Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Any sales superstars in the house? Is there a magic word I can use that compels people to buy? I'm on the precipice of closing big deals at work but I just can't seem to close them. It's always call me in a few months or blah blah blah budget bullshit. I had to throw all kinds of shit at one guy to get him to agree to a £950 deal, which is worthless to me because I either get my commission or my basic, whichever is higher, and my basic is higher than 20% of £950.

• Paid Members

Trust me, Riot, I wish I knew that sort of thing too. I've been in my current job for over half a year now, and whilst I don't hate it, I don't like it either, mainly because it's a sales job and I'm not a natural salesman with the gift of the gab. I'd be a lot happier if I had that ability to close.

When I started, everyone told me to watch Glengarry Glen Ross. I did, but I only found it entertaining, rather than enlightening.

Still, this scene is great:

Blimey, Glengarry Glen Ross is the total opposite of how to sell, no matter how great the film is. Anybody saying otherwise is talking shit. It's about being smart, having patience, building up relationships with your customers, biding your time and following up on those slow-burning leads.

You learnt the secret of silence yet, Riot? It's one of the biggest advantages you'll ever have. Drop that hook and shut the fuck up. It's cliched but it works. 

Also, when you're about to close, never ask them questions which they can answer yes or no to - they'll say no 95% of the time, regardless of how golden your pitch was. Never say "That's great, shall we go ahead with it now?" They'll answer No, almost every time.

Instead, say "Great, would you like me to get that sent to you today or does Wednesday work better for you?"

Let people get a few No's in early in your conversation. People seem to be programmed to say no. Let them use their no's up early on. Not 100% sure it actually works but I've convinced myself it does.

Don't abruptly get to the close of the sale. I know you want to. It's the money shot and you want to shoot your muck, either as a climax or because you're just waiting for them to say no and you can get onto the next call. Build to it.

Starting at the beginning of the call, try and give people a bullshit reason as to why you've called them in the first place. Not just a "we're calling local businesses in the area". Google them and see what you can come up with.

Rapport building goes without saying. It's the foundation of a good sale. You're their best friend. You want them to remember your birthday.

Oh, I've just remembered a great personal anecdote from the other side of the coin:

(True story) A family member, we'll call A, recently had a call from a local builder who was carrying out some work on a neighbour's house. The builder knocked on A's house and politely asked if they'd be interested in having a quote doing for some fascia/window work. A said "Yeah, sure." A week or so later and the most stereotypical salesman, straight from the 80's with a new Merc and briefcase rolled up to A's house.

A's slightly caught off guard with this, as they assumed the builder himself would be calling round. Anyway, the salesman proceeds to be the most obnoxious, overbearing, rude and ignorant salesman imaginable. Telling A they're stupid for not seeing how good a quote they were offering; offering to slash the price by 50% - why quote such a high price in the first place?; telling A they were stupid for not being able to see what was obviously a good deal; asking A how much money they had in the bank; and saying they'd tear the contract up if A signed there and then.

A told them to fuck off, pretty much.

Anyway, the point of the story is that A was later talking to me about a different local builder, who had himself built up a multi-million £ glazing/conservatory company from the ground up. A said how they and everyone they knew much preferred the other builder because he didn't use sales tactics when he came to give quotes, he was just friendly and you could have a cuppa with him.

I know what they mean but selling is exactly what he'd been doing - he'd built up his multi-million £ business by being the salesman for his own product.

Moral of the story - when sales is done right, people don't even know they're being sold to.

• Paid Members

Bill, the leads are shite. But I'm reluctant to blame the leads. The marketing we're offering *is* something most of the companies I speak with would likely have some interest in, but it's all completely cold. I'm on LinkedIn trying to find the names of managing directors and CEOs because I need to speak with someone who can actually make a fucking decision and not have to run it by a committee of 50 people before it can be signed off. Of course trying to get through to people at that level brings all the fun of gatekeepers.

Thing with GGR is, I'm not really looking to ram things down throats. I'm trying to build a pipeline. 70% of the business other, established guys get it repeat business. It's just trying to build a client list and hit them up every few months.

All good stuff there, Steak. Patience is tricky because, in real life, there is no way I'm selling this marketing solution in a single cold call (well, I've seen it happen, but it's rare.) So you're looking at probably 2-3 calls minimum before you close something. But my room needs to be bringing in 25k a week minimum, and I don't like to feel like I'm not pulling my weight.

That being said, I feel pretty secure. Even though I haven't done a lot of business as yet, the MD and sales manager seem pretty happy with me, since I'm not scared of picking up the phone and actually pitching and I have a good pitch. It's, well, the closing. I've got three offers out for a call back tomorrow, be nice if I can close one or two of those tomorrow in time for my commission cheque at 4pm.

The key is what are you offering that is different to everyone else? Then you show that you're offering a value added solution that can benefit THEM, not you. Put yourself in their shoes, how will it help their business and INCREASE revenue, productivity etc. Hook them in with something that they cannot live without. Put the fear of God into them that they can't do without what you're selling.

But yeah echo the above. I do pretty well in my role (sales) but I'm not a natural sales person, but I'm consultative and listen to what they need. Then match that back to them. It's not rocket science. Good luck bro!

Bill, the leads are shite. But I'm reluctant to blame the leads. The marketing we're offering *is* something most of the companies I speak with would likely have some interest in, but it's all completely cold. I'm on LinkedIn trying to find the names of managing directors and CEOs because I need to speak with someone who can actually make a fucking decision and not have to run it by a committee of 50 people before it can be signed off.

This could be part of your problem. Senior decision makers have gate keepers for a reason - they're busy people with important jobs to do and don't want to be bothered by salesmen. If something is of benefit to their business they will often expect their subject matter expert to have looked into it, done any due diligence *ie costs), before putting it to them for some level of approval. Although these 'committees' are irritating they exist for a reason.

• Paid Members

I'm personally happy to pitch to the one below the one, so to speak, and let them run it by whoever but my sales manager has a real problem with it. Basically, any time an offer goes out to, say, a marketing manager who needs an MD or similar to sign it off, and it doesn't get signed off, he says I'm pitching to the wrong person and if I'd spoken with the more senior person, it would have sold.

• Paid Members

I used to get cold calls selling products and services to the MD.

If they didn't pitch to me first they had no chance. He would get 10 or 12 a day. I was there to make sure he got the 1 or 2 a week would consider or be interested in for the general market.

Off topic a bit but I used to get cold called at home by an Essex oven cleaning business loads.

I got hold of their number and drove them potty.

• Paid Members

Well, I personally haven't seen him sell anything but since I'm new here I kind of have to follow what he says. As far as why I'm doing it, yeah it fits in with uni and it pays weekly and the dudes in the office are all pretty cool. Don't know how long I'll be here though. Full time hours are already making it hard for me to study.

Archived