Best British Promotion of 2006

tiger_rick

The Best British Promotion of 2006?  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Tough choice between TXW and SAS.TXW appeals to the smark in me. In-jokes, superb technical wrestling and innovative hardcore spots. And Falcon almost dying on a regualr basis.SAS has a more traditional feel, but a modern version of it. It's family orientated, but not so panto/Dixon that it puts off the "smarter" wrestling fan. The production of the whole show is of a high quality, and there is a fine aray of talent used.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

In terms of British wrestling, 2006 saw me attend shows from 1PW, 3CW, GPW, FSW, FWA, IPW:UK, RQW, LDN, Dropkixx, XS:W and probably one or two others, and from all that, my vote goes to....

...IPW:UK.

2006 was the first time I'd seen anything from IPW:UK, despite people telling me for the past year and a bit that I really should check them out. Since then, with the exception of their show in Leigh-on-Sea, I've been travelling down from the north-east to every single one of their shows since.

IPW:UK, for me, features the strongest booking and storylines on the UK circuit, and has created a series of characters, feuds, matches and rivalries that really grip you, meaning you simply have to see the next show. By creating a connection between product and punter, they make you care about what you are seeing, and you enjoy it all the more. Also, in something that you can't say about many wrestling promotions, everything makes sense.

The point I have been making all year is that even though IPW:UK fly in and use some of the foreign talent, I find that it is their own regular stars that keep drawing me, and the ~300 other followers, back again and again. Some of the most limited and basic wrestlers going have become super-popular favourites due to the way they are presented and booked.

They seem to be the one promotion that has attracted a loyal and devoted following made up of both local casuals and the internet smarts, and both sets of fans sit side-by-side enjoying the product exactly the same on the same level. It's unique.

The atmosphere is also incredibly fun, provoking a perfomer-audience interaction like few others.

I was pleased to have discovered IPW:UK in 2006, and while I have seen good stuff (and some not so good stuff) from plenty of other UK organisations during the past annum, for me nothing came close to matching IPW:UK in terms of a fan getting their money's worth on the night, and being desperate to shell out again next month for more of the same.

So that's what GPW stands for..? That's a really stupid name.

A little background info. Basically the name came about because Lee Butler initally planned on training people from his own garage and even though we did end up training in a local leisure centre (though later that month we moved into a unit on an industrial estate that was sorta like a garage what with the door that was kinda like a garage door what with you having to press a button top get it up and down) the name stuck. I'm sure if Lee had put a bit more thought into it, GPW would have a different name but thats Lee for you lol

IPW-UK for me, based primarily on the fact that I've seen more of their shows than anyone else. If, however, I was basing this primarily on what I'd seen on TV shows of the respective promotions, I'd probably hand it to LDN, because IPW-UK TV was 'kin awful, and 1PW was no better. RQW-TV thus far is a little bit of style over substance, but not to a huge extent...

"A gold medal is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it."

Honorable mention has to go to Mark Sloan, who put out a plethora of shows in 2006, almost one a week, and who will run his final ever show on January 27th in Portsmouth. And of course to All Star, Britain's true #1 promotion and a leading light to any promoters who have aspirations to make promoting their full-time occupation.

This great award, which it looks like we wont succesfully defend having been voted best of 2005, does proove one thing though - that although IPW:UK has excellent reach, we have *AT LEAST* 73 more wrestling fans that we need to try and attract to shows in 2007 who clearly haven't seen us yet :D. And of course a thank you to Hat Guy for an awesome summation of IPW:UK.

PS, new Martin Stone shoot interview available here - and for all people who haven't seen IPW or LDN before (or even who have!), two special bonus matches, Stone vs. Leroy Kincaide in IPW:UK and never before released, Stone vs. Ross Jordan from LDN.

Stone talks about a number of Brit promotions in it, including many on this list.

Unless they're like me and are judging based on what they've seen, and still think IPW:UK isn't the best fed on there.Just saying...

Unless they're like me and are judging based on what they've seen, and still think IPW:UK isn't the best fed on there.Just saying...

Hehe. Don't worry, what i said was mainly tongue in cheek. Obviously i'm going to think we're the best, or i should stop promoting now.Then again, i think Andy Quildan's a good commentator, so what do i know?! :D

good luck to bagga and LDN is nice for WAW to be on the board. My feeling for us all is, winners or loses, our job is to make sure the voting gets in its thousands rather than a few hundred, then we will know we are doing a good job.

Wouldn't it better to get thousands into a venue rather than thousands to vote for you? :) Edited by Vamp