Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

@Lion_of_the_Midlands Without looking up his record, Luis Ortiz springs to mind. It's probably him and Stiverne for me. But even Ortiz, wasn't there something with his blood pressure being sky-high? 

Not sure about that. There is speculation that he is older than what he says he is. He's listed as being 39, but some think he's in his mid 40s. 

Still, Ortiz is without question the best Wilder has faced. Szpilka wasn't bad. Stiverne was a decent scalp the first time he fought him. Although, Stiverne was a joke in their rematch. The rest were either mediocre or had seen better days. 

Edit: I forgot he beat Audley. That fight seems like a lifetime ago now. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, David said:

Away and have a think about it, Ebb. Seriously. 

I'm not saying Wilder can't win, but the stuff about smoke and mirrors and Wlad not being arsed is the kind of stuff I expect from a boxing novice, not a hardened vet of the squared circle like yourself.

I have and I still feel the same 😄

All I've said is that I thought Tyson looked poor Saturday night. If you watched that and genuinely believed you were watching some master technician at work, i don't know what else to say. He fought a punching bag and he plodded through it looking tired, slow and he didn't put a dent in a guy who was there to be hit all night long.

I said the Wladamir victory may be a tad overrated and that fans seem to remember it differently to how it actually played out, people seem to think Tysons did some kind of masterclass job on Klitschko when all he basically did was scrape through with a points win in a fight where both men barely landed a punch. Great achievement no doubt but I ain't hanging my off of it, I need to see Tyson fight more at the top level, the layoff robbed us of seeing what Tyson might really be capable of, the jury is still out for me. 

I'm leaving it there though, that's how I'm seeing it...and as I've said, im a Tyson Fury fan, I just think people have got a bit carried away when assessing his abilities, if he goes out and shows me more in future I'll change my opinion.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Also interested that there's been little made of Fury's failed drug test the year of the Klitschko fight, im not saying Tyson was on something whilst fighting Klitscho, but everything went tits up for Fury once he'd got popped. The whole thing is a bit of a mess as Fury failed for a steroid prior to fighting Christian Hammer before he fought Klitschko later the same year, however he wasnt charged or even made aware that he'd been caught until after he fought Klitschko from what i can tell. Its all been a bit swept under the rug because it sounds like it was the drugs angency that completely messed it up but its interesting to note that Fury's failure to return to the ring and subsequent breakdown all came after finding out he'd failed a drug test for steroids. 

Im not even sure if he was even tested prior to the Klitschko fight, i cant find anything online saying they were and were cleared but it appears stringent testing was put in place for the rematch after Klitschko's team found out about the february 2015 failure.

I had completely forgotten that Fury/Klitschko 2 was all set up to happen. Fury pulled out citing an injury but then the fight got rescheduled again  and Tyson pulled out again citing depression but then got popped for a second failed drug test, this time for cocaine.

maxresdefault.jpg

How did i completely forget about that? In my head i thought Tyson won the belts and just went off the rails without scheduling another fight. 

Edited by Egg Shen

On 8/21/2018 at 12:59 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Will it be the steam though Butch, or will it be Smoke?  And mirrors?  Find out in the next double post.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:32 PM, Egg Shen said:

I think i'll leave it there,

20 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

I'm leaving it there though, 

That went well.

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

however he wasnt charged or even made aware that he'd been caught until after he fought Klitschko from what i can tell.

He knew before the Klitscho fight:

Back in June, The Mirror put out an article where they stated that both heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury and his cousin Hughie had tested positive for nandrolone, a banned steroid. They said that this occurred in February and March of 2015, and the boxers met with UK Anti-Doping about it in September of 2015.

Fury vs Klitschko happened two months later in November of 2015. Tyson was charged in June of 2016. 

• Paid Members

Ahh got you. I heard Steve Bunce talk about it on a podcast a few weeks back and said it was a disgrace that the whole thing was hushed and swept under the rug. From all ive read it sounds like Tyson and Hughie used to drug boards own inept approach against them. I mean, how was Tyson even allowed to take the Klitschko fight?

Groves v Smith is on a Friday, 28th September, 9pm ring walks. Saueland says it will be under £20 which probably mean £19:95 at a guess. 6 days after AJ V  Povetkin and less than 2 weeks after GGG/Canelo. Septembers going to be a pricey month. Think i’ll blank the Joshua fight out of the 3 of them.

• Paid Members

Yeh, tough month. Id probably skip paying for GGG/Canelo though given the time it'll start.

The schedule from next week on is absolutely ridiculous.

Decent Boxnation card on tonight though if you're after anything to watch. Beltran/Pedraza, Dogboe/Otake. Nice double header. Oh, and lets not forget the big one! Live from the MEN tonight!

_103161976_cut.jpg

KSI vs. Logan Paul!

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Oh, and lets not forget the big one! Live from the MEN tonight!

_103161976_cut.jpg

KSI vs. Logan Paul!

It’s ridiculous how much coverage this has been getting, even have Michael Buffer for this.

I watched the last YouTube boxing event and it was a shambles as you can imagine, the boxing of course was awful but just the whole show altogether seemed like it wasn’t ran well at all, this one is a PPV though, I won’t be paying £7.50 for this.  Probably be able to watch it at some point this evening.

• Paid Members

I read that the first one had a bigger live viewing audience than this years FA Cup Final, think they've sold out the MEN too, i cant imagine what it would be like sitting in that audience. Crazy times, but fair play to them for utilising their fame i suppose. KSI apparently has plans to turn pro after this.

It isn't sold out, but it's close to being.  I think their brothers are having a fight on the undercard too.  It's utterly bizarre!  I wonder if Barry McQuigan has cried about it yet and how it's hurting the sanctity of the noble art of self defence.

Actually, I know it's not Punk fighting in UFC but I bet there are people pissed off that real fighters aren't being watched but these non fighters can shift tickets by the bucketload.

• Paid Members

Theres a few reactions to it on youtube, Ricky Hatton is positive about it for example. Michael Bisping shit all over it.

To make the whole thing even weirder, throughout the weigh-in, Shannon Briggs can be seen/heard in Paul's camp doing the 'Lets Go Champ' schpiel. What a circus 😂