Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

As for ROH... yeah, stick a fork in it, it's done. They've been on the decline ever since Sapolsky left and now, at a time when they genuinely need him (as far as I'm aware there's never been a problem with his WWNLive iPPVs) they still won't bring him in because of the issue that exists between them. Say what you like about Gabe, and for the record I think EVOLVE is the dullest wrestling product ever conceived, but the company worked better underneath him because he knew exactly what it was - a third placed, somewhat niche, large indie fed which was never going to get any bigger without running into problems.

Gabe was never the best booker, but I'd love it if he got the book back in ROH. At least he kept things consistantly watchable, not dull and sometimes absolutely brilliant. I don't think I've seen a properly top notch show from ROH for a long time. Pretty sure Adam Pearce put on a couple of belters, but that was definately where the decline started as far as quality of shows goes.

• Paid Members
What's the matter with everyone on here at the moment, is there an approaching meteor that I've not been informed of?

In all fairness, both you and Ian came across as desperately trying to be cool with your 'Burnley Championship Wrestling' and 'Preston Pro Wrestling' references.

I wrote it wearing sunglasses and a leather jacket as well.

• Paid Members

Interestingly, they interview Cornette on this weeks Live Audio Wrestling. They don't go as far as asking him why Roh is so shit but they do ask about Gabe and Cornette says the new ownership have made offers for a working arrangement with Evolve as well as an offer for Gabe to be at the last Anniversary show but he isn't interested and Gabe had given ''plenty of reasons'' why it was a bad idea.

Wouldnt surprise me if Cornette is working and there really will be a programme at some point, but thought it was worth posting...

• Paid Members

Gabe is socially awkward and hasn't got any decent delivery when saying "hello". Imagine if he and Cornette worked an angle? Cornette would bury him into the ground in under 3 words. Whatever you think of Cornette, he's a world class promo and if he worked an angle with Sapolsky, it would be hilariously bad for Gabe.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

And Corny's no longer the head ROH booker. Via PWInsider:

Hunter "Delirious" Johnson has taken over as the head of Ring of Honor's creative direction effective immediately. The ROH locker room was informed on Saturday at the promotion's Rahway, NJ debut.

Jim Cornette and ROH came to a mutual decision on the change I am told. Cornette will remain with the company in a backstage role and will assist Johnson as well as working on production and logistics.

Cornette will be written out of ROH storylines with an angle where he was attacked backstage by an irate Jay Lethal in the fallout of the no contest with Kevin Steen in Rahway. ROH will be running stories on their website to explain the changes with Cornette's exit from his authority figure role.

Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members
Gabe is socially awkward and hasn't got any decent delivery when saying "hello". Imagine if he and Cornette worked an angle? Cornette would bury him into the ground in under 3 words. Whatever you think of Cornette, he's a world class promo and if he worked an angle with Sapolsky, it would be hilariously bad for Gabe.

I think they were saying they only wanted him on camera to shake Cary's hand and acknowledge the crowd at the Anniversary show according to Cornette. What I meant by it being an angle, was perhaps Gabe "turning it down" is some kind of foundation for a ROH vs Evolve angle with the wrestlers, which seems a more realistic proposition. Maybe you'd get Gabe chiming in in blogs or something more in his comfort zone.

Or maybe Gabe just really wasn't interested, which is likely.

Edited by Benno

The article also talks wistfully about past ROH talent that have moved on. That includes Samoa Joe to TNA, CM Punk and Bryan Danielson to WWE, Nigel McGuinness to retirement (and our announce desk), and Austin Aries (having been let go in 2010 for refusing to stop publicly berating the previous ownership and office, it

To be fair i don't think the booking problems were all down to Cornette, Sinclair fucked it up. ROH was on a roll going into Best In The World 2011, Then Sinclair brought the company and there was hardly any shows. All the storylines had to be reset, The ANX/Briscoes feud had its blowoff match but they carried it on on TV. Im still a fan of the product myself, I do like there weekly TV programme. I do get what people get mad about with the bigger names like Rhino, Matt Hardy and such coming in. But Sinclair must realise that people like The Young Bucks and TJ Perkins don't draw. I really wish someone would just buy ROH off Sinclair and go back to the Original format, As the biggest indy fed and not try to be anything more then that.