Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the shits something fierce. I started feeling off-kilter whilst drinking water at work on Saturday, felt rotten most of yesterday, and this morning awoke with the need to do a muddy piss out of my bum bum. It wouldn't be the water cooler at work responsible, would it? It would've been something I drank/ate (or a bug I caught) before that?

I've got the shits something fierce. I started feeling off-kilter whilst drinking water at work on Saturday, felt rotten most of yesterday, and this morning awoke with the need to do a muddy piss out of my bum bum. It wouldn't be the water cooler at work responsible, would it? It would've been something I drank/ate (or a bug I caught) before that?

Unlikely to be the water cooler, unless everyone else that drank from it is the same. Most gastroenteritis bugs take 24-76 hours before you start farting minestrone, so your culprit is probably Thursday/Friday. Hope you feel better soon.

Going for a bit of a different tact on a "What should I do?" question for you lot with a current puzzler going on.

If I like-but-not-love both jobs in question, and the commute is virtually identical, give me some reasons why I wouldn't take an 8 grand pay rise to move from my current one to another one. I basically have this actual decision to make as I've been offered it outright (He's an old contact, I've not applied for the job).

Loyalty to your current employers is the only reason I can think of, which begs the question - how loyal are they to you? If they're the sort of employer that'll push you out of the door with an apologetic shrug the next time they need to cut costs, then I'd take the job with the better salary.

I do what I do (as opposed to working in banking or whatever) because I love what I do. Within that field though, the person who offers me the most money is usually going to get me. It IS a fucking job, after all.

• Moderators
Going for a bit of a different tact on a "What should I do?" question for you lot with a current puzzler going on.

If I like-but-not-love both jobs in question, and the commute is virtually identical, give me some reasons why I wouldn't take an 8 grand pay rise to move from my current one to another one. I basically have this actual decision to make as I've been offered it outright (He's an old contact, I've not applied for the job).

Quality of the work environment is a big one for me. I could make an easy 10 grand extra somewhere else, but my company is pretty chilled out. I work essentially whenever I feel like it, normally do a 40 hour work week and don't get too much hassle either.

Working somewhere else might get me more money, but I'd probably also have to start doing the dreaded "crunchtime" and spend less time fucking around.

• Paid Members

Would your current company match it to keep you? Or at least make a gesture? One of the few decent pay rises I've had came when I found another job and threatened to leave.

Thanks for the input. I purposely left a lot of detail out because I was genuinely interested in the responses, and I didn't want to cloud it with the other (minor) details I have to consider.

Long story short, I think I'm going to turn it down. I'm pretty happy in my job, and I spent a long time looking just for that. I'm not well paid but I make a living and me and the wife get by, and I've got shitloads of time to make more money - maybe here rather than having to move jobs. My managers are great, my colleagues are terrific and for the most part the work is interesting enough to see you through the day (ignoring the fact I'm at work as I post this!)

So those, apparently, are reasons not to take an 8 grand payrise.

In that case, Newy, go to your current employers, tell them about the job offer and suck your teeth a bit, see if they'll give you a pay rise - suggest halfway to the salary the other people are offering. That'll seem like you're trying to do the right thing.

• Awards Moderator

My laptop blew up yesterday. It wasn't the worst thing in the world to happen as it was past its best but now I have a new one I'm struggling to transfer the content of my iPhone back to iTunes. Am I being a megaspaz or is it intentionally this hard to copy the content from the device to the software?

Archived