Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Thanks for that Keith, it was a good watch.

You can always rely on big Mike to call it as he sees it;

Mike Tyson's tour manager tried to storm on to the Sky News set and halt a live TV interview when the former heavyweight boxing champion said he was becoming "irritated".

Sky's Dermot Murnaghan was quizzing Tyson about his life and times in an exclusive interview ahead of a four-stop tour in the UK.

All was going smoothly as they covered the former superstar's ascent to fame and fortune after being crowned the world's youngest ever heavyweight champion at the age of 20 in 1986.

But when the interview turned to his spectacular fall from grace, which saw him jailed for rape and bite a chunk out of fellow heavyweight Evander Holyfield's ear during a comeback fight, things took an ominous turn.

Murnaghan reminded him of the reputation he had then as the baddest fighter in the world, and the fact he had said he wanted to punch an opponent's nose into his brain.

"I want to see how much you've changed, and whether you're a different person," Murnaghan said.

"I don't know if I'm a different person. Change comes in time," Tyson replied.

"You're starting to irritate me now... I guess I did change because I'm not assailing you!"

At that point, Jimmy Clyne, who has organised Tyson's tour of the UK, stormed out of a nearby room and up to the set, where he was headed off by Sky News sports editor Lee Wellings.

"I had to put my hand on his shoulder and tell him 'It's fine, Dermot will keep things under control'," Wellings said.

"He came back to the green room and watched the rest of the interview with a face like thunder."

After Tyson had left the building, Murnaghan said that he had been unaware of anyone about to come on to the set - but admitted that he had wondered how the interview might end.

"He did say I was irritating him, and when you're told that by a man sitting three feet away who once said he wanted to eat his opponents' hearts and drive their bones into their brain, it's scary," he said.

During the chat Tyson dismissed newspaper reports that he may be planning a comeback, saying that at 43 he was too old and out of shape.

Afterwards he set off on the tour which will take in Cardiff, Wolverhampton, Belfast and Maldon in Essex.

He will be speaking to fans about his life and offering the chance to meet him in person.

While in Wales, he will visit the grave of Johnny Owen.

The Merthyr Matchstick was one of Tyson's favourite boxers and he was by the ring when Owen was fatally injured during a fight in 1980.

Edited by hardcore_harry

• Paid Members

the documentary is great, you def. need to check it out.

I live about 10mins away from Merthyr, might pop over to see if i run into Iron Mike...there's a statue of Johnny Owen in the Merthyr town.

• Paid Members
What time's kick off? I can't see myself buying it, but if it's on at a resonable hour, midnight or so, they'll probably show it in the local and I'll watch it there.

the fight will probably be on around 10pm.

• Paid Members

This is fucking retarded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8339636.stm

Arreola receives ban for swearing

Defeated WBC world heavyweight title contender Chris Arreola has been banned for six months for swearing after his loss to Vitali Klitschko in September.

The 28-year-old, who failed to come out for the 11th round of the WBC title bout, has been suspended for swearing in an emotional post-fight interview.

The ban will be back-dated to the date of the fight, which means the American can box again at the end of March.

The WBC approved the sanction at their annual convention in South Korea.

Any of y'all seen the Mike Tyson documentary that came out this year?

I'd love to see that.

Also "The Merthyr Matchstick" is an awful name.

I've put the Mike Tyson documentary on my Xmas list :thumbsup:

Tyson was doing the rounds on the US talk shows over the past month. He spent time on the Oprah show and gave a very frank and honest interview covering all the famous and infamous points of career in great details and didn't duck any questions. Holyfield was watching this from his home and called into the show afterwards as, apparently, they have never spoken since the "bite fight" aside from a cordial passing at an awards dinner a few years ago.

Holyfield said he'd like to meet Tyson so they got them both on the show a week later and effectively buried the hatchet. Holyfield said he held no grudges and that it was important to send out the right message to young people who remembered the fight that you can't go on in life bearing grudges and that he held no ill feeling towards Tyson for what he had done in the second fight. Tyson then said a few words which honestly seemed legitimate and sincere by way of apologising to Holyfield and bring closure to all the bad press over the last 12 years.

Edited by l.e.b.o.w.s.k.i

• Paid Members

The Martin Rogan/Sam Sexton rematch that was on Sky last night was a fun little scrap. You can say what you want about Rogan but he does have entertaining fights. That said, as good a story as his recent success has been I think the fairytale might be over. It might be the end of the line.