultimates: Homeland Security

45 Wolverine: Weapon X

46 1602

47 Daredevil: Guardian Devil

48 The Amazing Spider-Man: Revelations

49 Eternals

50 Black Panther: Who Is The Black Panther

51 World War Hulk

52 Fantastic Four: The End

53 Captain Britain and MI13: Vampire State

54 57 Wolverine: Old Man Logan

55 Secret Invasion