Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I have had £50 on a GGG stoppage at any point during the fight & am thinking in the latter part of the contest.

Loving the heel/babyface dynamic. GGG won their last encounter IMHO (which robbed Golovkin of his 100% record) , compound that with "contaminated meat" & a heated weigh in, equates to an angry knockout merchant hellbent on revenge! 😈

• Paid Members
On 9/13/2018 at 9:23 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Edit - oh yeah, David Price vs Sergey Kuzmin is back on for the AJ-Povetkin undercard. Hearn confirmed it in an IFL interview. Price's October fight fell through. There's one more fight for Wembley to be announced tomorrow according to Hearn, at light heavyweight apparently. Any ideas? 

Eddie had planned to announce Sam Eggington/Brandon Rios last weekend but Eggington got walloped. That would have been great.

• Paid Members

Yeah I saw that. There was also talk of Rios fighting Josh Kelly on the card at one point but nothing came of that. 

The Matchroom site is listing light heavyweight Dana Remezan for the undercard now for a 4 rounder but no opponent yet. So that's the LHW fight he was on about. 

Card looks like this now; 

Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin - 12 Rounds. IBF, WBA Super, WBO & IBO World Heavyweight Championship

Luke Campbell vs Yvan Mendy 2 - 12 Rounds. WBC Lightweight Title Final Eliminator

Matty Askin vs Lawrence Okolie - 12 Rounds. British Cruiserweight Championship 

Sergey Kuzmin vs David Price - 10 Rounds. WBA Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship 

Shakhram Giyasov vs Julio Laguna - 6 Rounds. Welterweight Contest 

Dana Remezan vs TBA - 4 Rounds. Light Heavyweight Contest

• Paid Members

RzuJsg.jpg

The timing of this definitely seems like he's trying to steal the spotlight from GGG and Canelo. But I completely dismissed the possibility of the Floyd vs Conor fight ever happening and it did so I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. And the Pacquiao fight is probably a lot more straight forward to make right now. Logically it's an easier fight for Floyd than it was the first time in 2015 and for Manny it's the biggest possibly payday out there, a huge earner at the end of his career plus he gets another crack at Mayweather. Fuck it, if it happens I'm in. 

How insane is the last 3rd of 2018 going to be if this fight comes off as well? 

Golovkin vs Canelo 2 

Joshua vs Povetkin 

Saunders vs Andrade 

Groves vs Smith

Bellew vs Usyk 

Lomachenko vs Pedraza

Frampton vs Warrington 

Khan vs Brook (maybe? Yeah probably not) 

Wilder vs Fury (maybe?) 

Mayweather vs Pacquiao 2 (maybe?) 

And a shitload more I'm forgetting without checking. Fuck, there's Tete's fight, Davies vs Catterall and Inoue vs Payano somewhere in there, plus Crawford, Rungvisai, Jacobs vs Derevyanchenko...fuck! Every time I think I'm done I remember another one. I've never known a more rammed boxing schedule to close out a year as this one. Another Mayweather comeback and rematch with Pacquiao will just make it that more ridiculous. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin - 12 Rounds. IBF, WBA Super, WBO & IBO World Heavyweight Championship

Luke Campbell vs Yvan Mendy 2 - 12 Rounds. WBC Lightweight Title Final Eliminator

Matty Askin vs Lawrence Okolie - 12 Rounds. British Cruiserweight Championship 

Sergey Kuzmin vs David Price - 10 Rounds. WBA Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship 

Shakhram Giyasov vs Julio Laguna - 6 Rounds. Welterweight Contest 

Dana Remezan vs TBA - 4 Rounds. Light Heavyweight Contest

I aint at all unhappy with that. Rios/Eggington would have been great but i think 4 10/12 round fights is enough, if all go the distance you are looking at a 4 hour stretch there. 

Askin/Okolie and Campbell/Mendy are both quality fights, and ill always tune in for a David Price fight.

• Paid Members

What a fuck of a show that was. This was right up there with the Whyte vs Parker show in July for me in terms of best cards of the year. Two of my personal favourite and most enjoyable boxing shows in recent memory. Three big stoppages and then a classic between Canelo and GGG. Loved every second of it. 

