Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

iTunes-related question. I have my iPod open in iTunes right, and I can play all the music that's on it through the program. However I can't take the music and put it into a folder. I want to do that or merge it with my iTunes. How do I do this? I'm afraid to press "sync" lest it erase the iPod completely.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

This used to work for me, but Apple may have changed things up in the last few years so apologies if it doesn't do the trick:

If you've got your iPod plugged in to your PC/laptop, then go to your explorer and navigate to it. If you ensure that all hidden folders are shown (folder and search options > view > show hidden files etc.), you'll be able to see a folder which contains a load of subfolders (usually named 1-49). You can copy all of those files to your desktop, My Music, or wherever, to back them up.

Just add them to your iTunes and you'll have the songs merged with the existing library.

• Awards Moderator
That's the weird thing. Unlike any other usb connected device, it's not showing up in my computer independent of iTunes.

Fucking Apple. As daft as it sounds, have you tried just copying every song on your iPod through the iTunes screen and then pasting them in to a new explorer folder? The track names may all go to shit, but when you re-import them they'll tidy themselves up.

When you say "through the iTunes screen" can you elaborate? I can't seem to drag a single file from the iTunes to say, the desktop or even into any sections of iTunes itself. It's like they're read-only files or something. Fucking Apple. :(

• Awards Moderator

When you're in iTunes viewing the playlist showing all the songs on your iPod, just select them all and copy them. Go to a new explorer folder and right click > paste (for some reason, Ctrl +V didn't work). I've just tried it in the latest iTunes version and it seemed to work okay.

EDIT: Just tried it with my old iPod and it didn't work. Christ knows what those fuckers have done with their updates.

• Paid Members
Can someone educate me on the history of Brian Wilson off of The Beach Boys please. Poor fella looked lost on Jooles Holland just now.

He was on Jooles Holland!?!? Shit I missed it. Brian Wilson is one of the greats, Brian's wiki. Musical genius who has got himself through a whole lot of crap and is somehow still going. Thoroughly in love with him, he's my weird crush.

tumblr_lgvqixnJQl1qg49moo1_400.jpg

Probably still would to.

I got problems with my Itunes....where my iphone connected to the old itunes on my old PC I don't want to sync with the current itunes incase I lose all my songs.

Is there a away around this? Don't want to chance it as something similar happened many years ago.

Any help would be great or a pointer towards any programmes that can take songs from my phone onto my mac, I got things like apps as well that I could do without losing.

Can someone educate me on the history of Brian Wilson off of The Beach Boys please. Poor fella looked lost on Jooles Holland just now.

He was on Jooles Holland!?!? Shit I missed it. Brian Wilson is one of the greats, Brian's wiki. Musical genius who has got himself through a whole lot of crap and is somehow still going. Thoroughly in love with him, he's my weird crush.

Probably still would to.

I saw him on The One Show last night - he was playing his piano and promoting his new album, but the woman presenter was so blatantly ignoring his answers so she could ask the next question on her list, so he just gave up on it. Short sharp yes and no answers, and he couldn't even be drawn into plugging his tour. It was great. It will still be on the iPlayer I'd guess.

• Paid Members

Probably still would to.

I saw him on The One Show last night - he was playing his piano and promoting his new album, but the woman presenter was so blatantly ignoring his answers so she could ask the next question on her list, so he just gave up on it. Short sharp yes and no answers, and he couldn't even be drawn into plugging his tour. It was great. It will still be on the iPlayer I'd guess.

She's like it with everyone she interviews :( Complete waste of time people going on there.

• Paid Members

I remember using a program to get music off my ipod before when I had a computer failure last year the program was recommend here for someone else

http://www.ukff.com/lofiversion/index.php/t117434.html

here is a link to the program recommend hopeful it will help you.

http://www.getsharepod.com/

Archived