Best British Promotion of 2006

tiger_rick

The Best British Promotion of 2006?  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I echo Herbie's sentiments re LDN. GPW are a really good North West promotion although the name is reminiscent of a backyard fed.

• Paid Members

TXW hands down. I know Im slightly biased, but I viewed the first two shows as a fan, and it realy is something special. As well as stellar matches from some of the best talent in the country, it has one of the best atmospheres Ive ever encountered at a wrestling show. Im not sure if its the relaxation of sitting down at your table with a nice cool (and cheap) beer to watch great wrestling at your leisure, the amount of hilarious comedy wrestling (and lots of UKFF 'in-jokes', where else could you see a whole spot centred around the phrase 'It's still real to me dammit!') or just the way the crowd is so close and so involved in the matches that it almost seems like they're part of the roster. There's definately big things in store for them next year.

Worst promotion ever? I'm assuming that you're ignoring the fact that they have a profitable business model and have shown steady growth throughout 2006. From what TV output I've seen they seem a pretty well booked promotion also.

• Moderators

TXW hands down. I know Im slightly biased, but I viewed the first two shows as a fan, and it realy is something special. As well as stellar matches from some of the best talent in the country, it has one of the best atmospheres Ive ever encountered at a wrestling show. Im not sure if its the relaxation of sitting down at your table with a nice cool (and cheap) beer to watch great wrestling at your leisure, the amount of hilarious comedy wrestling (and lots of UKFF 'in-jokes', where else could you see a whole spot centred around the phrase 'It's still real to me dammit!') or just the way the crowd is so close and so involved in the matches that it almost seems like they're part of the roster. There's definately big things in store for them next year.

Sorry, but that just sounds simply horrible... Edited by Who has called me Hage?

• Paid Members

where else could you see a whole spot centred around the phrase 'It's still real to me dammit!'

Didn't SAS have a show with a similar smarky name?I've never even heard of TXW. If they're the best in the UK, can you give us a list of what makes them BETTER than the other promotions listed? match quality? attendance? profitability? production? recognition?

I know Im slightly biased

No shit.

• Paid Members

where else could you see a whole spot centred around the phrase 'It's still real to me dammit!'

Didn't SAS have a show with a similar smarky name?I've never even heard of TXW. If they're the best in the UK, can you give us a list of what makes them BETTER than the other promotions listed? match quality? attendance? profitability? production? recognition?

I know Im slightly biased

No shit.
Ok, thats a fair challenge, I probably did come off as a bit of a fanboy. It's still a reasonably new promotion, but it seems to have garnered a pretty solid fanbase already. The match quality is excellent, and theres barely a low point on the cards. Some of the best matches Ive seen all year have happened there. The talent there is comprised of some of the top stars of LPW, Hammerlock, 3CW, SWA & LDN. Some notable matches have been the brutal hardcore match on the debut show pitting Majik vs Devilman and Dragon Aisu vs Jon Ryan, which was one of the stiffest, most brutal matches Ive witnessed live, which culminated in Aisu setting his hand on fire to chop Ryan (and the next show Conscience gave Aisu a taste of his own medicine by setting his foot on fire before delivering a superkick). Add to that the high flying, suicidal antics of Jimmy Havok, the technical brilliance of workers like Zach Sabre Jr & Stiro, the incomparable comedy of Omer Ibrahim & Los Pervitos, the downright viciousness of people like Jon Ryan, JeXodus and Conscience, as well as live music, and you get what is, in my opinion, one of the most entertaining promotions of the year.As far as attendence and profitablity, Im not privy to that sort of information, but attendence has been realy good so far for a Midlands promotion, and Im fair confident they're not running at a loss.As for recognision look for some of the threads on their shows to see the sort of fan reaction to the product, and listen to the sort of reaction TXW got at the recent U-23 tournament. It may not be the type of thing for everyone, but it's exactly what Ive been looking for in a promotion for a long time, I'd liken it to a more hardcore PWG. I probably pointed out the more smarky parts of the comedy, just because thats what popped me more, but as people like Freaky Jason, Leicestern Lantern & Dave Beaste, it realy is some of the funniest stuff outside of a professional comedy club, and some matches you'll laugh so hard it'll hurt (especialy if its Omer wrestling).As for being biased, I admitted I was, but to be honest, I was saying this sort of thing about their shows before I appeared on their roster, and the shows Im commenting on are ones I viewed as a fan. If I was truely biased I would have nominated all the promotions I work for, or the ones I work for the most, but I picked Triple X Wrestling because I realy do beleive it's a strong candidate for Promotion Of The Year, and the votings starting to reflect that, so they must be doing something right.Hopefully that was bit more informative, if you have any other questions just ask, or check the website in my sig. :)

• Moderators

I'm somewhat surprised that IPW aren't running away with it once again...I can't really comment on LDN, though. All I've seen of them was that DVD from Fighting Spirit... that totally stank, but I'm guessing they've done better... and I've yet to see any British Wrestling that comes across anywhere near as good on DVD/TV as it does live.