KJnqH2.jpg

Canelo vs Golovkin 2 lived up to my expectations and then some. I had it for GGG as well though. It was a close and competitive fight throughout but in a fight with no knockdowns, no 10-8s, I'm struggling to see where Canelo won 7 rounds. As soon as it went to the cards though I expected some controversy. When the first score was read out as a draw I thought 'here we go again', and by the time I heard that the other two judges had a winner by majority decision, I was fully expecting a Canelo win, even though I strongly felt like Golovkin won. It's mad how your expectations are shaped to expect this type of thing in boxing. If you fight Canelo in Vegas, and you go to the cards, you've lost. Even if you've won. 

oS0WsQ.jpg

It was a fucking great fight though regardless. I loved the first fight but I thought this was even better. Canelo stayed in there and slugged with GGG for most of it this time, which made for some proper edge of the seat exchanges. Both showed a granite chin. Both landed bombs that would've put away most mortals. Just an amazing, thrilling fight to watch. I'm not even joking when I say I could watch these two fight once a year and never get sick of it. Just make September 'Canelo vs Golovkin Month' every year. 

There'll surely be a third fight. What a weird series though. I genuinely feel like Golovkin should be 2-0 up. Instead he's 0-1-1 to Canelo. It's got the feel of the Pacquiao vs Marquez rivalry all over again where the scoreline doesn't reflect what really happened in the fights. 

Undercard was quality as well. Not one bad thing on there and I definitely felt like I got my money's worth. 

Jaime Munguia continues to look like an absolute monster.

d34TXY.jpg

31-0 with 26 knockouts at just 21 years old. He's pretty big for the weight but he fights like a much smaller man. Stopped Sadam Ali, who previously beat Miguel Cotto. Beat up Liam Smith over 12 rounds. And last night he just blew away Brandon Cook in 3. Granted, Cook was a step down from the previous two names but it was an impressive demolition job all the same. Really high on Munguia. My kind of fighter. He does probably get overexcited and too aggressive at times, you can see him getting caught out at some point, but that makes him all the more fun to watch. Him vs Canelo has Cinco De Mayo PPV written all over it, maybe in a couple of years time. 

David Lemieux wiped out Spike O'Sullivan in short order. Just walloped him in a round with a left hook. Spike looked like he'd been clobbered with a hammer.

joPRqC.jpg

NvE7jL.jpg

He was fucked.

Lemieux claiming he was at 50% against Saunders was a load of bollocks though. That's just a nightmare style matchup for him but of course he's not going to admit that. 

And Roman Gonzalez scored a brutal highlight reel 5th round KO in the opener. Totally flattened Fuentes, no need for a count, he was done the second it connected.

XkWyxr.jpg

Exactly what Gonzalez needed after those two losses to Rungvisai last year. He went from being talked about as possibly the P4P king to people questioning if he was ever going to bounce back. Rungvisai really did a job on him but Gonzalez looked tremendous here. Might be just a case of Rungvisai having his number. 

A brilliant night of boxing. It's been an incredible year so far and there's still a third of it left!

I also had GGG winning by 2-4 rounds. 

It wasn't a robbery as such, more like a close fight where the wrong boxer got the verdict. However, Canelo seems to get a lot of help from the judges in Vegas. Some pundits felt he lost to Lara. There was also the 114-114 scorecard that got turned in for his fight with Mayweather. And now we have two instances where the judges have been very kind to him against GGG. Most evidently, with that horrendous scorecard from Adelaide Byrd in their first meeting. 

I can't blame people for thinking that something dodgy is going on. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

It's just happening too often now to be chalked up as a coincidence. The 114-114 card for the Mayweather fight is one of the most ridiculous scorecards ever. That cunt probably had Drago vs Creed a draw before the stoppage/literal killshot. 

• Paid Members

The amount of money Canelo generates for Vegas fights means that if you want to beat him you can't have a close fight. Everyone involved knows which side their bread is buttered, and who brings the most butter to the table. 

Its not exclusively a Vegas problem, we've all seen home fighters win fights they didn't really win on points, but in the end the judges have to work the next week for the same promoter. I'd imagine it's really easy to get blackballed if you give out the "Wrong" score in the promoters eyes. 

Cracking fight though, let's hope they fight again.